• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best? Who knows? Who cares?

Craig Camp

O.K. I know you can’t make the claim that one restaurant is the best. But I don’t care I love La Peca located just 30 minutes from Verona. When I eat here I don't care about the others.

Here is the combination of food, service, wine and ambiance we love the most—and it is a bargain besides.

The only way to eat here is to take the degustazione—it is impossible to choose anyway— and taste as many dishes as possible.

The seven or eight course dinner costs only €66.oo and we cannot imagine a better value in a dining experience.

This is the kind of food that ruins dinner conversation as you are just too busy concentrating on the flavors. The presentations are artistic but simple and elegant — never taking away from the ingredients on the plate.

The kitchen is the perfect combination of innovation and tradition as the food is decidedly Italian but with a deft touch of internationally inspired creativity.

The huge wine list is loaded with values from throughout Italy and as you would hope has great depth in the best wines of their own Veneto region.

La Peca

Via A Giovanelli, 2

36045 Lonigo (VI)

(011 39) 0444-830214

Craig,

It is nice to have somebody post strong opinions on a very important topic! As we are planning a trip to Northern Italy in early March your recommendation is very timely. I would appreciate it if you provide some details about the cuisine at La Peca. Also, we are planning to stay in the adopted city of my favorite contemporary writer, Tim Parks, i.e. Verona. Have you been there and do you recommend it? Apparently, there are some good eateries in and around Verona, i.e. Perbellini, Il Desco, and the new *** in Rubano, called Calendre. Have you tried any of these? I would appreciate your or anybody else's opinion regarding eating in or around Verona.

Thanks,

Vedat

I have a message out to my good friend Stefano Inama one of the top winemakers in Soave for a list of his favorite restaurants and will pass them along to you. It seems when I am Verona I it is always for work at there is a big trade show in town and the restaurants are all packed - not a good time to judge them.

In additon to La Peca you really should try:

Pila Vecchia

I'll fill you in when I get his list.

Stefano's recommendations: "Il Desco", "Il Calmiere", "La Fontanina", "Bottega dei Vini", "Alla Fiera-da Ruggero". "Al Carro Armato"

A few comments of my own:

Al Carro Armato - is super casual (for Italy) and the food is delicious. This is one of the oldest restaurants in Italy. You often sit at a communal style table. It is always packed with Veronese having a great time. Great ambiance and food.

Bottega del Vino – you go here for the wines. Basically a tavern serving good simple food – with a spectacular selections of wines by the glass and bottle. A strange place because it is rough looking inside but everyone is carrying around oversize Reidel glasses. When there is a wait you see crowds of people outside with giant Reidels in thier hands. The wine trade hang out.

Also one of my own just off the shopping area in the center of Verona

Ristorante Greppia –Go here for a very casual local meal. Simple food well done, lots of local families in for dinner. I go here for the Bollito Misto a favorite in Verona.

The restaurants listed here are all very 'Italian' no French style kitchen here.

Thanks Craig, this is the type of info. I was looking for.

The all risotto dinner at Pila....sounds interesting. But I clicked on the site and still could not understand where it is located. Its own website did not work. Maybe there is a bug in the program...How far is this place from Verona? I am lousy in finding places but my wife so far never erred in driving to the most oddly situated places in bizarre locations so we are ready for the challenge!

Pila as well as La Peca are about 40 minutes from Verona. Pila is not an all risotto dinner but you can count on many risotti. The bread is made from rice flour as is the pasta which is delicious. The point is each dish is based on rice in some way.

Do you know the hotel you are staying at? If I have the address I can get you turn by turn directions.