• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

Thanks CP - that is pretty simple and straight forward! I will see in the morning if my supplier still has stock and if so, give it a go in the afternoon if we do not have power cuts (or even try the gas oven). Just confirm, you do not cook the rhubarb first - just raw product into the batter? John.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Yes, just raw rhubarb straight into the batter , because the cake will be in for 50 min  all in all, the rhubarb will becomes moist and lovely. Most  rhubarb recipes used  raw rhubarb, well not the rhubarb spring rolls but most pies do.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

20150522_135236_zpsflhudvdv.jpg

My daughter made me this birthday cake today  or should I say, i baked the cake, made the rhubarb jam, custard , meringue, sliced half of the strawberries  because she was sad  mum wasn't getting a birthday cake. Then  she and my brother  filled, stacked and decorated the cake as a surprise  for me  when I was out for lunch with hubby,

• Like 9

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Yoda! :) First step for a Star Wars cake I'm making for a friends birthday in a week or so. My first figure, I think he's cute.

Now, gotta figure out a Death Star, and maybe Chewbacca.

image.jpg

• Like 17

How adorable!!!!  I like it.

Why not make a  cake ball  death star  or  a ball cake death star.  Ann Reardon at how to cook that has a Starwars cake,  maybe loo at that for inspiration !

• Like 1

On this rainy afternoon I'm baking barazek. I had never heard of this before, but I happened to see a photo somewhere and it was love at first sight. It's a middle eastern treat, they seem to have originated either in Lebanon or Syria. It's a butter cookie that is rolled into balls, dipped into pistachios on one side and then a sesame seed-honey mixture on the other side. Put on baking sheet, flatten, and then bake. First batch is in the oven. There are many different versions of this cookie. I pretty much followed this one: http://chefindisguise.com/2012/12/12/honey-pistachio-sesame-cookies-barazek/

• Like 2

Made the barazek. Now this is one good cookie. I have trouble loading photos, but the truth is they look exactly like the photos on the website. A bit of a pain to make with all the dipping, but then I found a YouTube that showed another method, which made it much easier. The cookie is not very sweet, which surprised me because of the honey/sesame seed topping. It's a bit crumbly in texture. Very nice flavor, the sesame/honey is distinctive, the pistachios a nice surprise. Some of the recipes I've seen add different flavors to the cookie dough, one had some mahleb, another added a bit of orange water. I think both would work well but they're not necessary. I don't know where this cookie has been hiding, but I'm glad I found it!

• Like 7

Made these squares yesterday: Caramel Crunch Bars by Dorie Greenspan for a workshop I was supposed to attend.  Barbara, my confectionery partner, who so kindly bought me the Heath pieces on her way home from a bigger city would love them.  The meeting is at her home and I always bring goodies.  It's only fair.

However, unexpected issues are keeping me away.  Now.  What to do with these scrumptious  cookies which I cannot afford to have in the same house as I live.  Or DH either.  I wonder if they would freeze well?  Or maybe the neighbors up the road would like them.  They have three school-age kids.

Still, I have to say I could easily do without the Heath pieces...or use real caramel bits. 

Caramel Crunch Bars Dorie Greenspan.JPG

• Like 10

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Those caramel bars look delicious - as does everything else on this thread! This is the third and last birthday cake for the month of May - strawberry and cream cake. A lovely three layered dense yellow cake, almost a pound cake, covered in whipped cream mixed with cream cheese, sugar and diced strawberries. It tasted like strawberry shortcake. My mother, who was one of the birthday girls, loved it. Thanks for looking! Credit goes to the yellowblissroad blog.

Ruth

strawberrycreamcake.jpg

Edited by rajoress (log)
  • Like 13

WoW  !!

so delicious looking !  and Im sure its delicious tasting.

thanks for not doing the Back-of-Spoon  Schmear on the those Dot like things.

it would not be so tasty Im sure.

Ive canceled my own desert.  I got nothing.

Oh my goodness, such amazing stuff from everyone lately.  I just looked through this thread and realized I've been missing in action for *almost half a year* which is utterly inexcusable.  So here are the last 6 months' greatest hits!

Orange spice cake with orange-amaretto glaze and almond encrustation.

Orange.jpg

Death By Chocolate Cake for the citywide Carnaval's Festival of Fruits, Flowers, and Bread competition, and the full table of my entry.  I swept all categories, which was unheard of in the 66-year history of the festival.

