• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

Neat!

I wonder how much lattice carrot cutters earn a year?

:smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 5 months later...

Any opinions on this new KitchenAid attachment:  Spiralizer with Peel, Core and Slice

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KSM1APC]-5505597/KSM1APC/

Kind of cool or waste of money?

I don't eat wheat and I was thinking the vegetables as noodle substitute was a nice idea.

Edited to confess that I do eat wheat when mixed with sugar now and again . . . 

Edited by Lindacakes (log)

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Price is a little steep.  I have a couple of spiralizers - used them a few times but then lost interest except in rare instances. 

I guess there is only so much you can do with vegetable noodles before they get sort of "meh" at least to me.   It is much easier to cook spaghetti squash and I can find a lot of other uses for the types of vegetables that can be spiralized. 

I love pasta and there is simply no way the veggie noodles taste the same or have the desirable texture - to my personal taste. 

A friend who has celiac disease told me about the brown rice noodles, no wheat, and I tried a few different shapes, spaghetti, elbows, fusilli, even lasagna noodles.  Turned out very nice.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'd try to see if you can find a live demo (Sur la Table and Williams Sonoma have them) or youtube video. Seems kind of fussy to me and with natural variations of vegetables, I could see it sometimes not working well. I got a hand held spiralizer on eBay for about $12 and have used it a little, but, it's not that interesting to me. (raw spiralized zucchini was okay in pasta salad, not worth $129)

• Like 1

Just another short-term fad.  Stop thinking about it for a few days and the desire will go away.

Or, buy one and after a few weeks it'll end up with it in a box in the garage.

Ask me how many boxes are in my garage.

• Like 1

Just another short-term fad.  Stop thinking about it for a few days and the desire will go away.

Or, buy one and after a few weeks it'll end up with it in a box in the garage.

Ask me how many boxes are in my garage.

How many boxes are in your garage?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Note that it also peels and cores as well as spiralizing.

Funny word, spiralizing . . . 

I have peeler/corers too - the hand-cranked type (originally invented by the Shakers in the mid-1800s)  which works a treat

and I also have an electric "Rotato" still in box, never opened, purchased for my collection of odd gadgets.

I saw one demonstrated at Gottschalks dept store several years ago (store now defunct) and thought it might be worth having.  Apparently somebody is buying them after all these years, as evidenced here.

Amazon sells them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recently bought a Bitoni, this one, It was on sale for 40 bucks and I figured it was worth a try. I enjoy the spiralized veggies in a salad, and am working my way through assorted different kinds of "zoodles." (I can testify zoodles do not play well with white wine sauce and lobster, but are pretty decent with an alfredo sauce.) I like raw cucumber noodles and slices (mine slices as well, and it's easier that the food processor) for salads. Looking forward to trying potato, sweet potato and butternut squash noodles.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Like many others have said, $100 is a lot to pay for a Kitchenaid attachment when you can get a standalone manual unit for a third of the price (or less). I have a Paderno World Cuisine spiral cutter ($30) that works great. It doesn't peel like the Kitchenaid model (functionality I would never use) but it does everything else. I don't think I'll ever buy spaghetti squash again as a substitute for pasta... spiralized squash/zucchini is so much better. These are some spiralized zucchini noodles with the pistachio pesto from Modernist Cuisine at Home -- before I buried everything in Parmesan :

shrimp_pesto.jpg

You can do a lot more than squash noodles though. I like to spiralize root vegetables, roast them, and serve roasted beef on top for a fun twist on pot roast. These are potatoes, parsnips, butternut squash, and turnips: 

pot_roast_noodles.JPG

The best resource online for recipe ideas and techniques is Ali Maffucci's Inspiralized. She also has a cookbook and sells her own brand of spiralizer. If you're curious about what can be done with one of these machines, head over there and check out the blog and recipes (and maybe the YouTube channel) to get some ideas. 

If you're trying to avoid grains or are looking for interesting ways to eat more vegetables, a Spiralizer is well worth the $30. But I'm not sure I'd pay $100 for a model that turns the crank for me.

Funny word, spiralizing . . . 

Not as funny as "Veggetti."

• Like 4

My Paderno has been resting in the cabinet too long. It's one of those things I use a lot then not so much. I'd love to do more carrots but it's hard to find carrots that are fat enough to work well. Normally I avoid selecting extra large vegetables but with my spiralizer it's a must

• Like 2

"Normally I avoid selecting extra large vegetables but with my spiralizer it's a must."

I see that as a rather negative feature, who wouldn't prefer small, tender more flavorful vegetables?

But that's just me, don't let me rain on your parade.

I have a worthless spiralizer from Helen Chen, so I've not used it much. Got a WS 20% coupon yesterday so I decided to try the KA version. I have looked at it, seems well built, but haven't tried it yet. I'll play with it today and report back.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I actually had no idea that such an item existed, let alone in plastic.  Apparently I don't get out much.   :hmmm:

I eat a lot of vegetables and anything that makes them more interesting or tasty is fine by me.  Something I read touted the rutabaga noodle and I love rutabagas.  I think I could do some nice things with kohlrabi spirals.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.