• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding gluten powder to AP flour for breads and pastry.

Khanna

I live in India and we dont generally get bread flour out here. We have basically AP flour, about 11% protein content. I've tried out recipes i've found on various websites and books, and i've found that lack of gluten tends to become a problem. I have gluten powder available and was wondering if there is a general proportion of gluten powder to add to AP flour to use for breads. It'd be great if someone could help me out, especially if the proportion is in terms of weight rather than volume.

Thanks

I do this all the time.  Based on my research, I came up with a conversion of 1/2 tbsp gluten per cup all purpose flour.  Importantly, this is a substitution, not an addition.  By weight, that's 3.33%, e.g., 15 g gluten for 450 g flour.