• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello to all fellow experimenters and tinkerers!

palsdorf

Hi everyone!  I'm a passionate home cook (and eater) who's lurked on and benefited from the sous vide thread for years.  I am just completing a dream kitchen remodel, complete with a combi steam oven (miele), convection oven, and induction cooktop.  Hoping to find a group of like-minded enthusiasts who are committed to delicious experimentation and deepening our understanding of these new technologies.

• Like 1

We hope you'll post pictures of your new kitchen: lots and lots of pictures, complete with discussion of your design choices, followed by exploration of just what you can do with your new setup. :-) Welcome!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do you have a countertop height that is friendly towards kneading dough?  We have three countertop levels in our kitchen.  Regular height (37 inches) in the mis en place area and near the stove; at the washing up sink the height is a little higher so one doesn't have to reach down too far to the bottom of the sink (39.5 inches) and the kneading countertop which is 34.5 inches.  It makes a hugh difference to me when kneading something like pasta for 15 minutes.  Your appliances sound amazing. 

Thanks for the welcome!

The countertops are still in progress (I would have thought that "measure twice, cut once" would be a marble fabricator's motto, but who knew), but here are a few pics of the new toys pending finalization.  Counters are all standard height.

Oven installation day:

BF2643C6-E657-43E8-AB66-C20EA8C78F4B.jpg

Steam oven in action (can do temps from 85-435, humidity from 0-100%, and it has a convection function). Cooked a chicken from frozen in 1:30 (100% humidity, 145 degrees), perfectly juicy.

17576D5C-FED0-40BD-ABCE-31A9BDDC0D17.jpg

Skin needed crisping with the searzall:

8C2E9A97-6796-4D82-BCC8-2F467A31105E.jpg

A few things on the cooktop (zoneless Gaggenau, which I completely love):

1735F73F-C5E9-4295-9CE5-FE86534214D3.jpg

Will try a prime rib on NYE - sous vide style in the steam oven.  Can't wait!

Beautiful kitchen!!  Love the back splash.  I have a mere mortal Mieli regular oven and I find it amazing.  The temperature is spot on and it cooks so evenly.  My only complaint would be the cost of the little tiny oven bulbs......$50 Cdn a pop.  Two have been replaced in ten years.  The other thing that happened was the door hinges gave out and had to be replaced...$300 Cdn.  Too much peeking at the food inside I guess.   :raz: But I would probably be buying a new oven by now if it weren't a Mieli.  

Looking forward to seeing more from the steam oven.

cheers