• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas stoves

riboflavinjoe

Probably a seriously bad idea for a home kitchen... 

If it ever leads to a fire directly or indirectly your home insurance company will give you a VERY difficult time.....an alteration that leads to a fire would be almost certainly be considered negligence.

And after you deal with all that...good luck finding an insurer willing to do business with you at a reasonable cost.

A high BTU propane hot plate, used outside, would be a much wiser option.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Why do you need this...?

when what I really want is immediate access to massive, volcanic, huge, heat.

I think too often people equate this with better cooking. In my opinion, it's not. It's just trying to pretend you're cooking in a restaurant setting, when you're actually cooking at home.

Certainly, if you have an outdoor space, or a great kitchen/stove/hood combo, have fun. But it's the cook that makes the food, not the equipment.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Why do you need this...?

I think too often people equate this with better cooking. In my opinion, it's not. It's just trying to pretend you're cooking in a restaurant setting, when you're actually cooking at home.

Certainly, if you have an outdoor space, or a great kitchen/stove/hood combo, have fun. But it's the cook that makes the food, not the equipment.

Weinoo, I'm sure you're absolutely right about plenty of wannabe chefs. But, for me, I have no imaginary life in a commercial kitchen.  I'm just a geek who likes cooking with tools that fit me and who's at best a middling cook.  

It's true, but irrelevant to me, that a pro could get a great deal more than I out of the tools I use. That would be true of any set of tools, low end or high end, that one could assemble.  A pro or highly accomplished amateur will get better results than I virtually every single time and I'm fine with that.

Over time, I get to be a little better and a little better yet as a cook, but ultimately, for me the kitchen is for making food and having fun. I get to play with food and make some really good food (and lots less than good). But, more than anything else, I have fun, and that's the point.  Most of my tools are middle of the road, but all are carefully chosen to fit me. I have everything from many utterly pedestrian (but absolutely useful) items rescued from yard sales and flea markets to a few good stainless aluminum laminate pots and pans.

I have no Japanese knives, no vacuum sealer, no rotovap, no copper pans.  There are vast numbers of fancy tools I don't have.  I could buy many such things but I don't have the room, would make too little use of them, and really just don't want them.

Perhaps we just think differently about whether residential cook-tops are a bit heat limited or not.  For me, I'd just really love to be able to bring up the temperature in a heavy pan one heck of a lot faster.  In terms of pure physics that just means I want access to a lot more heat.

A couple of people offered ideas on induction cookers and outdoor gas heaters for which I'm very grateful, and which I will try out.

• Like 1

a20791a132839fad46c604_m.JPG

I've modified that metal piece helpfully called a "top burner". There's a pinhole where the gas reaches the igniter. When holes like this get wet, simplest to get them really hot, but fastest to blow them out with a can of compressed air. (Accept a six month challenge to use compressed air in every way possible, e.g. cleaning brass pasta dies, drying a razor blade after shaving,..)

I've also seen this hole clog from stray food. Or, on an older stove, just generally give the impression it is too small. Drill it, one step at a time, till the burner lights easily.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

The jet dcarch is talking about is the orafice that is placed in the venturi of the burner.  It is drilled out for the type of fuel being used by the stove.  That absolutely should not be messed with.  The holes around the burner that the gas comes out of can be drilled out somewhat but like everyone else has suggested, it is better to replace the burner or clean it out so it functions at its maximum design. Increasing the holes on the burners does not increase the gas pressure or air mixture (which is separate from the 'jet').  Those would also need to be adjusted if the burners are altered. It's not for someone to do willy nilly.  Restaurant stoves are different animals from home stoves.  They put out a lot more BTUs in the first place and are not insulated as a domestic stove.  The restaurant walls are coded to take the heat. Increasing the amount of heat a home stove puts out can void your home owners insurance.  If someone needed that much heat in a restaurant, he should invest in a stove for a wok.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Perhaps we just think differently about whether residential cook-tops are a bit heat limited or not.  For me, I'd just really love to be able to bring up the temperature in a heavy pan one heck of a lot faster.  In terms of pure physics that just means I want access to a lot more heat.

As I stated above, you  could go to work in a restaurant kitchen or buy a high BTU-stove top or some other appliance which puts out the heat you seek (although I think the heat you seek isn't necessary, even for a food "geek").

Modifying a home gas range by drilling the jets or whatever just sounds stupid.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 8 years later...
16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

my two later gas stoves 

do not allow gas to get to the burners 

unless the iignighter is working .

Interesting. My 8 year old Bosh stovetop allows match lighting.  The oven - I'm too clumsy/scared to eperiment.

its possible there are or were two versions:

one that required electricity 

and one ' dual igniter '

,y current range is 20 years old , mid priced, HomeDepot 

Ive had short power outages here from time to time

and never tried to tonight a burner w a match.

so no idea what this is.

I was out of power for 10 days after a hurricaine

the stove there did not ignite  w a match 

drunk.jpeg.7a11bc8db6683f982596ca7f27863856.jpeg

the charcoal chimney did as did the fireplaces .

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I was u8mnder yhr impression

that gas stoves theses day had electric ignition

rather that pilot light , 

Mine has electric ignition, but I can turn the gas on the burner and light it using a match.  I've never tried to do that with the inside of the oven, but I bet I could.

• Like 2

Ill try to remember to try the burgers 

w a match

should there b the need.

if you do the oven

understand where the igniters  are first 

and then try the broiler , it might be easier to get to .

some broilers don't ignite immediately , 

so id be careful  about dillying and dallying w a match in there 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Mine has electric ignition, but I can turn the gas on the burner and light it using a match.  I've never tried to do that with the inside of the oven, but I bet I could.

Let's try it.     Hold   My  Beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a six burner Viking "Professional" gas cooktop - i.e. not combo oven...

the only thing "Professional" about it is keeping professionals in business "fixing it"

came with electronic ignition - multiple "professional" encounters later, unplug the electronic junk and use one of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

back in the 1960's . . . got a piezoelectric 'sparker' for my parents gas stove - they are evaporated?  no can find . . .

was using the typical butane lighter stuff -

now using this - does not use a heating element - it creates a high voltage spark/arc.

veddy happy with it . . .

• Like 1

The only time I had a problem with one of the electric ignitors on the Wolf range here, I gave the ignitor a gentle, yet thorough cleaning, and that took care of the issue.  They don't like water and/or crud around them.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yes I asked here about my problem igniter on the Bosch. Only happens when stepmother is here and pumps loads of cleaner around it. Grrr The treaty agreement was she uses the 3 burners to right and I solely use the 2 to the left and she does not "clean my area" 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

I think for gas ovens, the only time you can light the gas inside the oven is the broiler, otherwise for baking the gas fire is under the oven, not inside the oven.

dcarch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1