• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

The recipe I use calls for flour, so no bisquick needed :)  I left out the coconut (didn't have any), and didn't melt the butter (I whizzed all of the ingredients in the blender for a minute)

http://www.joscountryjunction.com/impossible-pie/

• Like 2

I like the boozy fruit idea.  I still have some fruit from when I was going to make a Black Cake many, many moons ago.  With S-i-L and B-i-L coming on Thursday and having some whipping leftover from the last Margarita Pie, I could make the Impossible Cake, leave out the coconut a la Shelby, and top with the boozy fruit and whipped cream.  I could even melt the butter...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In this same thread last year I promised to post my recipe for Malva Pudding and properly forgot to do so. For those interested, here it is. Please note that it is easy to reduce the quantity by thirds to make a smaller amount. It does not have to be made in individual servings and a large one is easy to make and cut. Sorry, my photography is pretty bad. John

image.jpg

MALVA PUDDING

Makes 12 large dariole moulds.

Ingredients:

Pudding

60g butter or margarine

220g white sugar

3 large eggs

100g smooth apricot jam

10 ml (2t) bicarbonate of soda

250g milk

340g cake flour

2g salt

30g vinegar

Sauce

250g butter or margarine

330g white sugar

125g water

400g cream

10g vanilla extract

Method:

Pudding

Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for convection oven).

Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar together, beat in the egg until light and fluffy.

Beat in the apricot jam.

Dissolve the bicarb in the milk.

Sift the flour and salt together and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.

Lastly stir in the vinegar.

Pour the batter into 12 large dariole moulds. Place the dariole moulds on a baking sheet and cover the moulds with a sheet pan or foil and then bake for 20 minutes at 180°C (160°C for convection oven).

Sauce

Bring the butter (or margarine), sugar and water to the boil and simmer, stirring all the time for 2 minutes.

Remove from the stove and then add the cream and the vanilla, incorporating fully.

Pour over the hot baked pudding.

• Like 7

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Today I made some dry amaretti. The taste is good.  They should come hollow in the center. These had a thicker base and were hollow just under the top. I have a very strong feeling that if I use a pinch of bakers' ammonia the "problem" will be solved. Usually, it is also suggested, once the cookies are formed, to let them rest for many hours to dry out before baking. I did only briefly, I'll play with that as well. As first time, I'm satisfied

amaretti secchi.JPG

• Like 9

I made these,   the home smelled like heaven, the cake  was just divine, according to those who ate the  "scraps" because the rest is going into a dessert for tomorrow. I didnt  peel the hazelnut, since they were tiny and I have other things to do with my life then spend a  whole day doing that.  It is a fiddly recipe but it well worth it and it is really yummy according to the testers.

http://www.divinechocolate.com/uk/recipes/afternoon-tea/divine-white-chocolate-brownies

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image1_zpsnqbufjsq.jpg

Divine lemon dessert.  Divine white chocolate brownies, white chocolate ganache, lemon curd mousse, lime/lemon glaze ( which started oozing in room temp, which the guests said made everything better),  whipped cream and kumquat  and yes the guest has nibbled on it.

photo_1426957511016_zpsjf6ebamo.jpg

• Like 11

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I didnt taste it either rotuts, but people seamed to love it.  My daughter didnt like it that much and  my husband helped one of the guest to finish her piece and people wish I had made more. 

• Like 1

That chocolate tart looks really nice. I just wish I had the ability to taste that nice smoky flavor in Islay scotch that people speak of so fondly. I've spent more money than I'm happy about chasing it and always end up just tasting hospital emergency room bandages. I've come to the conclusion that it's just me and I'll have to live without it.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook, did you add a splash of water to the whisky?  It is important to do so to release the flavour .

When to  come to  the cake, as I said I didnt eat it, I dont have time for another ambulance ride this month.  But now I know the mousse work and we might use it for a friends´s birthday cake.,

• Like 2

Tri2Cook,  there's an untold story in your post.  Do tell.

I wish there was but sadly, it's just as I said. Every Islay scotch I've tried has reminded me of drinking iodine and band-aids. Some more so than others but I have yet to taste anything that brought the word "smoke" to my mind. There is no way everybody who drinks it tastes what I taste or I can't imagine why they'd continue to drink it... so I've made the assumption it's me and stopped worrying about it.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

CatPoet – I never bother peeling nuts.  I even like the papery skins of peanuts in my hot fudge sundaes!

I tried out a new recipe for dessert last night.  It was a glazed lemonade cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_95491.jpg

Very good, with a nice texture and crumb:

med_gallery_3331_119_73426.jpg

Growing up, my grandmother used to make a lemon cake like this. She used a lemon cake mix, added lemon pudding mix to that, then when it came out of the oven, she mixed powdered sugar and frozen lemonade concentrate together. Poured it over the cake and let it soak in. Everyone loved it. Haven't had it in years, I should try it with a scratch cake, but keep the lemonade.

• Like 3

RWood

do you remember what that lemon cake was like ?

things like this interest me.  do  you think it could be reproduced w cake mixes now available ?

im sure they have changed a lot.  also the pudding mixes.  and the proportions for the lemonade and powdered sugar ?