• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions Wanted for Cheap Plastic Storage Containers

Shel_B

I need some cheap plastic containers to organize my bagged spices and herbs. Once organized and inventoried, the bagged spices and herbs will be stored in jars, however, I'd like to keep the jars in the cheap plastic containers as well.  I don't buy large quantities, usually no more than 4oz of any herb or spice, so their bags will not be large at all.  That may help with the idea of size.  Any suggestions?

... Shel

I have big ones and little ones. Stores everything. Freezes well. So cheap you can give them away...

http://www.amazon.com/Delitainer-Deli-Food-Containers-Lids/dp/B006KG80Y6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419962186&sr=8-2&keywords=delitainer

Non-argumentive question: What makes these superior to Ziploc plastic storage containers? Here in So Cal I can buy Ziploc virtually anywhere. If someone has serious space issues buying 40 containers and lids at a crack may be a bit problematic.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have big ones and little ones. Stores everything. Freezes well. So cheap you can give them away...

http://www.amazon.com/Delitainer-Deli-Food-Containers-Lids/dp/B006KG80Y6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419962186&sr=8-2&keywords=delitainer

Those are nice (I have a few), but I should have mentioned that I'm looking for square or rectangular containers.

... Shel

Non-argumentive question: What makes these superior to Ziploc plastic storage containers? Here in So Cal I can buy Ziploc virtually anywhere. If someone has serious space issues buying 40 containers and lids at a crack may be a bit problematic.

Ahh ... Ziplocs in the supermarket!  Worth a look.  The web page has definitely got me interested.  Thanks!

... Shel

Freezer containers may be another option...they're readily available from Amazon.

http://www.arrowplastic.com/store/catalog.asp?item=189

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Shel_B, some advice born of experience: if you find the right size and shape of container in a grocery store, get more than you think you'll ever need ALL IN THE SAME PURCHASE. Glad™, Ziploc ™ and Rubbermaid ™ have all fooled us into thinking we'd found the perfect size and shape of container for a particular purpose, only to change their molds shortly thereafter. So, for instance, we have 4-cup containers, roughly cubical, all with blue lids, all from the same manufacturer, purchased in 2 batches... and the lids are not interchangeable. >:-(

Now that I've given you the benefit of my sage advice ;-), pardon me for asking this, but I'm curious: why do you want to store jars within plastic containers? I take it you're storing each jar in its own plastic box? Won't that take up a lot of precious storage space?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I store many small packages of spices, herbs and other items that are supplied in small containers - -

in  "ziplock" FREEZER bags.

And I do it in such a way that it is easy to find the items I want quickly.

I punch a hole ABOVE the seal and group the items together  on a SHOWER CURTAIN rings  as shown in the photos.

I can always find a place to hang several of the loaded rings.

This happens to be a "miscellaneous" group.

It's easy to flip the bags around the ring until you reach the one you want, unsnap it and take it off or just unseal and pull out what you need if it is something like the bag in which I have ALL the little bottles of flavorings which tend to get lost in drawers...

HPIM7238.JPG

HPIM7237.JPG

I buy the big boxes of non-name freezer bags at Smart & Final but they also have them at Costco, Sam's and etc.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like the shower curtain ring idea, andisenji

Another approach I learned here some years ago is to buy the smallest (1/2 pt.?) canning jars. Four ounces of many herbs and spices will fill several jars. Keep one jar of an herb out for use and put the rest in the freezer in a crate to organize them. It will extend the life of the herbs unless you would be using the 4  ounces within 6 - 12 months. 

• Like 2

Shel_B, some advice born of experience: if you find the right size and shape of container in a grocery store, get more than you think you'll ever need ALL IN THE SAME PURCHASE. Glad, Ziploc and Rubbermaid have all fooled us into thinking we'd found the perfect size and shape of container for a particular purpose, only to change their molds shortly thereafter. So, for instance, we have 4-cup containers, roughly cubical, all with blue lids, all from the same manufacturer, purchased in 2 batches... and the lids are not interchangeable. >:-(

Now that I've given you the benefit of my sage advice ;-), pardon me for asking this, but I'm curious: why do you want to store jars within plastic containers? I take it you're storing each jar in its own plastic box? Won't that take up a lot of precious storage space?

Thanks for your sage advice (I love that phrase, BTW).  I'm not planning to store each jar in a separate box.  I should be able to get six or more jars in each box.  The boxes are just to help keep me organized.  I need all the help I can get.

• Like 1

... Shel

I like the shower curtain ring idea, andisenji

Another approach I learned here some years ago is to buy the smallest (1/2 pt.?) canning jars. Four ounces of many herbs and spices will fill several jars. Keep one jar of an herb out for use and put the rest in the freezer in a crate to organize them. It will extend the life of the herbs unless you would be using the 4  ounces within 6 - 12 months. 

I do have a lot of herbs and spices in jars but after a while one runs out of shelf room or drawer room - I have an entire cabinet dedicated to spices and herbs with salts and peppers too.  It is totally full of stacked jars so for the "extras" and I have a bunch, the only way to keep them findable, is to do it the way I showed. 

However, even though it looks crammed, I know where everything is and can usually reach in and grab what I want without even looking.  I have maintained the same "order" in this cabinet for many years.

HPIM7240.JPG

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I store many small packages of spices, herbs and other items that are supplied in small containers - -

in  "ziplock" FREEZER bags.

And I do it in such a way that it is easy to find the items I want quickly.

I punch a hole ABOVE the seal and group the items together  on a SHOWER CURTAIN rings  as shown in the photos.

I can always find a place to hang several of the loaded rings.

This happens to be a "miscellaneous" group.

It's easy to flip the bags around the ring until you reach the one you want, unsnap it and take it off or just unseal and pull out what you need if it is something like the bag in which I have ALL the little bottles of flavorings which tend to get lost in drawers...

attachicon.gifHPIM7238.JPG

attachicon.gifHPIM7237.JPG

I buy the big boxes of non-name freezer bags at Smart & Final but they also have them at Costco, Sam's and etc.

While I like your idea quite a bit, it's not right for me and the layout and work space in my kitchen.

• Like 1

... Shel

Ahh ... Ziplocs in the supermarket!  Worth a look.  The web page has definitely got me interested.  Thanks!

While running some errands earlier, I ducked into a supermarket and saw the Glad™ containers, and some look like they'd work.  I'll take a look at the Ziploc™ after Jan 1, and make a decision.  In concept, both seem to be perfect for my needs, so the decision will come down to which brand will best do the job.  Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on this.  Last week I stopped into a supermarket that had the Ziploc containers, and right next to them on the shelf were some similar store brand units.  The store brand had a size closer to what I was looking for, and I bought a package of three.

On the way to the register I saw some really inexpensive aluminum loaf pans (like these: http://www.apartysource.com/al-16.html), and they were even closer to the size I wanted, so I bought three.  Both are installed in the cupboard, and the aluminum loaf pans have turned out to be the best option.

So, I'm all set.  Thanks to all who jumped in with ideas and suggestions.

• Like 1

... Shel