• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning - but not for gold!

Kerry Beal

A few of us were in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago doing a panning course.  I've done one before and wanted to up my game in finishing products as I didn't find I had picked that up before.  

So of course now that we are home we need to play a bit and see what we can produce.

I took some Corn Pops cereal and gave it a whirl today.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008_2.jpg

So - not quite as round as I would have liked them - but I ran out of time and chocolate!

I'll get them polished tomorrow morning I hope before I head out for the day and my dry ice disappears in a puff of smoke!

Anyone else have some panning to show off?

• Like 6

Was that Jean-Marie Auboine's class?  I follow Paul Kennedy on Instagram, his pics from the class/shop were gorgeous!  My attempts at panning so far all belong in the 'chocolates with that backroom finish' thread :sad:

It was indeed!

He's a great teacher, thinks he's funnier than he is though :P I'm looking forward to seeing what he's learned about panning next year at one of his classes down here :)

Paul was a nice guy. Jean Marie is going down under to teach in the near future.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

He's a great teacher, thinks he's funnier than he is though :P I'm looking forward to seeing what he's learned about panning next year at one of his classes down here :)

I took a couple classes with him in 2009, had fun, learned a lot.  I was living in Asia at the time, so Australia wasn't quite as far away as it is now.  Wish I could go back!  Or maybe I should just check out classes in Vegas!

I, too, have been playing since the class.  The pink one is caramel corn. It was engrossed with dark chocolate then topped with white chocolate with pink. Caramel corn isn't very smooth and neither are these.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I also did raisins engrossed with milk chocolate. I still need to polish these. I don't understand the problem with doubles. It just means more to enjoy:)

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

• Like 4

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Well - I'm dead in the water this morning.  Was polishing and air drying - involved a bit of turning on and off of the pan - the attachment for the pan -  where it goes in to the kitchen aid - appears to have given up the ghost.  I'll have to take it out to my guys in the machine shop and see if they can rebuild it and make it more robust.  

IMG_0009_2.jpg

So one application of polish on the cereal - which is where it shall stay I guess.

• Like 1

I do about 10 kg of choc. covered hazelnuts per week. I don't bother with polish--nor do I know where to get a decent product from.  I just tumble them in cocoa powder.

What I've done is taken a portable air conditioner, attatched a "bonnet" to it, stuck a clothes dryer hose to the bonnet, and have the hose direct a jet of cool air into the bowl.  

I hear you on the bowl falling apart.  I had an older D+R model that I had to have welded twice, I gave up at the third time and bought a new one.

With all that being said, panning is a very time consuming process.  For me, it would make more sense to bite the bullet and get commercial unit with a much larger capacity.

I do about 10 kg of choc. covered hazelnuts per week. I don't bother with polish--nor do I know where to get a decent product from.  I just tumble them in cocoa powder.

What I've done is taken a portable air conditioner, attatched a "bonnet" to it, stuck a clothes dryer hose to the bonnet, and have the hose direct a jet of cool air into the bowl.  

I hear you on the bowl falling apart.  I had an older D+R model that I had to have welded twice, I gave up at the third time and bought a new one.

With all that being said, panning is a very time consuming process.  For me, it would make more sense to bite the bullet and get commercial unit with a much larger capacity.

Got one of those - large pilot size - stashed under the foyer.

Back in business - took the post off the back - discovered that the bolt that comes from the part that goes into the kitchen aid was fastened with a nut and that the nut had worked loose.  Tightened it up, put everything back on and Bob's your uncle!

So I still have a bit of unsublimated dry ice - but need to be at work in a short while so I suspect it's going to go to waste.  Can't imagine it will survive 2 more days.  

• Like 1

this is a very interesting thread for me.

I know nothing about any of it !

You Know What they say ............

is the idea that a smooth surface is an end point worth consideration ?

( aside from Flavor and Crunch etc )

do you get that with melt/cool etc ?

what does the dry ice do ?  is that the cooling part?

thanks for this thread.

Back In the Day, I got very nice Choc. Covered dark coffee beans.

kept them in my office for you know for a boost. sometimes one does not have the energy to 

grind / get the Pot Going / etc.

a younger friend , who moved from Trainee to Swell  came into my office.

he said  Well What are These ?  I told him.  I gobbled down a hand-full or two.

went back to Work.  

a bit later the Senior Secretary / Assistant  took be aside and said

" what did you do to [Him} ?  we've had to scrape him off the ceiling "

sometimes, Experiments just Have to be Done.

Edited by rotuts (log)

The dry ice cools the blowing air without adding any moisture to it.  

Coffee beans are kind of the holy grail - we will all be trying to work on them!

If you have room in the " Lower Chamber " where all that stuff is ....

( BTW a few or one of those Boxes might be repositioned  .... plenty of Room Then for One or Two CSB's 

:raz: Just saying )

if you really want to get into Coffee Beans   please consider Roasting your Own.

Sweet Maria might be your Green Bean Depot    no idea of Canada-eh?-shipping

but a roaster like the Behmor drum are not that expensive.

and you could trick it out for who knows what else.

just saying.