• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Fat

Shel_B

The pork chops we had for dinner on New Years Eve came with a thick fat cap, much of which was trimmed off.  I saved the fat thinking it may have some use.  Would rendering the fat provide something like lard which can be used for various cooking purposes, or is it just pork fat with limited use?  Thanks!

... Shel

It will render nicely.  Cut into small dice and set on a low, low heat with a couple of tablespoons of water and render until the solids have melted and add more water if needed.  Strain and I keep mine in the freezer 'cause I made a big pot of the stuff with one of the two bags of back fat we got with our Berkshire pig last year.  Or, sausage is easier if so inclined....what no stuffer, just make some nice patties, yum.

Or you may be thinking of suet; a 'special' fat from around the kidneys of cattle or sheep.  But not pigs, as far as I know.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I believe barolo is correct, at least in North America.  For myself I have had good results rendering lard for baking by the MC method...which reminds me I am out of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

commercial lard ( those blocks ) is hydrogenated.

pig fat, however named, just the fat from pig, is healthier than cow and chicken and turkey fat.  probably also lamb fat, but lamb fat

has a terrible taste, at least to me.

but a very far cry from duck fat.

if youve ever had a pie crust from non-hydrogenated natural pig fat, that pie was made in heaven.

not all fillings work w this pie crust though.

Not all brands.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

bacon fat is not lard as its not rendered.

its left w the bacon.

if it were to be trimmed off pre-salting, smoking, and bacon-ing

and rendered, it would be classified as lard.

there is 'hard' and 'soft' pork  ( or really any animal except fowl ) fat

that comes from the connective tissue around the fat cells that hold the cells together.

the hard fat is cut thin and becomes leaf lard, a current rage on the Antipasta plate.

rendering is removing as much tissue from the mass leaving only the fat.

at room temp,  ie your room temp, not mine, lard is soft.

as its less saturated than other animal fat.

its been argued that fat completely rendered ie with no supportive animal issue in the fat

does not have a animal-specific taste.  we are talking generally the animals we commonly eat.

hard to say if this is true. 

That is some fine, fine writing: thought-provoking and funny as well. I particularly love this bit from that article:

"After hanging out in your mouth for a minute, though, a lard-fried crust becomes soft and creamy, as voluptuous as a Rubens nude but not as heavy."

:laugh: 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

"---its been argued that fat completely rendered ie with no supportive animal issue in the fat

does not have a animal-specific taste.  ---------------------------"

Dry rendered or wet rendered may make a difference.

dcarch

a corollary to the " does fat taste " item above, is that

if you remove all the 'fat' from the animals muscle you are about to eat, you cant taste animal specific taste any more

These folks but be from a different 'school' than the above.

pig fat, however named, just the fat from pig, is healthier than cow and chicken and turkey fat.  probably also lamb fat, but lamb fat

has a terrible taste, at least to me.

but a very far cry from duck fat.

if youve ever had a pie crust from non-hydrogenated natural pig fat, that pie was made in heaven.

not all fillings work w this pie crust though.

Oh yeah:  pie crust made from real pig lard is just outstanding.  Especially good when making sausage rolls  :wub: .  Double pig fat coming at you.