• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

Oh, boy. I've been getting plenty of new toys lately and figure I need to put them through their paces - but this looks like a lot of fun. I was thinking - nay dreaming! - about fried shoestring onions after seeing Anna's and Kerry's recent posts; clearly, I wasn't the only one!

I have my mother's old Salad Shooter at home in a box of things claimed when we cleared out her apartment. I wonder if it will be a good trial version when I get back home?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

well Ive been on the Return Click for some time 

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Spiralizer-4-Blade/dp/B00AW3B5MM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420832431&sr=8-1&keywords=4+blade+spiralizer+paderno

what do I get w that 4th blade ?  

its 16 Bucks !

thats a bit of prue fizz right there

if its worth it , well OK.  saves me some Phantasmagoric Dreams about what Im missing.

any ideas on that 4th blade ?

at least it takes up less counter space that a Cuisi-Steam-Boy

or CSB-Deux

just saying ....

If you click on the "4-blade" box at the right you can see the four blades and it looks like the 4th one is like the blade on the far left of the 3-blade picture....a smaller spiral is what it looks like.

TylerK, I remember when my parents went for a trip to Calabria they brought back some "seccatini". They were nest, like tagliatelle nests, of dried zucchini. I dehydrated them in water to use.

I should try your suggestion, salting them and dehydrating the zucchini, maybe not to the seccatini stage.

I hadn't even thought of taking them to that stage of dryness, but now I'm curious.  It seems like it might be a great way to preserve the massive amounts of zucchini we get around here in the summer.  How did the rehydration effect the final texture? 

I hadn't even thought of taking them to that stage of dryness, but now I'm curious.  It seems like it might be a great way to preserve the massive amounts of zucchini we get around here in the summer.  How did the rehydration effect the final texture? 

Edited by Franci (log)

image.jpg

Breakfast this morning. This is about one quarter of a sweet potato, peeled, spiralized, seasoned with (a little too much) chipotle powder and oven roasted. Topped with a poached egg and a sprinkling of parsley this made a nice change.

I plan to make Dori Greenspan's custardy apple squares this morning and while I was making breakfast it occurred to me that it might be possible to slice the apples with the spiralizer thus avoiding the potential for lacerations using a mandoline. Not too sure yet if this is feasible but intend to find out.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I knew I posted on Egullet at the time: here.

It was maybe 9-10 years ago, I don't have a clear memory of the texture.  I only remember a good meal  (they came with a recipe).  I found a picture of a similar recipe here

Thanks for the recipe.  It looks tasty, and Google translate gave me a good laugh too :)

""  oven roasted  ""

did the sweet pots. get crispy ?

ive found it very difficult to get crispy sweet potatoes.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Using the spiralizer to slice apples for a dessert worked brilliantly.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150338-your-daily-sweets-what-are-you-making-and-baking-2015/?p=2003114

My 2004 eG Blog

It occurred to me that using the benriner spiralizer to cut the veg for a gratin would be a good way to go.

I had 3 kohlrabi, a med sized celeriac and a couple of potatoes.  Took out the shredding blade, cut each veg to the middle along one side so I'd get slices instead of a long ribbon.  

IMG_0115.jpg

So half has the potatoes along with some kohlrabi and celeriac, the other hand just the celeriac and kohlrabi.   Some cream with garlic, salt, pepper, dotted with butter - cheese on my side and it's in the oven.  

• Like 3

""  oven roasted  ""

did the sweet pots. get crispy ?

ive found it very difficult to get crispy sweet potatoes.

Me too. I've tried double frying...starch coating...flour dusting...baking

Me too. I've tried double frying...starch coating...flour dusting...baking

Talking about sweet potatoes...Long time ago, I tried a recipe from shesimmers, here. I remember them crunchy but with an odd flavor due likely to too much baking soda (now the recipe doesn't seem to be available anymore.

But there is an updated version that is on my to do list. Also with a possible spiralizable (sp?) option, click

image.jpg

Inspired by Franci's breakfast and too hungry to wait any longer for lunch time, I made this small sweet potato pancake and topped it with just a little sour cream. Took the edge off my hunger.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

The remainder of the jicama is in the oven, some oil and dutch potato spice on it.  (and totally out of focus apparently)

What is "dutch potato spice" and why is it that when I google the phrase, I get NO results, not even this thread?  Is it top secret?

What is "dutch potato spice" and why is it that when I google the phrase, I get NO results, not even this thread? Is it top secret?

Secrets are hard to keep on eG as we believe sharing is the best strategy. Here you go.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149057-manitoulin-test-kitchen-part-2/?p=1980631

Edited to make sense

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

What is "dutch potato spice" and why is it that when I google the phrase, I get NO results, not even this thread? Is it top secret?

Dutch potato seasoning mix, purchased in Sudbury and noted in a couple of blogs. You kinda have to know where to look. :-)

Edit: Thanks, Anna. I didn't see you were working on the same question.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This just arrived

Brieftons Spiral Slicer: Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer with Special Japanese Blades and 2 Julienne Sizes, Perfect Spiral Cutter for Low Carb Healthy Vegetable Meals - With Manual, Recipes and Cleaning Brush

and its going right back. complete POS

Edited by gfweb (log)

"""  Looked like a good idea """

well, looking is not cooking

just saying

burp ***

Sad.  Soooooooooo  Sad ............

the CSB is not a good idea, Its an Outstanding Idea

but yet ..................

look for the CSB < 200 delivered 

you may or not include Local Tx

Seems to me  .............