Torta Chocoamor.jpg

Puesto-Pancan.jpg

Benjamin and Sofia's 5th Birthday Cake.  Three layers of chocolate chiffon filled with coconut buttercream and covered in fondant.

Ben Y Sofia.jpg

Cinnamon Yummmmm

CinnamonYumm.jpg

• Like 19

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

rajoress – oh, dear.  I went straight to the blog and printed out the strawberry cake recipe.  That cake just reached out and grabbed me!

Some recent baking:

Daiquiri pound cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_39140.jpg

Missed getting a slice picture, but the texture was nice, as usual.  This is a real go-to recipe for me.  I’ve never had it fail and I started baking it as a teenager!

Did some orange rolls for a ladies of the church meeting:

med_gallery_3331_119_68502.jpg

These are cheat-y, but delicious rolls.  They start with whomp Crescent rolls, but then the filling and glaze are made with fresh orange zest and OJ concentrate, so that redeems them somewhat. 

Made some Torie’s Cherry Chocolate-Chunk Cookies for an party at Mr. Kim’s office:

med_gallery_3331_119_138962.jpg

• Like 11

Death By Chocolate Cake for the citywide Carnaval's Festival of Fruits, Flowers, and Bread competition, and the full table of my entry.  I swept all categories, which was unheard of in the 66-year history of the festival.

Congratulations, Panaderia C.!

That is quite an accomplishment, and I am so glad for you!  :wub:

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Glad to see you back on eGullet, PanaCan.  You've been missed.  :wub:   As usual, your array is breathtaking and delicious. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

looks good

I like limes and have a few to up

do you use this Rx ?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/10-minute-lime-cracker-pie-recipe.html

would lower salt crackers work, if they existed ?

maybe some CoolWhip on top ?

Yes, that's the exact recipe I use.  :smile:

Lower salt crackers would definitely work. 

Be sure you let it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours.  The crackers take on a cheesecake type texture.

The pie is pretty sweet so I wouldn't put any cool whip, but it would be good if you want it  :smile:

Hah!  Half my photos didn't attach.  So here's some more, including extreme amounts of fun with gumpaste.

Altar bread for the big Easter masses at the Ambato Cathedral - the Bishop asked for my bread specifically, which was tremendously flattering. These loaves are sweet quinua Challah, and they're about 3 lbs each (since there's nothing to indicate scale, I should mention they were baked in 30 cm diameter tall springform pans.)

cabrODW.jpg

Tito's 5th Birthday, complete with Spidey.

KE3NXO2.jpg

qBvwuaL.jpg

r5VEsGQ.jpg

I5YPKWi.jpg

Layla turned 6 (this is the same girl who wanted mermaids last year)

c63t0qd.jpg

Fernando turned 40, and proved that sugar figurines are definitely not just for kids!  These are players from his favourite football team, Liga de Quito.

DNGDgm4.jpg

u7TGugk.jpg

Yg5BIBS.jpg

Mother's day brought a tonne of cakes; this pair are representative of the 60 cakes I delivered over a 2-day period.

DfDND1e.jpg

02643pz.jpg

And finally, Dorian had his first communion.  These are a coconut chiffon cake and a carrot cake, under all that fancy-pants fondant and royal icing work.

zZdmFja.jpg

vNGxYHR.jpg

jRFtoAg.jpg

Also, last weekend in the town of Cevallos, Panaderia Canadiense took first prize as best booth in the show, which was a sort of best-of the county's produce.  I was invited to attend because I'm part of the value-added chain of producers who use quinua grown there.  The only other participants to win prizes at this show were guinea pigs…..  (And yes, that's me.)

lS0PxWM.jpg

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 21

The Star Wars cake got changed to Maleficent. My friend I made it for is into the whole Cosplay thing, and she usually dresses as that character.

The plaque is gumpaste, painted with cocoa butter mixed with petal dusts.

She almost cried when she saw it, was a big surprise.

image.jpg

• Like 14

The Star Wars cake got changed to Maleficent. My friend I made it for is into the whole Cosplay thing, and she usually dresses as that character.

The plaque is gumpaste, painted with cocoa butter mixed with petal dusts.

She almost cried when she saw it, was a big surprise.

Do you have a stencil for getting the lettering that even?  Or how is that done?  I'd love to be able to replicate the effect on my cakes.

Panaderia,

Gorgeous, gorgeous work. Congratulations! You are very deserving of the award.

Best, Anna N

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog