• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiramisu in individual portions- gelatin or no gelatin

Jercooks845

Hey guys just looking for some advice on doing simple individual tiramisu. I have previously made them for a wedding hall and never felt the need for gelatin while my exec. said be prefers the stability of an added gelatin. I think if the zab is correctly set it should hold and then you cool it to add remaining ingredients much like a mousse. So does anyone think I should give the gelatin a shot? If you have a favorite recipe I would appreciate it if you sent it my way and I am also not a pastry chef but I can dabble with sweets! Have a great day thanks!

I agree, gelatin is more an insurance policy than a necessity.  If the desserts will be out at room temp for awhile or subject to dubious handling (as when passed off to a wedding venue), or if you want to mold and unmold them cleanly for perfect presentation, gelatin will help.

How's this sound, whip the whites to stiff, make a zab out of the yolks and sugar, add the liquor and mascarpone once cooled, combine, and then do the saviordi dipped in coffee layered in small glasses? If anyone has a recipe they'd like to share I would appreciate it!

Ingredients

6 large egg yolks, room temperature

1/2 cup sugar

16 ounces mascarpone cheese

4 large egg whites

2 ounces Kahlúa or dark rum, optional

12 to 14 (4-inch) ladyfingers

1 1/2 cups brewed espresso (or 3/4 cup American coffee and 3/4 cup espresso), room temperature

Unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish

Edited by Jercooks845 (log)

• 1 month later...

I make a pan of Tiramisu daily for my dessert shop.  I use Impastata ricotta in place of the mascarpone and it helps stabilize the zab and when I cut my pieces 2 days after being made, they come out perfectly square and have not lost the texture of the cream.... it plates very beautifully.... but needs to set 2 days at least prior to serving for the ladyfingers to turn cake-like and that helps stabilize it too.

Probably too late for the OP but we have fallen in love with tiramisu in recent months thanks to a recipe on ohlavachr.co (no M, just 'co'). Search for Tiramichoux on that blog to find the perfect recipe, no gelatin.

I've also been impressed with Cyril Lignac's Tiramisu Cream, using xanthan as a thickener, in my view, does not destroy the taste but keeps the cream at a good viscosity throughout.

The 'Tiramichoux' was stunningly good the first time we made it and I have only deviated to make the Lignac version because ohlavache.co was down for a few weeks and stupidly I hadn't printed the recipe.

Ohlavache is a great blog, some really good recipes from a blogger who has lived in the UK, Italy and France.

You can find Cyril Lignac's Tiramisu revisited here: http://www.m6.fr/emission-le_meilleur_patissier/recettes-de-cuisine/mascarpone/162861-le_tiramisu_revisite_de_cyril_lignac.html

Not sure how to make the links active, perhaps by magic when the message is posted, I'll read up on the advice before my next post.

Ohlavache is in English

Cyril Lignac's recipe is in French. Google usually offers a translation if needed. I only used the creme marscapone and the emulsion café (mixed together in Kenwwod. I reversed the measurements cream/marscapone. First time I did use a stick blender but it works fine in the Kenwood.

I use the best Génoise recipe I have ever found, taken from the Roux Brothers On Patisserie. Available on Amazon.com for around $8, much more expensive here in the country where it was published. There are no new copies on Amazon which is a shame, it is a brilliant book from which I have learnt huge amounts.

Please PM me if you want more details of the recipes, I guess I can't offer them as published but I can translate Lignac's version if anyone is interested.

The ohlavache méthode for choux pastry is the most fail safe I have ever found, since discovery no batches lost. Sadly before I failed as often as I succeeded.

Apologies if this reply is of no use in view of the time passed since the original post, I see the person that started the thread has also posted a recipe on which she or he sought feedback. Is this the recipe you used for your event, would love to know how it worked out.

Edited to correct iPad auto correct.

Edited by DianaB (log)

I make tiramisu often, roughly every second week. I've been using the recipe in "Heston Blumenthal at Home", I like the ratios.

There is a small amount of gelatine in the recipe but it really just stabilises, I wouldn't say it adversely affects the texture. Certainly doesn't make it mousse like. In fact - a small amount of gelatine may enable you to whip more air into the cream, resulting in a lighter and not heavier result.

When I was MUCH younger I worked in a bakery and all the whipped cream had a gelatine-based stabiliser added. It's just down to ratios and precision, gelatine doesn't automatically mean firm or jelly-like. If you are using gelatine then I would definitely suggest using gelatine leaves for accuracy and consistency, as powdered gelatine is not standardised.

In fairness I haven't tried making it without the gelatine, so I guess I don't really know how much affect is has on the result. But having made the recipe dozens of time I can definitely say that the result is lovely with the gelatine in it.

• Like 1