• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to access recipes in the kitchen...

lindag

Caveat One: I don't use a lot of recipes.

Caveat Two. I find the majority of recipes are not organized and worded to my satisfaction, so I word process any new recipe I'm going to try into my preferred format. I then make a PDF file of said document and put that onto my android tablet. For me this works very well, but I'm certain it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

If I want to use a recipe from one of my dead tree cookbooks I can almost always find a copy out int internet land. I copy and paste, then do my editing, checking against the dead tree copy to make sure the final product is accurate. If using a kindle cookbook I copy and paste from that, and do my formatting.

I never, NEVER give out copies of what I've transcribed so I don't feel I'm violating the spirit of copyright protection.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

All my recipes are formatted very simply as text files (.rtf), so they can be read by any software. I use Apple's Text Edit on my desktop and laptop to create and edit these. But could use any word processor. 

I store them all in my DropBox folder. This means they're always instantly synced, and can be accessed on either of my computers, on my phone, or on the web. The phone screen is a little small for this, but it works fine. 

Usually I print out a copy, as ecologically dubious and 20th century that might sound. A sheet of paper is a little more manageable in the kitchen than a gizmo, and I can scribble on it; everything's a work in progress and I like to be able to make notes.

I manually do version control. Which means, a file might have a title like "Yak Butter Cake v7." Versions 1 through 6 are in a folder labelled "Old." This is not especially elegant; there is software that will do version control for you automatically. My girlfriend thinks I should use GitHub. But the simplicity of this system works for me, and I'm used to it.

Something like Evernote or Apple's Notes would offer similar functionality, and would handle the syncing without DropBox or Google Drive. But I like the idea of keeping this stuff in generic formats, and not subjecting it to the whims of a private company.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 1/3/2020 at 10:00 PM, Porthos said:

I never, NEVER give out copies of what I've transcribed so I don't feel I'm violating the spirit of copyright protection.

If the recipes are in your own words, you wouldn't be violating copyright. The only thing copyrightable is the exact language. Recipes themselves aren't considered intellectual property. 

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

Google Docs also has version control.

I like using Google Docs because recipes are automatically uploaded to Google Drive—no extra steps.

When I do use a word processor it's open-source LibreOffice.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

limited solutions....

check

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-access-a-remote-desktop-from-an-ipad/

in contrast to Mac desktops, Apple has made no software available for the iPad that will run / emulate Windows programs.

however, the above solution lets you operate your Windows desktop 'remotely' from an iPad.

Yes, there are several ways to do this in Windows/Linux.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

in this particular case, the problem is not accessing files - but accessing an application aka program.

LC is apparently only available for Windows.  so the only option is to run the program remotely on the pc using the iPad.

now.... given the need for a geek to get it set up, and the distinct possibility that "next version" Apple software will not longer allow something like the mouse to function on the iPad, or the remote software to run comma anymore , , ,

might be smarter to invest $200 in an el-cheapo Windows tablet, network all the Win pcs together and let 'er  rip.

a dedicated cooking tablet, so to speak....

1 minute ago, AlaMoi said:

might be smarter to invest $200 in an el-cheapo Windows tablet, network all the Win pcs together and let 'er  rip.

Yes.

If I wanted to, I could access all recipes on a $49 Amazon Fire tablet. Lickety-split!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)