• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

I'm not sure of that recipe, but one I use sometimes uses evaporated milk rather than condensed milk and that helps bring the sweetness down a bit. The recipe is from Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen.

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Yesterday, I finished making apple turnovers. My daughter walks in from school this afternoon, "Where's the apple turnovers?" I told her, "It's not to eat everyday."  :biggrin: I love having "fast food" in my freezer because they are a lifesaver when I'm not in the mood to make a big to-do for meals.

APPLE TURNOVERS 

apple_turnovers.jpg

• Like 14

I made a low sugar German oil cake (based on a recipe that had about half the sugar of comparible recipes) to which I added blueberries (which all sank to the bottom) and grated potato. I added the potato to increase the moistness of the cake, and the cake was indeed moist and still good to eat even on day three. Although thinking now I realise that using oil rather than butter will have addeed to the moistness too so I don't really know what effect the potato had. On the plus side the potato was barely noticible (mashed might be even less noticible) so I will definitly use it in future experements.

• Like 3

had some local apples that were given to us - not sure but think they were pippins, the folk had no idea and neither do I.  chunked up and made into a cranberry and apple bake with a n oatmeal streusel.  Not sweet at all and topped with some aged cheddar that melted  - like apple pie but without the flabby crust.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made an apple pie the other day and used a new (to me) technique for the apples.  I do not care for my apples to be crunchy in pie.  I know some people don't pre-cook their apples, but I do because no matter how thinly I slice them, they don't get done enough for me when baking the pie.  So, in cruising around the internet I found a recipe from Serious Eats that calls for boiling water (or apple cider--which I didn't have or I definitely would have used) and pouring it over the sliced apples.  You let them sit for 10 mins (I covered mine with a towel) then drain and let them sit for 10 more minutes.  Then you toss the apples with your spices etc. and make the pie.  The apples were perfect (to me).

The picture I took of my slice of pie is too terrible to post, but it tasted good :)

• Like 5

consider the microwave   after you learn the times etc.  you can then drink the cider.  the harder the better.

its that time of the year in N.E.  just don't get the pasteurized stuff 

Edited by rotuts (log)

What else do you make when you're having company for lunch and you want to serve old fashioned Jewish food? Date and nut bread, among other things! This is a family recipe from probably the 50s or earlier...

Thanks for looking!

Ruth

datenutbread.jpg

Edited by rajoress (log)
  • Like 5

my husband loves this it was one of the first things I learned to bake and I made it for our first breakfast together.… if you do not mind sharing a recipe?  I am always looking to improve on this one ….he adores it and our anniversary is coming up I would love to surprise him with a loaf for breakfast and see if he remembers  

What else do you make when you're having company for lunch and you want to serve old fashioned Jewish food? Date and nut bread, among other things! This is a family recipe from probably the 50s or earlier...

Thanks for looking!

Ruth

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Hummingbirdkiss - thanks for asking! Here it is paraphrased from memory:

I took a 1 lb package of Trader Joe's medjool dates and cut them into bite size pieces. You then mix them with 3 cups of boiling water and 3 teaspoons of baking soda and let stand until cool.

With the mixer, blend together 6 tablespoons of butter with 3 cups of sugar. Add 4 eggs, one at a time and 2 teaspoons of vanilla and mix until smooth. Add in the cooled date mixture - it's very watery! Then mix in 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of chopped nuts (I used walnuts). Blend until completely mixed, the batter is very thin and a light brown color. I filled 3 loaf pans, one small, one medium, one large and they all baked for about an hour. The large one for about 70 minutes. They bake up darker than the batter. I'm not sure how this compares to other recipes out there, this one was passed down from a cousin to my mother to me and I think it's the only one I ever ate!

Good luck and happy anniversary!

Ruth

• Like 1

It was my birthday yesterday, so the day before I  decided to make a Boston Cream Pie.  I've never made one before but aside from sour cherry pie it's probably my favorite dessert.  

Now, we all know that I'm kind of dessert/baking challenged.  I found a recipe here on eGullet and also one from one of my favorite bloggers.  I must have read the blogger's recipe at least 10 times and I finally decided she left a few things out and messed up some measurements.  Anyway....I kind of combined the two recipes and hoped for the best.

I made the cream filling first.  I figured if I screwed that up, then I would stop there and just eat runny pudding lol.  It came out really good.  

