• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cookbook on fermenting

gfron1

The Art of Fermentation, by Sandor Katz, has been making quite a splash. I'm a pickling newbie and have only purchased his 'baby' book, Wild Fermentation, but the full blown Art is reputed to be encyclopedic.

Edited to add Amazon links.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

FWIW, the book I found most useful is available online and free: Fermented Fruits & Vegetables by Battcock & Azam-Ali (1998).  No recipes, but a really good explanation of what's going on biologically. 

For recipes, I like Ziedrich a lot.  Have looked at Katz at least a dozen times and always put it back, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Best one is the one that drills home the point- use starter cultures.  Best kimchi is the one made with some of your previous batch.  I'm not sure where along the line I figured that out, but once I did fermenting lost the mystery (and sort of the need for recipes, you want it to be one or more of sour, salty, sweet to various degrees, and control what grows on/in it :)

(I think Nourishing Traditions was the best one for me, I recall it encourages expermentation which shocked me at first, as I had been reading the horror's of living-food in my blue-ball book of preserving)

• Like 2

Nourishing Traditions came along a bit late for me -I'd already encountered most of the ideas elsewhere - but it's well worth seeking out if you haven't already really dug into this area yet.

Surprisingly a lot of good information on the internet, especially in some of the university extension websites in "fermentation homeland" states.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can6a_ferment.html

Some of my favorites are things that are only partially fermented, such as Turkish pickles - not designed to keep for long periods.

• Like 1