• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

Cake?  Apples?  Rustic?  Easy?  I'm in.  We have just a very few apples left from the thousands (and thousands) which our nutsy Macintosh tree produced this year and which we drove ourselves like navvies to process.  So, this cake for tonight I think.  Thanks.  Found the recipe online.

AnnT: lovely looking cake.  Just what kind of pan is it baked in?

Oh, not to mention that crunchy sugary topping which looks devine.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am going to make it as well I have everything and i bet it would go in that cookie oven if I use a shallow pan …the sugar crack on top sucked me right it ..It looks kind of like a breakfasty cake to me and that is a hit around here and the second countertop is being poured so this and a pot of coffee should keep them moving …I really love the tone of photo that is a Sunset Magazine cover right there! yup! warm suck your thumb twirl your hair kind of cake to me 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I think if there were apples in the house at the moment I would be right in there making this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Ann_T.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cake?  Apples?  Rustic?  Easy?  I'm in.  We have just a very few apples left from the thousands (and thousands) which our nutsy Macintosh tree produced this year and which we drove ourselves like navvies to process.  So, this cake for tonight I think.  Thanks.  Found the recipe online.

AnnT: lovely looking cake.  Just what kind of pan is it baked in?

Oh, not to mention that crunchy sugary topping which looks devine.

Darienne, the recipe calls for an 8" round, but I used an oblong springform pan.

Shelby, I often sub sour cream for yogurt and vice versa.

• Like 2

Going to try for the apple cake today.  The few apples left on the tree turned out to be yet another two dozen...will this never end?...and I never got at it.  That will be three apple cakes this fall.  (Not to mention the long list of other apple items produced.  Still have Hard Apple Cider left to make.)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My, how the time flies. I think my last post on eGullet was about 6 years ago. It's good to see that at least some of the same members are still about, still sharing delicious experiences. Here are a few of the things I've done recently. The cake was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and salted caramel sauce. 

Absolutely stunning 

• Like 1

Apple%20Yogurt%20Cake%20David%20Rocco%20\\

Baked David Rocco's Apple Yogurt Cake yesterday.  

Very easy, simple cake to make.  Definitely making this one again.

Made the cake.  Of course I had to modify it slightly...a layer of chopped pecans under the sugar topping.  DH thinks everything is improved by chopped nuts.

Delicious cake.  :wub: :wub:  The lemon zest absolutely makes the cake for me.  Thanks Ann_T and of course David Rocco.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I wanted to have a go at the glazing technique discussed here - needless to say, it didn't come off as planned.

Orange and Vanilla.jpg

Orange and vanilla cake

Almond dacquoise

Orange marmelade

Vanilla mousse

Orange curd

Fortunately, I took the photo when the cake was still frozen - while it still looked good.  Something must be up with my scales, recipe or calculations, because my mousse barely held itself together and slumped when it came back to room temperature.  That, combined with the dacquoise that wept like a lost child and the general poor balance of the elements...

Let's just say, it needs some work.

• Like 6

Shelby – Seriously????  I’ve used those crusts, but NEVER had them turn out so fluffy and flaky! 

Ann – I love the look and sound of that apple cake.  If I weren’t baking a billion other things this week, I’d be making this.  My MIL is doing Thanksgiving this year and if she will ever tell me what she wants me to bring, maybe I’ll do this!

Bake sale baking –Chocolate cupcakes with mini chips:

med_gallery_3331_119_11182.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_79395.jpg

Two dozen.

Ginger Chewies w/ Sugar Babies:

med_gallery_3331_119_28422.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_35937.jpg

Five dozen.  These are the weirdest cookies.  Always delicious, but flat as a pancake.  Sigh.

Amy’s Super Cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_31881.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_44815.jpg

Five dozen.  Lovely cookies – ground up oats, PB, chopped chocolate AND chocolate chips.  Don’t know why I haven’t made them in years!  

• Like 14

WOW, Kim, everything looks great.  A LOT of work up there!  Every time you make those cookies with the sugar babies in them I kick myself because I want to do those.  Then, I forget.  I need to see if I can order some of those candies on Amazon.  I swear that crust was straight out of the box.  If it wasn't Pillsbury, then it was Best Choice brand (we buy both).  The only thing I do is roll them out a little more.....  I can't make a pie crust to save my life and I'm tired of trying lol.

I lied to all of you.  I didn't make the apple cake.  I had too many apples to use up so I made a crisp.  Well, I call it a crisp.  Maybe it's a cobbler? Apples tossed with sugar, cardamom and cinnamon (I used the Serious Eats method again of pouring boiling cider over the apples to make the softer...good method.  Last time I used water, this time I had cider.  Really good)  Then topped with a mix of oats, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and butter.  Not a pretty picture but it tasted good.

PB080898.JPG

Host's note: this topic is continued in Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015-2016)

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 8