• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Disaster or Delight?

I decided to give David Chang's kimchi recipe a shot from his Momofuku cookbook. After fermenting in the fridge for about 10 days, a lot of dark liquid has been collecting at the base of the jar and I'm wondering if it's safe to consume. I don't see that dark liquid in most photos of homemade kimchi, so I'm concerned that perhaps some bacteria was present in the jar (reused from a batch of pickles after cleaning with soap and hot water). Also, the jar lid has not popped outward from the gasses that I believe should be released during fermentation... so that concerns me as well.

Could any kimchi experts comment on whether or not this looks okay? 

Thank you in advance for the help!

kimchi.jpg

I make kimchi of differnt types fairly regularly.  This liquid is not soy sauce (unless you made kimchi with soy sauce, which you usually don't unless making it for strick vegetarian: I substitute fish or shrimp sauce with soy but I don't like it much).  Back to the point,  it is just liquid that is. Shake or stir.  It is fine. 

I make kimchi of differnt types fairly regularly.  This liquid is not soy sauce (unless you made kimchi with soy sauce, which you usually don't unless making it for strick vegetarian: I substitute fish or shrimp sauce with soy but I don't like it much).  Back to the point,  it is just liquid that is. Shake or stir.  It is fine. 

Wawa Sizzli FTW!