So, I forged ahead and made the cake batter.  The blogger recipe called for a 9" cake pan making one cake and then using a serrated knife, slicing the cake in half.  PROBLEMS lol.  I only have one 10" springform pan....but I thought "Eh, what's an inch? It'll be fine."  Wrong.  No freaking way I could slice that skinny cake in half.  So, while the first cake was baking I made a second batch of batter (note to self: buy another 10" pan).  The first cake I only sprayed the pan with non-stick spray.  Took me a HELL of a long time to get that cake unstuck and it looked like crap.  The second pan I got smarter and sprinkled flour on the spray.  Much better.  So, I used the ugly cake for the bottom and the pretty cake on top.  Made the frosting (ganache?).  It could have been better, but by that time I was super sick of this freaking cake lol.  

By last night I was ready to see it again  :laugh: so we each had a big piece.  Not too bad  :biggrin:

PA100828.JPG

PA100837.JPG

• Like 14

Fortunately DH and I are not big on appearance...but very big on taste.  So, Shelby dear, if the dessert tasted good, it's fine by me.

It's also Ed's favorite all time dessert...but not with the regular prescribed cream filling.  Oh no, his Mother was a butter-happy baker and so the filling must have w-a-a-y more butter in it.  Of course, they did live right beside her Father's dairy farm...

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Shelby, Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a great day! 

The cake looks and sounds delicious. 

We have a large chain of restaurants in Canada called Boston Pizza. I don't know why the name, is it supposed to be Boston-style pizza? Does anyone know? Anyway, they used to have Boston Cream Pie on their menu and sometimes I would go there just to share some BCP with a friend (they were fairly generous portions). But then they removed it from their menu. When I next had a craving for some, I decided to make my own. It was a bit of a pain but, like yours, it was pretty tasty. But it makes a lot of cake! You need friends to help finish it off. Or pets, maybe. Ha.  :laugh:

• Like 2

Shelby, Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a great day! 

The cake looks and sounds delicious. 

We have a large chain of restaurants in Canada called Boston Pizza. I don't know why the name, is it supposed to be Boston-style pizza? Does anyone know? Anyway, they used to have Boston Cream Pie on their menu and sometimes I would go there just to share some BCP with a friend (they were fairly generous portions). But then they removed it from their menu. When I next had a craving for some, I decided to make my own. It was a bit of a pain but, like yours, it was pretty tasty. But it makes a lot of cake! You need friends to help finish it off. Or pets, maybe. Ha.  :laugh:

Thank you!!!!

It does make a lot of cake...something I had not thought ahead about.  So, I have implemented a new rule:  Dessert must be eaten after breakfast, lunch and dinner until said cake is gone.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Shelby

Hippo birdie two ewes!!!!  :wub:

A kindred spirit you are.  I am not a big sweets fan but I ADORE Boston Crème Pie.

I made one about 3 weeks ago - semi homemade.  I made the ganache and the pastry crème then visited one of my local stores that has a bakery department.  For 3.00 I was able to buy two 9" rounds of a basic vanilla cake.  SCORE!

Reheat the ganache a bit so you can pour it in the middle of the top and encourage it to gently drip down the sides.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shelby

Hippo birdie two ewes!!!!  :wub:

A kindred spirit you are.  I am not a big sweets fan but I ADORE Boston Crème Pie.

I made one about 3 weeks ago - semi homemade.  I made the ganache and the pastry crème then visited one of my local stores that has a bakery department.  For 3.00 I was able to buy two 9" rounds of a basic vanilla cake.  SCORE!

Reheat the ganache a bit so you can pour it in the middle of the top and encourage it to gently drip down the sides.

Thank you!

NICE!  I would have happily forked over $3 and not made the cake lol.  

I actually have some ganache left....may have to do that this evening :)

"Old" ganache ?

I 'heard' this somewhere, having 'no' personal experience    :blink:

get an old B&W movie

these two work best :

" Maltese Falcon "  or " Casablanca "

then 

1 ) watch, after a nice dinner

2 ) with very clean fingers, 'finger out i.e. using your designated finger' as scoop or two from time to time

during the movie

I have No Idea how I know this    but i do.

this only works w HomeMade ganache

those Tubs of Lard in the grocery store ?

they don't work and will kill you.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Shelby, Happy Belated Birthday.   You made one of my favourite cakes. Love Boston Cream.   Hope you had a wonderful day.

Yesterday was our Canadian Thanksgiving.  Made an apple pie for dessert.

Apple%20Pie%20October%2012th%2C%202015-L

Ready for the oven.  Hand cut the  leaves for a top crust.

Apple%20Pie%20October%2012th%2C%202015%2

Just out of the oven.

• Like 15