• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning - but not for gold!

Kerry Beal

Judging by the photos, it looks like the right-hand polish/shellac set came out prettier than the left-hand polish/shellac set. Is that the one you preferred?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Today I finished the milk chocolate engrossed caramelized almonds that I started yesterday. Was a little heavy on the gold luster dust, but they turned out pretty good. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 10

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

These are looking great!  So bumpy/pebbled = too cold?  How warm is your chocolate and how much cool air do they need?  Also, where did you find the coconut cubes?  I love coconut and wold love to cover something like that in chocolate.

nice  KB

about the shellac

I hope its not the same I use in woodworking .................

:blink:

Yeah it is - crushed up bug bodies in alcohol. 

• Like 2

These are looking great!  So bumpy/pebbled = too cold?  How warm is your chocolate and how much cool air do they need?  Also, where did you find the coconut cubes?  I love coconut and wold love to cover something like that in chocolate.

Too bumpy = too cold.  I don't always use the cool air - sometimes I throw in dry ice directly with the product.  Chocolate is something above 35 C - can be much warmer.  

Found the coconut at the local bulk shop - I know trader joes has some nice big pieces of coconut that could be cut into cubes if one had the patience.  

Reese's Peanut butter cereal covered in a PB gianduja with added salt.  

IMG_0163.jpg

A little sweet for my taste.  It's actually the cereal that is too sweet.

IMG_0163.jpg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

Those sound positively evil to me... I'd probably eat myself into a sugar coma. I've never had that cereal but I'm a bit of a peanut butter fiend and peanut butter gianduja is a thing of beauty.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

Today Alleguede and I worked on the some of the finer points of polishing.  Started with some almonds that I had engrossed with milk chocolate and toasted coconut.  

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Then we have the butt ugly strawberries in white chocolate - going to have to figure out some way to get a much thinner layer of chocolate on these.  

IMG_0178.jpg

Picked these little things up in the asian grocery store a couple of weeks back - was quite taken by how round there were - figured they might be useful for panning.  Of course it turned out they were a little flat on one side so wanted to stick together.

IMG_0179.jpg

Interesting that because of the flat side - almost every one had a little pit.

IMG_0180.jpg

We also polished a batch of sugar coated peanuts - I seem to have failed to take a picture.  

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Today's polishing - 

IMG_0198.jpg

Combination of Warhead sour candies and tropical sour candies.  

IMG_0202.jpg

Dark chocolate with Portuguese salt cream - the pockmarks are from the salt.  

IMG_0204.jpg

The little Hot Kid ball cakes - which had been engrossed in milk chocolate with freeze dried dulce de leche - finished with a combination of the freeze dried DDL and cocoa powder.  Didn't like them last week - now they are kind of tasty - the weird powdery centre goes with the powdery outside.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0225.jpg

Peanut butter Cap'n Crunch with PB gianduja.  Believe it or not there is colour in there - but clearly a bit wasted if not added to white chocolate. I was trying for something less sweet than the Reece Pieces cereal version.  

• Like 6

So Rodney (Alleguede) and I got the gig making some panned product for Cacao Barry for the Canadian Food and Restaurant Association Show (now known as The Restaurants Canada Show).  It runs from tomorrow to Tuesday in Toronto.  I plan to head down for Sunday.

We covered dried cherries with Zephyr white chocolate.  First batch we used as is - and coloured the surface with dark pink.  

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

While the first batch was running - I took all the cherries for the second batch and rounded them up so they would coat more easily.  

IMG_0209.jpg

We used a combination of freeze dried cherry powder and gum arabic to round them a bit more before engrossing in the chocolate - and when we went to get the extra chocolate off the sides of the bowl - the bits of powder from the pan showed up on the surface.  We decided we quite liked the effect so went with it instead of finishing with the dark pink we had prepared.  I present to you in honour of the 2015 measles outbreak - 'Cherry Measles'!

IMG_0218.jpg

Almonds engrossed in Alunga milk chocolate.

IMG_0220.jpg

Almonds engrossed in 74% Ocoa - the high percentage of cocoa butter and cocoa mass resulted in pits that occurred in the polishing phase of the process - so while these look shiny here - we went back and coated with cocoa powder and powdered sugar to make them look more acceptable.  

IMG_0223.jpg

• Like 11

• 5 months later...

Taught some panning on the weekend to a friend of Alleguede's.

IMG_0980.jpg

His GF turned out to be a natural - they had spent a bit of time with Rodney once before and she clearly picked up everything she saw.

IMG_0983.jpg

Freeze dried blueberries in white chocolate with vanilla. 

IMG_0988.jpg

Peanut butter cereal in milk chocolate.

IMG_0991 (1).jpg

Malt balls.

IMG_0993.jpg

Caramel coated almonds. 

IMG_0995.jpg

Malt balls after polishing.

• Like 8

Yeah - praline almonds - realized after it was too late to edit that I'd put caramelized almonds. These ones were purchased from the bargain bin at my local high end supermarket - guess they brought in too many for the easter season - price was too good to ignore. Sadly the almonds weren't as roasted under the sugar as I would have liked.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1044.jpg

These are coffee flavoured chip nuts (peanuts covered in potato crust) with milk chocolate and espresso powder - finished with dark chocolate and freeze dried coffee granules. I was actually aiming for the bumpy finish - so I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.

Tried out a new polish and shellac - really impressed with it.

• Like 4

These are coffee flavoured chip nuts (peanuts covered in potato crust) with milk chocolate and espresso powder - finished with dark chocolate and freeze dried coffee granules. I was actually aiming for the bumpy finish - so I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.

Tried out a new polish and shellac - really impressed with it.

These things are dangerously addictive. I am a sucker for anything coffee flavoured and these things have just the right amount of coffee flavour to lure me in to eating one after another after another..........

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog