• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015)

Anna N

image.jpg

Alice Medrich's chocolate brownies. I used the ice bath method of cooling them and it certainly made it easier to cut neatly.

image.jpg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Those look like wonderfully dense brownies.  I favor brownies that run more toward the dense, fudgy end of the texture spectrum, rather than the airy, cakish end where the line between 'brownie' and 'cake' is nearly indistinguishable to me. It looks as though you're far, far from that line.

Lovely photos, Anna.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks, Smithy.

Some very ripe bananas showed up at my house yesterday. I hardly needed any other encouragement to make some banana bread. This one also has some chocolate chips in it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure of the reason for the "lip".

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20150129_150626_zpsb8124c4f.jpg

Baked rings.  They are not that sweet  but I like them and they look better if I had done them correctly, which is hard when my 2 ½ year old turns into a siren every time I go into the kitchen. Oh well maybe next time.

• Like 7

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I realised my baked rings are like fronuts... if I  added  a sweet glaze.  My Got in Himmel, I am being trendy!

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Minneola tangelo (Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page.)

Jim, that looks and sounds wonderful! You should post more information on the Citrus cook-off topic. :-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

jmac: You just spelled it the Swedish way, according to the store flyer  I got.  

So now you can one word Swedish. *smile*

I made crumpets and they were good, but not great and we ate them all before  we realised we needed a picture of it..

image.jpg

My freezer is getting rather full of overripe bananas so it seemed wise to use some of them. This is Hawaiian Banana Bread from a recipe member carold was kind enough to share some time back. It is chock-full of bananas, pineapple and pecans (a gift from yet another eG member).

image.jpg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to everyone for the Rice Krispie Treats compliments.  For some family event awhile back, I made a few different cereal treats (Cocoa Krispies, Cap’n Krunch PB and Lucky Charms) for the kids and another, most ‘sophisticated’ dessert for the adults.  The grownups swarmed the ‘Treats’ and ignored the other one!  One of my favorite ‘Treats’ versions is the Momofuku Sesame-Ginger ones recommended to me by deensiebat.  Very ‘grownup’ and still fun. 

Chocomom – I’m doing your version next time with the Cocoa Krispies and PB morsels.  My belief is that if God made any better combination than chocolate and PB, He kept it to Himself!

I made a lemon icebox pie for Super Bowl dessert:

med_gallery_3331_172_92777.jpg

Pretty much ersatz – lemonade concentrate, cream cheese, Cool Whip and sweetened condensed milk in a ready-made Graham cracker crust – but awfully good!  Slice:

med_gallery_3331_172_32803.jpg

• Like 10

Not Mardi Gras yet but I've done my frying for Carnival today. Once a year.

Chiacchiere

IMG_1866.JPG

Cenci toscani, very similar to the ganses (on the French Riviera) or bugnes in other part of France

IMG_1873.JPG

and Milanese tortelli, basically a fried pate a choux, simple or stuffed with pastry cream.

IMG_1870.JPG

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 10

Beautiful, Franci. Now I have a major craving for madeleines. :-)

Do you have a favorite recipe? I've had the best luck with the ones that use honey.

This  recipe is without honey and the madeleines were so easy to make, just a whisk and 5 minutes. They are very good. 

But I have one batter in the fridge resting for tomorrow which has honey in it, it's a recipe from Claire Heitzler. I will report back. Do you have a link for me with your recipe. I'll gladly try it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Apple and black berry crumble. Yeah I know it's not summer and that's the very reason that I needed this!

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Here you go, Franci. It's the recipe from Anne Willan Country Cooking of France. It's a little fussy; I also use another recipe with honey that is quicker and that I can post later.

Thanks!

Thanks FrogPrincesse, I should get Anne Willan's books as well. Because you linked in the past, I started making her crepes and her galette des rois.

Anna, I would happily eat a bit of your crumble as well. NY is very cold today.

Franci - it's a very solid book, quite comprehensive in its coverage of the different regions of France. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Here is the easier madeleine recipe. I believe you read French...

I bake them at 180C/350F.

16459798692_4454317c47_z.jpg

• Like 2