• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Pappardelle

scubadoo97

Those of you interested in taking the plunge into making your own pasta may be interested in the old eGullet Culinary Institute courses on pasta, here:

Pasta Around the Mediterranean

Stuffed Pastas - Pansotti, Tortelloni, and Raviolo

Stuffed Pastas - Tortelli, Ravioli and Cappellitti

I have several books on making my own pasta; I've enrolled in an online course on making pasta; but every now and again I remember that the eGCI can also provide an excellent start - without our having to wait for Franci's new book.   :cool:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Chez Panisse has a recipe for herb pasta:  for a 2.5 cup flour recipe, she uses 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs.  Mix the herbs in with the flour before incorporating the eggs or other wet ingredients of your choice.  Her suggested herb combo is parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.  I have made this combo and the amount of herb is good.  Not too herby.

Chez Panisse has a recipe for herb pasta:  for a 2.5 cup flour recipe, she uses 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs.  Mix the herbs in with the flour before incorporating the eggs or other wet ingredients of your choice.  Her suggested herb combo is parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.  I have made this combo and the amount of herb is good.  Not too herby.

Grazie!

"I drink to make other people interesting".

One thing I like doing if you have tiny basil, tiny sage, flat leaf parsley or cilantro leaves is to roll the pasta to it's thinnest setting in the machine, lay it flat on the table and put the herbs on top of the pasta, then fold the pasta over and roll again on the 2nd thinnest setting. You get a windowpane effect coming through the pasta. Cut into wide enough strips that you can see the herbs, this makes for a great presentation.

It doesn't work with older basil/sage leaves as the middle rib is too thick and will tear the dough. If you're using parsley or cilantro, make sure to pluck only the leaf and not the stem.

• Like 3

PS: I am a guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, first batch of dough from Flour & Water.  15 egg yolks!  The dough came together quite well.  I used four squirts from the spray bottle at a time to bring whole batch together.  A total of 20 water squirts which amount to 3/4 of a tablespoon so not much really.  I kneaded it for 12 minutes and it is in the fridge, resting until dinner when I will try the rolling technique from the book.  Sorry about the sideways picture!DSC00701.JPGDSC00706.JPGDSC00708.JPGDSC00710.JPG

DSC00701.JPG

DSC00706.JPG

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00710.JPG

• Like 4

Cakewalk:  I have egg whites in the freezer from the last time I made pasta.  My dogs don't really like them so I am sad to say I fed my septic tank!

Franci:  Nice, I wish I had seen this before.  I will try this pasta next time.  Thank you.

After letting the dough rest in the fridge for a few hours and then for an hour on the counter I began rolling it out as per the instructions in the book.  One pass through the first three settings.  Then it is folded the width of the machine less two finger widths to create at least four layers.  Then the dough is turned 90 degrees and run through the first three settings three times.  Final rolling to the second last setting so you can see the counter top through the pasta.  It was then cut and hung to dry slightly.  The dough was beautiful to work with and required no flour to roll out.  The author says any exterior flour muddles the flavour of the sauce.  As for the taste of the pasta, it was very tender but we had it with tomato sauce and meatballs.  I think the tomato sauce over powered the taste of the pasta.  I think a lighter sauce would accent the pasta flavour better.  And, I'm not sure it was "THAT" much better than Thomas Keller's 6 egg yolk pasta.  I will have to make TK's and compare. 

DSC00712.JPGDSC00713.JPGDSC00714.JPGDSC00718.JPG

• Like 4