• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

Shelby – Happy Belated Birthday!!!  Your Boston Cream Pie looks delicious!  Instead of all that greasing and flouring, you should try just spraying the pan with Pam and lining the bottom with parchment paper.  I haven’t done the grease and flour thing for years and I haven’t had a cake stick since I started using parchment paper.  Works great for cookies, too.  I bake a LOT, but I’ve never tried a Boston Cream Pie before.  Believe it or not, I’ve never done a pumpkin pie, either and that is exactly what my church lady (see below) has requested for her next dessert.  I’m feeling a bit like this: :unsure:

Ann – what an absolutely gorgeous pie!  And lots of delicious, crispy edges that way!

I donated 6 desserts to a fundraiser auction at church.  This was the winner’s third request: 

med_gallery_3331_119_668.jpg

Coconut cream pie.

Last Sunday for coffee after church – chocolate cupcakes:

med_gallery_3331_119_182049.jpg

And Chufi’s Gouda biscuits:

med_gallery_3331_119_23119.jpg

Folks who have been here a long time will remember Chufi. Another missing veteran!  These biscuits are wonderful.  Like a combination of a cheese straw and a biscuit.  They are made with aged Gouda.  

• Like 13

Lovely work, excv! Is that an edible gold flake I see on a few of those? =) Nice touch. I'd be all over those...Earl grey is my fav!!!

Thank you :) and yes, those are gold flakes! I only recently bought some for the first time and I'm totally in love. Really boosts that ~luxury~ feel of chocolate.

Got in a 25# case of Seckels this week. I just love them, so cute.

This is an almond cake, with the pear poached in Zinfandel, orange, star anise, cardamom and vanilla. Serving it with mascarpone ice cream and the reduced poaching liquid. Very fall/wintery favors.

image.jpeg

• Like 12

My, how the time flies. I think my last post on eGullet was about 6 years ago. It's good to see that at least some of the same members are still about, still sharing delicious experiences. Here are a few of the things I've done recently. The cake was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and salted caramel sauce. 

1.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 21

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

/22404979272_4117369b56.jpgshelby that is my all time favorite pie! 

maple black walnut butter cookies plated nicely on a paper towel because it is either that or a paper boat now 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 12
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

My, how the time flies. I think my last post on eGullet was about 6 years ago. It's good to see that at least some of the same members are still about, still sharing delicious experiences. Here are a few of the things I've done recently. The cake was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and salted caramel sauce. 

I've not been able to get that cake out of my mind.  How do I find the recipe, I would love to be able to make it for our next party?

Edited by oli (log)

And the rest? Particularly the last photo, those muffin-shaped rolls. Beautiful, all of it.

The rolls are butterflake rolls. So good. I was recently on a carb kick, and made a lot of rolls. Love the butterflake rolls and Parker House rolls also (attached). Also in the post was a blueberry cream cheese danish, and italian meringue macarons filled with white chocolate ganache infused with dehydrated powdered strawberry.

4.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

Edited by Patrick S (log)
  • Like 9

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Oli,

I made that cake a few weeks ago for my sister-in-love's birthday. The cake was made using Hershey's chocolate cake recipe. After all these years, I still find it one of the best chocolate cake recipes. I bake in 8" rounds, bake using cake strips, cut each cake in half using the cake saw. And I only use Dutch process cocoas.

https://www.hersheys.com/celebrate/holidays/recipedetail.aspx?id=184

The buttercream is RLB's neoclassic buttercream infused with vanilla. Again, an easy and reliably delicious recipe.

The salted caramel sauce - I can't recall which recipe I used, but I made the sauce and applied it with a squeeze bottle. I also applied the sauce between the layers, on top of the buttercream.

• Like 5

Oli,

I made that cake a few weeks ago for my sister-in-love's birthday. The cake was made using Hershey's chocolate cake recipe. After all these years, I still find it one of the best chocolate cake recipes. I bake in 8" rounds, bake using cake strips, cut each cake in half using the cake saw. And I only use Dutch process cocoas.

https://www.hersheys.com/celebrate/holidays/recipedetail.aspx?id=184

The buttercream is RLB's neoclassic buttercream infused with vanilla. Again, an easy and reliably delicious recipe.

The salted caramel sauce - I can't recall which recipe I used, but I made the sauce and applied it with a squeeze bottle. I also applied the sauce between the layers, on top of the buttercream.

Thank you very much Patrick, I hope I can make it as artistically as you.

Wonderful pics posted by all! Here are a few fall things from this past weekend. Pumpkin scones with two icings and Halloween decorated chocolate chip cookies. I think both ideas are from the blog mybakingaddiction. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

Halloweencookies.jpg

pumpkinscones.jpg

• Like 13

Two cakes for a wedding reception/Halloween party combo. The skull was used as the groom's cake, and the tiered cake is covered in wafer paper printed with an image similar to their invitations. Cake lace spider webs and fondant branches.

image.jpeg

• Like 14

RWood, love the cakes especially the skull.  Nice play on the traditional sugar skulls we see in Mexico.  What is the skull sitting on?

Is it paper, fabric or what?  It is just fantastic and I covet it :wink:

• Like 1

Patrick – that is one gorgeous and delicious sounding cake!  Welcome back – I love seeing old timers coming back!

Shelby – that crust on your pie looks perfect!  Care to share your recipe?

My baking marathon for our church Holiday Market begins tomorrow.  Today’s shopping:

med_gallery_3331_122_35332.jpg

I’m making: 

Chocolate cupcakes w/ mini chocolate chip topping

Peanut Butter Krispy Bars

Meringue “Cupcakes”

Gingerbread Cake w/ Cranberry Filling and Orange Cream Cheese Icing

Bleu cheese shortbread w/ fig preserves

Mike’s apple cake

Ginger chewies with Sugar Babies

Amy’s Super Cookies (they have a little of everything in them)

• Like 10

RWood, love the cakes especially the skull. Nice play on the traditional sugar skulls we see in Mexico. What is the skull sitting on?

Is it paper, fabric or what? It is just fantastic and I covet it :wink:

Thanks, it was a fun cake to make. I just kinda winged it on the design. I dug out all the smallest cutters I had and just went with that. The board is nothing unusual. It's a foam core board that I covered in black fondant. The white cut outs are the same as the black ones on the skull. Some odd little cutter that I found at Sugar Art Studio. Called Nova. Supposed to be able to use it in a multitude of shapes and directions. The board was supposed to have a ribbon to cover the white part, but that and not removing the other cake from the cardboard are what happens when someone else sets up things. Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 1