• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with an Italian mag, need some clarification

thecuriousone

Hello Everyone-

I'm cooking out of the November issue of Sale e Pepe.   can someone clarify "riso originale"?  I live near a large Italian neighborhood so I'm sure I can find it, I'm just a little confused about what to ask for.

Also,   I understand that there are US ounces and UK ounces.   what is the difference?  If anyone can suggest a reliable list of Italian cooking terms and where I can find such, I would appreciate it.

Thanks and have a wonderful holiday

According to the Metric Conversions web site, 1 U.S. fluid ounce is 0.96076 U.K. fluid ounces. (This web site has a converter: select your units to and from; plug in your numbers, and you'll get the converted measure.) I assume you're asking about fluid ounces instead instead of dry measurement.

Sorry, I can't help with your other questions.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think that "riso originale" is rice use for risotto - normally a short grain rice with high starch content.

ETA: see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risottounder Rice varieties - it names rice verities that are good and also not so good for risotto. What dish are you making?

Edited by JohnT (log)

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

From what I've seen, it's used interchangeably with 'riso originario', which is short grain and very starchy, holds together very well, and can get very porridge-y when cooked (i.e. not great in risotto, more information here, http://www.cucinaitaliana.info/riso/riso-qualit%C3%A0-tipi-chicchi-immagini/riso-qualit%C3%A0-cosa-%C3%A8-fotografie-descrizione.htm, which you can run through a translator; there's not much text for it to make a mess of)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hello everyone and thanks.  I am making the  torta di riso, a dessert on p. 95 of the november issue.    

I have aborio  and carnaroli in the house,   so if I'm  understanding you, originario  throws off more starch that these?  wow.

OK.   I guess I will go out in pursuit of.   If I cant find it, arborio is my stand in.

thanks for the input. and have a great holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a note my freind sent me-  his father is a rice grower in Casale, Monferato, Italy

This is where I get my rice:

"Hello, sorry for the delay .. happy new year you too! Originario It is a kind of round rice japonica: its small size. Correspond to the same features different rices common popular on the market, as the Balilla and Selenio. I hope I have answered your question. See you soon!  --Good in Soup

Paul

Its good to have Morels