• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

VacMaster VP 115 chamber vacuum sealer

seabream

I'm thinking of getting a chamber vacuum sealer for home use.  I'm particularly interested in the VacMaster VP 115 (because it's not as deep as the VP 112).

Does anyone know how tall the VP 115 is with the lid fully open?  Also, any good or bad experiences with this model, or practical comparisons with the VP 112 or VP 120?

I am not sure the height of the VP115 fully opened but can give you the height of the VP215.
Here is a comparison of the two units so you know the measurements of the chamber and can guess a little on the height of the VP115. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/compare-products.cfm?item=120VMASVP215,120VMASVP115,

The VP215 is about 23 1/2" fully opened from highest point, the backside closer to kitchen cabinets will be shorter. My guess would be 19" - 20"

Thank you stckciv for the answer. I asked their customer support and they said that the height of the VP115 is around 17". I have the space and decided to go for it. The VP215 is so nice, but I don't have the vertical space for it...

How do you like your VP215?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up not getting it. I decided to get a combi oven recently, so that's where my budget went. I still have the counter space for it and intend to keep it empty so I have the option to get it in the future.

The VP115 handle is its highest point when the lid is fully open, and just fits inside 16" of height. However, one wants additional room for one's hand to fit over the handle.

Realizing I was beyond the return period, I removed the paper stickers. They'll age and degrade faster than the unit itself, but they're glued on pretty good. VacMaster, make up your mind! Either provide a permanent label as classy as the unit itself, or use labels that peel off as cleanly as those on Rubbermaid products back in their integrity heyday.

Soaking with rubbing alcohol after breaking the surface of each sticker, then scraping with one's finger nails, does the trick. Allow some time, and try to avoid speculating on who VacMaster thinks will actually be operating these machines. Our kids go to school with T-shirt tags sticking up their necks, right, what's one more tag?

This may bother other people less. I'm still scarred by the memory of all those "passed" stickers on SLR cameras from the '70s. Or business folks on planes with "Intel Inside" stickers on their thick black laptops, when our daughter outgrew stickers on her Macbook when she was six.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was gifted a most wonderful thing yesterday:

Oh wow!   I can’t say I’m jealous now but there was a time...  It is surely the most perfect gift for you!   Someone pays attention to who you are and what you do!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh wow!   I can’t say I’m jealous now but there was a time...  It is surely the most perfect gift for you!   Someone pays attention to who you are and what you do!

It's an amazing machine.  Absolutely amazing.  

I'm not kidding when I say I'm vac packing everything lol.

Yes, someone really knows me well and I am very very blessed and lucky.  

It's very heavy.  I ordered a sturdy cart that holds 300 lbs and  Ronnie will transfer it on to that.  It has wheels so I can easily move it and change the oil etc.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was gifted a most wonderful thing yesterday

Yes you were!

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Kewl.  So, do tell - who was the gifter?

If I had the room, this is probably the appliance (or even the smaller 115) I covet the most.

The Vacmaster 215 fairy, of course :)

You have room.  You make room.  You can do it.

• Haha 1

@weinoo

two things are important

the item has to have a very sturdy lid a very good seal

and an oil pump

yet

this is an item you make room for.

you might also plan on one to two more chest freezers

money-mouth.gif.1df71260a06c3b836b3c625f7606cca7.gif

suprise.gif.3d446412f36aa0efbb4236543f415c0b.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

VM's new permanent home.  This stand was very easy to put together and very sturdy.  Now I don't have to worry when I need to change the oil.  I can do it alllll by myself :)

IMG_4940.JPG.4f03d43b64dae0cd9848a61de3c083b7.JPG

Potatoes will go in the bin in the middle.  Other kitchen toys on the bottom shelf.  Or maybe some big bowls.......

• Like 10

@Shelby

Ooooooo Weeeee !

that looks spectacular !

based on my own use

Im hoping that the Trolly is close enough so its easy to use day to day 

that's important I think

possibly thee lower shelves might hold your collection to iPots !

suprise.gif.f8f2b1f82da3306677eae2611339a025.gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

Ooooooo Weeeee !

that looks spectacular !

based on my own use

Im hoping that the Trolly is close enough so its easy to use day to day 

that's important I think

possibly thee lower shelves might hold your collection to iPots !

suprise.gif.f8f2b1f82da3306677eae2611339a025.gif

Yep, it's in an even easier spot than it was on the counter.  On the counter it was right next to the little sink, which wasn't great.  Now,   It's right across from the counter--with another table right next to it if I need to lay things down etc. 

SNAP. 

You are a lucky gal.  I too love my machine.  The bags are so cheap.  It is very easy to use.  I think I have changed my oil once in four years and it was crystal clear and that reminds me I should inspect it again.  We have to move the Cadco Convection out of the way then we can deal with the VacMaster.  Good for you.

DSC02536.thumb.jpg.decc3d14aa99b913407a4b17458972c8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

VM's new permanent home.  This stand was very easy to put together and very sturdy.  Now I don't have to worry when I need to change the oil.  I can do it alllll by myself :)

Potatoes will go in the bin in the middle.  Other kitchen toys on the bottom shelf.  Or maybe some big bowls.......

I have mine on a filing cabinet type thing.  I have it sitting on two pieces of 5/4 deck board, running front to back.  To change the oil, I slide it back so the drain is off the edge, and when I'm done, I just push it back.  The boards have felt stickers on them, which makes it easier to slide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

That's a bedroom in NYC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Having such a good time with this machine.  Hoping to get some watermelon from the garden in a few weeks.  Must try to compress some.

In the mean time, Ronnie found some good t-bone steaks on sale :)

IMG_4952.JPG.348dfc3f979fe08b3e78d72ad37770dc.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Having such a good time with this machine.  

I do hope the “boys” are staying out of the way when you get this enthusiastic!

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog