• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

We have the World Cuisine spiral vegetable slicer. My mom was so impressed by the zucchini "noodles" we made with it (we sauteed them with a touch of garlic) that she ordered one for herself.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Today I did marinated quail over zucchini noodles.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150462-eg-cook-off-68-citrus-fruits/?p=2004288

Kerry Beal taught me a neat trick. If you do not want endless noodles then after a couple of revolutions of the handle turn in the reverse direction before proceeding. This cuts the noodles into more manageable lengths for eating (unless of course you are 10 years old).

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Picked up what I'm pretty sure is a curly fry cutter today for a couple of bucks.  It has a clamp which may not work well with my counters and needs a stainless nut and bolt to make it functional - but I'll get it up and running in a couple of days and put up a picture.  

So my counter is too thick to attach the curly cutter - and a single cutting board too thin - but two cutting boards ganged together worked.  It's not the most stable platform for this thing.  

IMG_0145.jpg

But I have 3 big Idaho curly cut potatoes in the oven right now.  

IMG_0146.jpg

And I spiralized some green radish, daikon, asian pear and cucumber and dressed with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a couple of teaspoons of salt.  

• Like 7

Wow. Is it all metal? If so I'm quite jealous.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

All metal - made by Norpro.

Bloody horseshoes! How do you find it in comparison with the plastic Benriner you have? I am guessing it's a bit more of a pain to set up.

My 2004 eG Blog

So my counter is too thick to attach the curly cutter - and a single cutting board too thin - but two cutting boards ganged together worked.  It's not the most stable platform for this thing.  

It's similar to the Nemco one I have, except mine has a larger "foot" with holes for bolting it to a table - or in my case I used a slab of butcher block that I fastened to a cart with retractible wheels so it would stay in one spot. 

The blade plates can be replaced or interchanged.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Not as smooth a mechanism as the Benriner - and a pain having to attach it to a cutting board for sure.  I should try to find a different base to attach it to - or even clamp a board to the counter then clamp the cutter to the board.

Not as smooth a mechanism as the Benriner - and a pain having to attach it to a cutting board for sure.  I should try to find a different base to attach it to - or even clamp a board to the counter then clamp the cutter to the board.

The way it is made, if you have a slab of wood, you could use two  "U" pipe clamps and screw it down to the board.  That is what I would do.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Recently purchased the paderno three blade model and have only had the inclination to make several batches of shoestring fries.

But since this thing is supposed to make healthy eating more accessible I shall have to make some kind of veggie noodles in a stir fry.

I partially spiralized some orange and lemon to make a water infusion but there was too much pith surface area and the water tasted bitter.

My cuisinarts are currently in a drawer in Fiver McGee's closet - the discs divided into a couple of cupboards.  I do have a DLC-X which allows for a bigger potato to be sliced.  Not sure where the mandoline is - ever since the meat slicer incident I'm a little hesitant to find it - always did have a healthy fear of it.

I used the Cuisinart for my gratin dauphinois last night.  The DLC-7 was plenty big for the potatoes, not sure what I was misremembering earlier.  The slices were much more even than what I can achieve by hand.  But they started to discolor as I was assembling the gratin.

However all this is moot, as I burnt the potatoes.  The pan is soaking in the sink.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

JNW :

my tip for the day :

http://premeditatedleftovers.com/recipes-cooking-tips/how-to-prevent-cut-potatoes-from-discoloring/

now for some Fizz as a reward.

the roof's will have to take care of themselves for a bit.

rotuts,

While I'm unable to make any logical connection between Jo's post and your link I can't help but love the whole premeditated leftover concept.

My 2004 eG Blog

[emoji102]Woke up way too early this morning and could not get back to sleep. Stated reading through pages on eG and ended up ordering a Paderno 4 blade spiralizer on Amazon [emoji486]

Resistance is futile!

it prevents discoloration.

"""   But they started to discolor as I was assembling the gratin.  """

more time to sip sip sip.

ie no rush to get that in the oven

After burning the overly salty potatoes I haven't been so hungry for a gratin since the last experiment.  However what I was thinking of doing next time was putting a quantity of water in the bowl of the Cuisinart before slicing the potatoes.  That should rinse off some of the surface starch as well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou