• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning - but not for gold!

Kerry Beal

Oh we have  hazelnuts in similar to Gianduja  chocolate here but they are dusted with cinnamon  or  icing sugar or cocoa with cinnamon,  I used to love them.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I'll bet those cherries pop with intense cherry flavor! That's brilliant: coating them with cherry powder. Did you simply split a batch of freeze-dried cherries and powder some?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Actually the centre is a dried cherry and the powder is the freeze dried that I put with some sugar in the thermomix and powdered.  

• Like 1

The process of polishing and sealing requires blowing cold air for up to several minutes at a time - and standing holding the hose is a pain.  I was cleaning up some of the chocolate stuff I have taking up space in my living room this morning and ran across my little IV pole that I use to hold the Fuji airbrush, along with some old lab equipment.  This allowed me to jury rig a hose holder.  

IMG_0080.jpg

Last evening Alleguede came over and very patiently coated a pound of coffee beans.  Not something we'll be doing again soon!  Because they are flat on one side they fall victim to serious doubling - and half his evening was spent pulling apart doubles.  

IMG_0083.jpg

I got them polished up this afternoon. 

IMG_0084_2.jpg

He was kind enough to bring me some almonds (my hubby is feeling hard done by) which I roasted in the microwave last night - and coated this afternoon.  Not polished yet but hubby is already enjoying them.  They are a hell of a lot easier to coat than coffee beans!  Took less than an hour.

• Like 5

Ingenious use of an IV pole. If I ever do any panning, perhaps I will have to ask my doctor for a 'prescription' so I can buy one of those.

That aside, thank you Kerry for the journey through panning with you. I only knew how to pan for gold prior to this - and I never got rich at that. I think panning items enrobed in chocolate would have been more lucrative.

• Like 2

My relaxing word use to be bubbles. My previous assistant use to say that it was the only word no one could ever say upset/mad. Now I have changed my magical word to doubles...

Yes coffee beans need to be reviewed - hopefully they will be enjoyed.

Kerry I think the issue with the glandular ones where the fact that they are too soft.

On my way home I was thinking at candied cherries with pistachio white chocolate.

Last evening Alleguede came over and very patiently coated a pound of coffee beans.  Not something we'll be doing again soon!  Because they are flat on one side they fall victim to serious doubling - and half his evening was spent pulling apart doubles.  

I will no longer begrudge the relatively high price I pay for this treat. 

• Like 1

Took the opportunity to polish hubby's nuts before I leave the house this morning.

IMG_0090_2.jpg

IMG_0091_2.jpg

IMG_0092_2.jpg

Look at the shine on those babies.  I had a worried minute or two when the third polish got dull again - I think if I'd done it a bit differently they would be even shinier.

• Like 4

Those are gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!...and I would gorge myself on them if we were in the same county.  Thanks so much for showing us this equipment and technique, and what you can do with it!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Took the opportunity to polish hubby's nuts before I leave the house this morning.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  

I'm sure he appreciated that. It's just not the same when you have to polish them yourself.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Those are gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!...and I would gorge myself on them if we were in the same county.  Thanks so much for showing us this equipment and technique, and what you can do with it!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had colour left over from the raspberries - so decided to add a coat of colour to the hazelnuts because they were too soft and not able to be polished.  A little bumpy - I should have made more coloured chocolate and run them a little warmer - but I was a little worried about the gianduja softening.  

IMG_0110.jpg

This evening I finally got around to coating the really big fat raisins that Dandi-pak sells. Jumbo Thompsons - made even more jumbo by about 3 times as much chocolate.  They are going to look like fat potatoes after I polish them.  

IMG_0113.jpg

• Like 5

I was always a 'raisinette' fan at the movie theatre when I was a kid - and my mother always bought us a pack when we had had a particularly 'un-fun' doctor visit (i.e. for shots).

Yours however are 'gourmet' chocolate-covered raisins - and I am sure they are at least a 100 times more delicious than those commercial ones ever were! Yum!

• Like 1

Still had some dry ice around - so this afternoon I took a box of corn pops and coated them in white chocolate with freeze dried mango powder mixed in.  Of course a family sized box of corn pops is too much for my little panner so after the initial coating I removed a few of them before they all removed themselves.

Part I finished with some coloured white chocolate and the rest with some mango powder.  

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg 

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

• Like 7

Mmmmm. Corn pops with mango powder. I bet they are moreish.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm using some samples of professional products that I have had around for probably longer than they are supposed to last!  I'm currently looking into getting smaller quantities of similar products for when Alleguede and I teach a class - because the average artisan confectioner can only buy barrels full of the stuff.  We are hoping to talk someone into selling reasonable sized amounts - or selling us a larger but still reasonable sized amount that we can then pass on in smaller quantities to our students.  

• Like 1

I'm using some samples of professional products that I have had around for probably longer than they are supposed to last!  I'm currently looking into getting smaller quantities of similar products for when Alleguede and I teach a class - because the average artisan confectioner can only buy barrels full of the stuff.  We are hoping to talk someone into selling reasonable sized amounts - or selling us a larger but still reasonable sized amount that we can then pass on in smaller quantities to our students.  

I bet Art and Wilma could help us with this!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

IMG_0141.jpg

I'm getting better at this!  These are some cherry jelly bean like things that I purchased at the bulk store - white chocolate coating, red coloured white chocolate to finish.  Perhaps not the tastiest thing - but I'm happy with the look.

Now off to the chocolate room to coat some little square pieces of coconut.  I have a 13 quart bowl full of future panning products.  Need to start thinking about Easter bunnies.  

IMG_0141.jpg

• Like 5

Almonds with Callebaut 823 - added red and a tiny bit of blue colour to the last 500 grams.  Comparing two types of polish and shellac on half a batch each.  

IMG_0152.jpg

Almonds as above with yellow added to 500 grams.  Gold powder after last polish.  

IMG_0153.jpg

Coffee beans - really fat, crunchy, darkly roasted beans - much, much better than the last beans.  I gave up trying to stop the doubles and drew the line at threesomes - that being said - there were a few clumps got by me.  Ran a bit cold as you can tell by the pebbling of the surface.  

IMG_0154.jpg

• Like 5