• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day "Just Desserts" Party....What time??

gulfporter

I moved earlier this year.  Our new neighborhood is a mixed-bag of singles, young families, retirees.  We have been invited to 3 parties since our arrival.  Two were mid-afternoon weekend BBQ's, one was a 7PM wiener roast.  All invitations were done via notes left on car and doorstep; this seems to be the MO here.  We don't even know people's last names or phone numbers.  

This Valentine's Day is a Saturday and we'd like to host a Just Desserts Party.  We've hosted these before in our old home and started at 7PM; there were no kiddies, all neighbors were retired or semi-retired and we knew most of them ate dinner around 6PM.  

But with kids in our new neighborhood, aged 5 to 14, plus mostly younger singles and couples, I'm not sure of the best start time.  We never had kids, so we aren't sure of their eating times, bedtimes, etc.  We don't want to exclude the kids.

Opinions welcome re: would it be better to have a mid-afternoon dessert party or best to keep it an after dinner party?  We like the after dinner party, personally, but Is it better to have kids all sugared-up earlier in the day vs. close to bedtime?  When we've hosted after-dinner Valentine's dessert parties before, we always had a case of champagne and not certain that would be an appropriate mid-afternoon offering, though it is a holiday and people are welcome to BYOB (other parties in the neighborhood were BYOB).  

Don't want to walk around and 'poll' neighbors on what would work for them ... fearing a different answer from each home, plus many have odd work schedules and we rarely even see them.  

For a dessert party, I think that an evening party works best.  I'd do it around 7 p.m.   I'm not a parent, but I would think kids could come and still be in bed at a reasonable time.  Plus, it's a Saturday night, so they could stay up a bit later. And, definitely include the champagne :)

• Like 1

A "Just Desserts Party" sounds good for a Valentine neighbours get together.

Do not worry about the kids - they will look after themselves. We (South Africa) have two products that are made out of the abundant left-over apples and grapes at harvest, called Grapetizer or Appletizer. They are sparkling unsweetened juice from grapes or apples that are ideal for adults or kids not wanting alcoholic drinks. I am sure you would have similar products available locally. My wife and I never have had kids either, but have many friends who's kids we have watched grow up over the years and who have been a delight to have around with their parents for the occasional get together. Keep the champagne and keep to a 6:30 for 7 time slot.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I did a Valentine multi-course plated desserts thing a few years ago. 7 pm seemed like a good start time to me because it allowed people to have/go out for dinner if they wanted before setting down to a whole lot of dessert but was early enough for them to still make other plans for the evening if they wanted to. But kids weren't part of the equation and it was a for-profit event. If it's a more casual "help yourself to the desserts table" thing, with kids being welcome, I'd consider starting maybe 6:30-ish with a mention that those who want to come later can. You might see a progression through the evening where people with kids arrive earlier and leave earlier and those without kids arrive later and leave later but there should still be some overlap where pretty much everybody is there together. I think afternoon doesn't really suit what you described wanting to do. A desserts only, bring-the-kids thing in the daytime is going to sound like a kid's party to a lot of people even if that's not the intent.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

They have proven that sugar have nothing to do with if kids get  hyper in groups or not, it actually a natural behaviour that kids  get wined up because their brains has to processes so much,

I find that 7 pm would be great, most people since it  is a Saturday would most likely let the kids stay up and   it is up to the parents to parent their children. Keep the champagne, find a alcohol free option and have a fun time.

I have 3 kids ,  one age 2 and 2 in their twenties. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Thx for the advice; we will have it at 7PM as the more we thought about having it in the afternoon, the more we feared it would be viewed as a kiddie party.  And, as a non-parent but an aunt who entertained umpteen nieces and nephews, including them in 'adult' party situations is a good way for them to enhance their social skills and good manners.  Of course this is assuming the adults are setting a good example  :raz:

• Like 1