• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideal internal temp for Boston butt? at 200F, came out dry!

torolover

Combi just doen't just save moisture.  as the density of the heat carrier ( steam ) is higher than dry air, it cooks the item quicker.

way back in the Combi Thread some one early on did two high end steaks, maybe rib eye, ive forgotten, as i don't move in that 

direction much, and said they were the tastiest ever made by that Index.

• Like 1

One thing to note is I don't like to finely shred the meat or add any sauce.  Shredding the meat finely and adding lots of sauce will make the meat more "juicy", but I'm trying to figure out how to make it soft and juicy by simply cooking it properly...

Have you ever looked at the CI recipe for pulled pork? It parallels the Momofuko recipe, e.g., brining the meat (they use a wet brine), and moderate oven temp of 325F. But CI parcooks the meat wrapped in parchment and foil for about half the cooking time, then cooks it unwrapped until done. The wrapping preserves moisture in the meat. CI claims it mimics the moist heat of a covered grill. Here:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/5024-indoor-pulled-pork-with-sweet-and-tangy-barbecue-sauce#.

I often wonder:

Same cut of meat, one  oven cooked to 212F IT, the other boiled in water to 212F.

Which one will be more "juicy", "moist" and "tender" inside (not considering the "bark")

Or will they be the same?

dcarch

fantastic " pulled pork " has been made for eons.

what SV brings to the Pig is consistency and fool-proof-ery, assuming you get 'good' pork.

you SV to your liking, then smoke the resulted cooked pork at about the same temp in your smoker/weber-smoker

and that way you take a great deal of the variability of results off the table.

Unfortunately , it takes the best part of bbq'd  pulled pork off the table  as well.. The bark.  Admittedly that is my personal taste.    Without decent bark , it is  easier to braise a butt  for  few hours in flavoursome liquid  and chuck some good natural liquid smoke in with it, than to slow poach it in a bag for as long as it would take on a smoker .   Don't get me wrong , pig is one of the places I think SV really shines but like the old saying about someone with a hammer goes, not every cut  of meat or end result is a nail imo. 

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

no bark to be sure

but SV makes BBQ pork pretty fool-proof

i suppose that if you are tuned-up on BBQ/smoking then SV  is no improvement

But if BBQ is foreign ground, then SV  makes it do-able

Edited by gfweb (log)

Foiling is the answer, as mentioned in an early post many bbq smokers are using foil and higher temps to cut times and moisture loss.

I believe you are mistaken.  At least in my case I foil meat when it has enough smoke but not enough time in the smoker.  I don't raise the temperature. 

Sure, there are different ways to skin a cat.

Ive recently started smoking whole clods (18lbs) and foiling at higher temps is the safest way to avoid drying them out sue to the long temp stall.

I used to be a traditional low slow 230f type smoker until i wasted a whole clod doing that.

Foiling does the following, I believe:

1. Allows steaming of the meat.

2. Aluminum is a very effective reflector of infrared radiation. Depending on you heat source/cooker, it changes the thermal dynamics on how the meat is cooked. Your end result may not be the same as someone else who has a different cooker/heat source.

dcarch