• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet popsicle troubleshooting

Lia Tumkus

Hi everybody!

I'm doing popsicles out of my pacojet ice cream! I've been making it in those silikomart silicon molds. The problem is to get the ice cream out of the molds perfectly I need to freeze the ice cream pretty hard, like way below -20C. Only when it gets frozen hard, it comes out in a pretty perfect shape, otherwise it gets all broken. 

The popsicle is a red berry ice cream (this recipe works really well in the pacojet!) and I coat it with a really bright white chocolate (I use titanium dioxide for the colour), looks great, but when you bite in to it you see the ice cristals (yes, I do use stabilizer!). The recipe I use is the following and I would love some inputs on how I can make this recipe softer/creamier after the popsicle gets coated and its store in a normal freezer at -18C.

Red berry ice cream:

600g cream

600g milk

600g red berry puree 

120g yolks

370g açúcar

10g stabilizer 

Thanks for the inputs!!! :)

I'm not sure if this will help you but you could try adding 1 or 2% glycerine to the total weight of your recipe. Glycerine has 4x more anti-freeze power than sugar. When I worked in hotels, I would use it to keep my ice creams and sorbets very cold, but still soft enough to quenelle so it wouldn't lose it's shape waiting for a slow server to get it to the guest. You can find it at chefrubber.com but by adding it, your recipe might not freeze hard enough to come out of your molds cleanly. Good luck.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Thanks for the glycerine suggestion Drewman! I don't know how difficult it will be to take the ice creams out of the molds, but it's definitely worth the shot. It's pretty hard to choose between looking good and tasting great. I wish I didn't have to compromise! I'm gonna look for glycerin and I'll feedback the results :) 

But I'm also guessing pacojet ice creams are not the best type to make this popsicles due to the higher water content. Unfortunately I don't have any other ice cream machine to work with.

Thanks again!

Alleguede the molds are silicon, it shouldn't be a problem to get it out, but the shape of the ice cream is pretty thick, so the bottom always stick to the bottom... I don't know if oil spray could help much but I'm definitely giving it a go!

Interesting what you've said about milk powder! Definitely testing that! And, do you know the percentage of trimoline and dextrose I can use to substitute sugar for? Sounds like great ideas! Thank you!