• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to make shezwan sauce at home

bridgetsingh

What do you mean? Is there a specific dish that you are referring to?

The only generic Szechaun ingredient that I use in many dishes is oil flavoured with chillis and Szechuan peppercorn, but that hardly counts as a sauce.

I wonder if you are thinking of a sauce called by that name in Indian-Chinese cuisine.  Would that be so?

Indian-Chinese food, otherwise known as "Hakka food" in India, has little (if any) resemblance to true Hakka cuisine as known in China and SE Asia (and in the Chinese diaspora outside of India).  Are you thinking of a sauce commonly used in "Chinese" food as found in India?

The recipe for "Szechuan sauce" as linked to by sparrowgrass looks like a generic sauce that could be used in any number of dishes that are put together by Western or non-Chinese cooks in places outside of China or SE Asia.  I don't know why it would be called "shezwan sauce" (presumably "Szechuan sauce") unless it was in the context of Indian-Chinese food --- just like "Manchurian Chicken" is a typical Indian-Chinese dish not found in Manchuria or China or SE Asia or anywhere else except in Indian-Chinese cuisine including localities outside of India where the Indian diaspora is concentrated, such as in Toronto, Canada or London, UK.  (In Toronto "Hakka Food" tends to mean Indian-Chinese food, for example, NOT true Hakka food)

What is "shezwan rice"?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Which is clearly Indian-Chinese, not actually Szechuanese, or Chinese (or true Hakka).

And the OP identified as Indian with a love of Chinese food. I don't think the OP said it was Szechuan. I think we all jumped to conclusions and and the bar was a little high.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That's a nice find, Anna. Thanks for the link.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

And the OP identified as Indian with a love of Chinese food. I don't think the OP said it was Szechuan. I think we all jumped to conclusions and and the bar was a little high.

Which was why I asked if the OP was thinking of an Indian-Chinese sauce.  Perhaps you might take a look at my post again.

As for the OP saying it was "Szechuan" - ah, but he/she did (exact spelling aside).  Which was *also* why I made the comment that it would make sense "in the context of Indian-Chinese food" (see my post again), rather than in the context of food from the province of Szechuan/Sichuan in China.  See here also, where the "features" of Indian-Chinese cuisine are briefly described.

So the "original recipe" which he/she asks for ... would probably originate from India itself.  Perhaps someone here on eG very knowledgeable about Indian-Chinese cuisine could step forwards with the "original" recipe for this sauce - and perhaps for the "original" recipe for "shezwan rice" also.

Edited by huiray (log)