• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panning - but not for gold!

Kerry Beal

Put the dry ice in the FD and set it to FREEZE ONLY (don't let it go to the dry cycle) to help preserve it a bit? I know it won't get as cold as the dry ice but maybe it is colder than any other place you could keep it right now. :)

Put the dry ice in the FD and set it to FREEZE ONLY (don't let it go to the dry cycle) to help preserve it a bit? I know it won't get as cold as the dry ice but maybe it is colder than any other place you could keep it right now. :)

Sadly it will still be a couple of days before I can get to it - so likely wouldn't help - but great idea.  

Second go at the cereal - putting together a batch for Alleguede and I to polish on Monday.  

I realize that I was using way too much cool air the first time - adding a bit of chocolate and waiting for it to start to dry on it's own is the way to go - only adding the cold air to firm things up on occasion - got much smoother results.  

Grabbed a couple of pictures as the coating built up.  

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

• Like 6

Before the nut slipped again and put him out of business - Alleguede coated a box of Cocoa Puffs and some caramelized peanuts.  Hubby says Locktite requires a couple of hours to cure.

IMG_0051.jpg

Alleguede blowing hot and cold.

IMG_0056.jpg

Look how smooth those are!

• Like 4

If I knew how to pan and had the equipment I would make chocolate covered espresso beans.

One of the things I want to perfect before I start to teach other people how to do this.  

If I knew how to pan and had the equipment I would make chocolate covered espresso beans.

I have no panning equipment, but do a low-tech manual panning-type thing for nuts and such. in a bowl, add a bit of tempered chocolate, stir vigorously till set, repeat, toss in cocoa. They have a "rustic" look

I'm sure there's a thread around on the manual process but I can't seem to find it

I have no panning equipment, but do a low-tech manual panning-type thing for nuts and such. in a bowl, add a bit of tempered chocolate, stir vigorously till set, repeat, toss in cocoa. They have a "rustic" look

I'm sure there's a thread around on the manual process but I can't seem to find it

I know I've put up pictures of this before.  Wondering if it might be on one of the Manitoulin threads - cause I remember doing it up there.  Shall look for it if I find time and link to it.

I know I've put up pictures of this before.  Wondering if it might be on one of the Manitoulin threads - cause I remember doing it up there.  Shall look for it if I find time and link to it.

This afternoon I polished the things that Alleguede and I worked on yesterday.  I finished the peanuts with more chocolate as they still had some bald spots when the machine when belly up yesterday.

IMG_0059.jpg

Corn pops polished

IMG_0061.jpg

Peanuts polished.

IMG_0064.jpg

Decided to try dextrose panning the cereal that Alleguede engrossed yesterday.  

IMG_0065.jpg

Ran in to some technical difficulties (i.e. need to get off the beginning of the learning curve)

IMG_0066.jpg

My attempts to add colour failed - possibly because there was some undeclared sucrose in the colourant I added to the syrup.  So like all good failures - a bit of lustre dust makes everything better!  They don't look as interesting in the picture as they do in real life - they look like little pearls.  I think a further run of polishing after they have completely crystallized may help as well.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

• Like 6

Do you find that more dense objects (peanuts, coffee beans) are easier to coat than the fluffier ones (cereal)?

Wouldn't say they are easier to coat - and they are noisier and harder on the kitchen aid motor.

Underway today - I have dried cherries in white chocolate, dried blueberries in white chocolate with freeze dried ground vanilla beans and roasted hazelnuts in gianduja.  I need to get around to making some plain old milk chocolate coated toasted almonds for my hubby.

I was given Power Flowers by Alleguede for Christmas.  A certain number of the little flowers (which are colour in cocoa butter) added to 400 grams of white chocolate gives the desired colour.  

• Like 1

IMG_0075.jpg

The blueberries with ground vanilla beans.  

IMG_0076_2.jpg

Gianduja coated hazelnuts - it was challenging to engross these - and I'm going to have to come up with another solution for finishing - because they didn't polish!

IMG_0077_2.jpg

Cherries - finished with powdered freeze dried cherries and sugar.  Need some work on getting them rounder without adding a ton of chocolate to them - not prepared to roll each one between my hands!  Not happy with the spots that don't take up chocolate.  

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076_2.jpg

IMG_0077_2.jpg

• Like 5

I was given Power Flowers by Alleguede for Christmas.  A certain number of the little flowers (which are colour in cocoa butter) added to 400 grams of white chocolate gives the desired colour.  

Those Power Flowers look very interesting! Does not look like they are available in the USA right now. Can you buy them in Canada?

Amazing, Kerry!

And I too love those Flower Power colours (and the whole concept makes really good sense)! Darn it. Just looked at the (Signature) website - may have to call them. Do they sell to individuals or only wholesale?

Edited by Deryn (log)