• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

Here's a Mozart. It has three thin layers of cinamon pâte sablée (an unusual one made with hard-boiled egg yolk) sandwiching a chocolate mousse studded with caramelised chunks of apple. The original recipe is Hermé.

16643952995_d29eceb382_c.jpg

• Like 17

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

That Mozart is beautiful! I just made the Cooks Illustrated Baking book's recipe for sables and they also used hard boiled egg yolk pressed through a sieve. It was supposed to contribute to the sandy texture and it did - wonderfully!

Very nice, Richard!

That Mozart is beautiful! I just made the Cooks Illustrated Baking book's recipe for sables and they also used hard boiled egg yolk pressed through a sieve. It was supposed to contribute to the sandy texture and it did - wonderfully!

I've always used them for ovis mollis and for margherite di stresa. But these cookies are so fragile

Matthew K – gorgeous cake!  Can I ask about the buttercream type and what tip you used?

Shelby – peanut and pistachio pie sounds wonderful.

RWood – everything looks delicious, but I keep coming back to the caramel popcorn picture!

Ann – I’ve never had a butter tart, being down here in the Southern US, but from the recipes I’ve seen, I know that I’d like them.  You have more than one butter tart recipe on your blog – which one do you thing I should try first? 

Snow day yesterday, so of course I had to bake:

med_gallery_3331_119_74908.jpg

Brooke’s Banana Bread – a recipe a friend gave me some time ago and still my favorite banana bread.  

• Like 9

Brooke’s Banana Bread – a recipe a friend gave me some time ago and still my favorite banana bread.  

Kim, I just happen to have some bananas all ready to bake! Would you mind if this recipe ended up on my website? With appropriate credit given and a link back to wherever you like?

• Like 1

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Kim, I just happen to have some bananas all ready to bake! Would you mind if this recipe ended up on my website? With appropriate credit given and a link back to wherever you like?

I wouldn't mind it at all!  I share everything!  Don't know who to credit, though.  My friend, Skip (internet buddy) my know who to credit since I got it from him.  Would you like me to ask him?  Here's the link to the recipe on my webpage: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/QuickBreads/Brookes_Banana_Bread.html

• Like 1

I found another can of pineapple rings lurking in my pantry (see the "I Will Never Again" thread for further info on that lol) so I figured I better use them up.

Pineapple upside down cake

I used a Southern Living recipe.  I love the texture of the cake.  The recipe has you fold stiff egg whites into the batter so I think that's what makes it nice and fluffy.  However OMG is this cake sweet.  And I like sweets.  I could only eat a couple of bites and gave the rest to my husband.

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

• Like 9

Thanks for the link, Kim! I googled "Brooke's Banana Bread" and found several recipes with that name, all different. I'd love to give proper credit, but don't worry if you can't find it. I can just give you and your friend Skip the credit :-)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you – I was tracking her down.  It turns out that she is a food professional.  Her name is Brooke Parkhurst and her website is: http://www.brookeparkhurst.com/  Her husband is James Biscione (a chef/instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education and a Chopped winner).  They just published a cookbook together and are all over the place – news shows, magazines, etc.  Duh.  I thought she was just my friend’s friend.  Anyway, she was happy to have you do the recipe on your blog.  She’s a sweetie pie. 

Dessert tonight was a sugar-free recipe that a friend wanted me to try out.  This happens to me fairly often.  Someone will see a recipe and ask me to make it.  Does this happen to other people?  I think it is flattering, but a little odd.  It is one of those dessert ‘salads’ made with Jello products.  This one was called Dreamsicle Salad: Jello, pudding mix, SF Cool Whip and canned mandarin oranges.  Perfect dessert to go with my trashy main course:

med_gallery_3331_172_73543.jpg

It was actually not bad, for a SF dessert.  Sometimes it’s nice to have something sweet when you aren’t really supposed to.

I did make one really good thing today.  The recipe was something that I wanted to try from the Black Family Reunion Cookbook - Benne Seed Wafers:

med_gallery_3331_119_78936.jpg

A brown sugar cooky chockfull of sesame seeds.  These were super thin and incredibly crisp:

med_gallery_3331_119_7698.jpg

Sesame is one of my favorite flavors in the world (except for an inexplicable hatred of sesame oil) and I’ve had savory benne wafers, but I love halvah, so I wanted to give these a try.  I’m so glad I did.  They are a keeper recipe that I’ll be making again and again. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6

Kim, you RULE!  :wub:  Thank you so much!

And yes, I totally get requests to make things for people all the time. I mostly don't mind because I love baking, but I don't always accommodate, because I totally have my own list of recipes I want to try!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Yes, Darienne - sugar free.  Sorry - I use the abbreviation SF and GF (gluten free) in my own notes all the time and sometimes forget to change them!  Thanks, Shelby!

emmalish - you are very welcome.  Did I happen to mention how good some chocolate chips or (sweet Jesus) peanut butter chips are in this bread?  Swoony, really!

• Like 2

I have a break from wedding cakes for a couple weeks, so I had time for a special this weekend.

Salted Caramel Chocolate Gateau-walnut brownie base, salted caramel mousse, Creme Fraiche chocolate cake and chocolate cremeux.

I plated it for the picture with some salted caramel ice cream I had just made, but it's so rich, I didn't end up serving it with anything else except sauce on the plate

image.jpg

• Like 12

RWood

Im not much for 'fancy' plating, and I dislike Shmears.

this is the only one Ive seen that works really really works well

the lines of the shmear match the lines of the cake.

fantastic.

:biggrin:

PS  bet its tasty too.   see  ....   the shmear distracted me from the point of the whole thing !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

RWood

Im not much for 'fancy' plating, and I dislike Shmears.

this is the only one Ive seen that works really really works well

the lines of the shmear match the lines of the cake.

fantastic.

:biggrin:

PS  bet its tasty too.   see  ....   the shmear distracted me from the point of the whole thing !

Yeah, I'm not a plater to begin with, not something I like to do that much anyway.

And I just try something for a picture, but I never know what will be done when it goes out. Our pantry guy is creative, but when there are over 500 resos on a Saturday (like this past weekend), it probably gets the fastest plating possible.

It is very tasty though :)

• Like 3

For the 3,187th time I was all set to make a pie crust and then I chickened out lol.  Soooooo, for Pi day I made one of those ridiculously easy Impossible pies and busted out a jar of my canned peaches to go on top.  Not too bad :)

photo 2.JPG

• Like 11

Ive never heard of Impossible easy pies.  thanks

I dont have a peach tree, but I get canned peaches in natural juice (  :huh: )  add the contents to an old mayo jar w 1/4 - 1/2 cup dark rum

and keep that in the refrig.  canned pears also w the rum.

now all I have to do is remember to get a box of bisquick.  !

• Like 1