• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Thanks Nancy, maybe Valentine's day helped. I normally don't buy strawberries in winter but what to do when a little girl asks for them for her birthday?

For today I made again the raspberry chocolate cake and the white chocolate cake. I made the chocolate cake using less bitter chocolate and a little more sugar to make it more palatable to children. The white chocolate cake is different than the one I made yesterday because it's a genoise, soaked with a simple syrup, plus strawberry purée, some freeze dried strawberry powder and juice of a lemon. The filling is a strawberry ganache mixed with slightly whipped cream. The job didn't really looked professional but I'm very pleased anyway, the taste was very good and I liked them.

image.jpg

• Like 15

Kim, you are an angel on earth to make stuff for your friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc all the time.  Such a generous nature you have. :wub:

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Darienne, I'm a member of the Kim Shook fan club too! I'm always blown away by her posts. I would love to just hang out in her kitchen one day!  :wub:

• Like 5

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Figured it was fine time to bake up some more morning buns today

G1YyKGk.png

• Like 14

Love those cakes, cupcakes and buns posted! Here's a pic of my birthday cake, I make my own every year but still have to please certain children in my family! Four layer chocolate cake with cream filling, buttercream, covered in chocolate coating so it's like a big snack cake! My birthday is on valentine's day so I've been using these same heart pans for a long time!

Thanks for looking!

Ruth

bday2015.jpg

• Like 9

Darienne and Emmalish – thank you so much for the nice comments!

Dave – is your morning bun recipe from Cook’s Country?  That’s the one that I’ve tried and I didn’t get the beautiful rise that you got.  Those are gorgeous!

Ruth – Happy Birthday to you!

• Like 1

Kim the recipe is just puff pastry I made with 56% hydrated bread flour, half milk, instant yeast and plugra with a sugar/cinnamon filling. They proof about an hour before baking after rolling and cutting.

• Like 1

I was trying out this cake design that i have had customers asked about, Rosette Cake:  Chocolate cake, Vanilla buttercream in three different shades of pink.  Not too bad for the first time.  Like my chefs before use to tell me, pratice make you better

IMG_0787.JPG

• Like 22

Shelby, is that like a pecan pie (corn syrup etc. filling) with different nuts? It looks tasty and rich.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

little late for Valentine's day, but this is the dessert sampler I offered for the weekend.

Chocolate Pot de Creme, Red Velvet Macarons, and Passion Fruit Meringue Tarts.

I'm always trying to come up with some new ice creams because I have to make so much, and I can get bored making the same ones :).

So, I did buttered popcorn as the base and then added caramel peanut popcorn. If you don't use the bad for you microwave popcorn in the base, you can't get enough flavor. I used freshly popped with my own butter and sea salt, and decided it needed more so I add the caramel corn.

The other, Raspberry Pinot Chocolate Chip. I'm still patting myself on the back for this one :). It is so good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

Oh my. Can't say as I generally get excited over desserts but oh my! Raspberry Pinot chocolate chip…Beautiful.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby, is that like a pecan pie (corn syrup etc. filling) with different nuts? It looks tasty and rich.

It's exactly like that.  I didn't have any dark corn syrup so I used light....I don't know if it made any difference.   I had been wanting to try this recipe.  It's called Salty Peanut Pie.  When I opened my can of peanuts I discovered that I had dumped a whole bunch of pistachios in there...soooooo....it became peanut pistachio pie lol.

• Like 5

What a bunch of lovely postings

Edited by oli (log)
  • Like 1