• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"BBQing/Barbecueing" vs "Grilling"

Norm Matthews

As this post generated a valuable discussion of its own, separate from that in which it began, it has been split from Worst cooking show ever, where it first appeared.

when bobby flay actually 'cooks' BBQ on one of his many BBQ actually cooking shows, I watch and I learn.

he is an expert on all those interesting "sides"

so he's from NYC, you have to be a little push-ey in NYC or you will always be at the end of the line.

I admire Bobby Flay and have also learned a lot from him but (this may be the Kansas City in me) and I may be a little nit picky here, but Bobby Flay doesn't BBQ.  He grills.

• Like 2

I admire Bobby Flay and have also learned a lot from him but (this may be the Kansas City in me) and I may be a little nit picky here, but Bobby Flay doesn't BBQ.  He grills. 

Indeed!  While it's not a big deal to many, it frosts my pumpkin when I hear someone describe grilling as BBQ.

... Shel

with 'respect' to those who have Extra Time, not near there own true BBQ Pits  ....

we write and speak to tell are friends what we have on our minds ..............

those of us who might not have ever made true BBQ

from there own hand

well  ................

get to work. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

true BBQ can be made where ever your are ..

it your live in an Apt.

get out and Make It Your Self

Grilling is done directly over high heat to cook food like steak, hamburgers, hot dogs.  California's Santa Maria tri-tip is sometimes called BBQ but is actually grilling. One BBQ rib recipe from Bobby Flay involved steaming the ribs then grilling them with BBQ sauce. That is hardly BBQ... restaurant BBQ maybe..  Too often that is what you get at restaurants...    Southern style BBQ is done for meats that need long slow cooking to break down the collagen.  It is usually done over indirect heat at around 220º give or take a few degrees.  Smoke is quite often involved.  Sauce quite often isn't but may be used but usually at the end as a finishing sauce or table sauce.  Traditionally it uses fruit wood but charcoal by itself or in combination with wood and newer innovations use pellets and even propane. 

• Like 1

What ever you have

Weber or not

it can make what ever you want it to make

after a bit of study

Those of Us than cannot study this

need to Move On to 

A Local " BBQ Joint "

nothing wrong with that

Study the LocaL 

Grilling is done directly over high heat to cook food like steak, hamburgers, hot dogs.  California's Santa Maria tri-tip is sometimes called BBQ but is actually grilling. One BBQ rib recipe from Bobby Flay involved steaming the ribs then grilling them with BBQ sauce. That is hardly BBQ... restaurant BBQ maybe..  Too often that is what you get at restaurants...    Southern style BBQ is done for meats that need long slow cooking to break down the collagen.  It is usually done over indirect heat at around 220º give or take a few degrees.  Smoke is quite often involved.  Sauce quite often isn't but may be used but usually at the end as a finishing sauce or table sauce.  Traditionally it uses fruit wood but charcoal by itself or in combination with wood and newer innovations use pellets and even propane. 

I often make pulled pork by cold smoking a shoulder or Boston butt and then cooking sous vide x 2 days.

BBQ or not?

If its the product that matters...I make BBQ pork.

If its the process that matters, I don't.

• 1 month later...

rats.  Its sunday, and I Missed it.

I think you posted on Sunday, so its Next Saturday ?

You'll be picking up and deliviering back ? right ?

I had some items in mind I like to might bring back,  .............

( Not Those Items .................   :huh: )

but maybe some Elk ?

Ive had some Elk in CO and Id like to get some more

do you "" Elk "" ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

It could be any Saturday rotuts. I do enjoy elk for sure it has a gamy pungency that begs to be paired with bold assertive umami heavy flavors. Plus it is an excuse to push my steaks to beef-unfriendly levels of rareness.

I have some hunter friends and so am lucky to receive elk meat in barter for sausage making and drying services (although the one whose salami failed has never returned any meat to me; I hope he enjoyed the bratwursts).

There is also a local butcher that sells elk meat but the prices are quite deer.

One time he sold me some elk ribs which I rubbed and smoked over charcoal and then finished on a hot GAS grill with a sauce glaze. I hope that doesn't disqualify it from being BBQ.

If colorado did .25 billion in pot sales in 2014 I'd estimate you wouldn't have been the only person bringing "that" back to your home state.

My how times change.......

0vbkDC0.png

Source: Notes and Queries, a medium of Intercommunication for literary men, general readers, etc, 1884

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The OED is, as always interesting on the history of the word.

They trace its origin to the Spanish Sp. barbacoa, or Haitian barbacòa meaning 'a framework of sticks set upon posts'.

They ridicule the French suggestion 

The alleged Fr. barbe à queue ‘beard to tail,’ is an absurd conjecture suggested merely by the sound of the word.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto