• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to access recipes in the kitchen...

lindag

when your computer is in another part of the house?

I use Living Cookbook which I couldn't live without.  But I can't pull up a recipe without going upstairs to my desktop computer.  I wish LC was available on my iPad.

I have an app called Snap Recipes that is on my iPad. It is a free app. You can "snap" a picture of a recipe and load it to the app where it can be filed under various categories. It is just a straight forward little app - nothing fancy but it is handy to have.

• Like 1

I use these amazing new inventions.

A stick of wood which has a graphite rod inserted into its core. The point is then sharpened and used to make marks on the second invention.

The second invention is made from old rags or grassy vegetation etc which is reduced to a thin pulp then laid out in thin sheets and dried. It then receives marks from invention 1.

I then copy the ingredients and instructions (often abbreviating) from the non portable source onto the the thin sheets using invention 1 and carry them to the kitchen where I read and follow the recipe.

Ain't modern technology great!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have oodles of recipes that I keep in a Word document. If I am going to attempt a recipe, I usually copy and paste the recipe into a Notepad document and print that out. Since Notepad doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles to it, it's easy to do.

If I had a smart phone or handheld device, I would definitely find an app that would display the recipe (or that I could paste the recipe into). Then I wouldn't have to waste a sheet of paper.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Take a screenshot (s) of your recipe in Living Cookbook on your computer and email it to yourself so you can access it from your iPad.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use Google Keep.

Easy access from any location with any device.

Easy editing.

Sharing and collaboration.

Archiving.

Ability to add photos.

Reminders.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The other day I made munavalgekook.  I brought the recipe up on the computer screen and was about to use Liuzhou's graphite rod method to transfer the information to the kitchen.  Then I thought, wait a moment, I now have an iPad.  Much easier to read than my handwriting, I must say.  Plus the iPad takes no more time to carry to the kitchen than a pile of old dried rags.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Take a screenshot (s) of your recipe in Living Cookbook on your computer and email it to yourself so you can access it from your iPad.

Or simply take a picture of the computer screen using the iPad camera.  I just tested this method and it works.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't wish to belabor my question, but it seems I wasn't clear:

Here's the scenario:

I am in the kitchen and decide I want to make my recipe for Pineapple Upside down Cake.  But the recipe is upstairs in LC on my desktop computer.  I have to go upstairs to access LC and print out the recipe.  I want to be able to have LC on my iPad so I'm not always running up and down the stairs.  It appears there's no real solution.

• Like 1

Here's the scenario:

I am in the kitchen and decide I want to make my recipe for Pineapple Upside down Cake.  But the recipe is upstairs in LC on my desktop computer.  I have to go upstairs to access LC and print out the recipe.  I want to be able to have LC on my iPad so I'm not always running up and down the stairs.  It appears there's no real solution.

I believe there is, but let me first point out that I'm far from an expert in this matter.  However, some of my friends have set up their computers and other devices (phones, for example) so that whatever is on one machine appears on another.  I believe it has something to do with cloud storage.  Here are a few solutions that seem to fit your needs https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/4 and  http://kb.soluto.com/dropbox/how-do-i-keep-my-files-the-same-across-all-devices/ and https://www.apple.com/icloud/ although I know there are other ways of doing this.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Try Paprika. 

"Import existing recipes from popular desktop apps such as MacGourmet, YummySoup!, MasterCook & Living Cookbook."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Here's the scenario:

I'm no computer whiz and don't even know what LC is, but, I email myself any recipe I save in my hard drive. I can therefore access my recipes anywhere I have internet access. 

I'm no computer whiz and don't even know what LC is, but, I email myself any recipe I save in my hard drive. I can therefore access my recipes anywhere I have internet access.

I do the same thing. I have an exceedingly simple set up--I file my recipes on the computer, then when I want to use one, cooy and paste the recipe into an email, which I read from my iPad on the kitchen counter. No bells, no whistles, just simple.

Try Paprika.

"Import existing recipes from popular desktop apps such as MacGourmet, YummySoup!, MasterCook & Living Cookbook."

I had similiar issue as you. My PC is in the office which is in another room away from the kitchen. So I use paprika on my iPad to pull up recipes while I'm in the kitchen. It exports from various cooking websites, recipes and failing that. This is where I use Evernote; I take screenshot of recipe online from LC or other resource that isn't available via paprika and save it to Evernote.

Viola.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Paprika; I use it to clip and add recipes. It's excellent. And syncs wirelessly across my iPhone, iPad and laptop.

As others here have said, you can import Live Cookbook content into Paprika, and then use Paprika to read your Live Cookbook stuff on your iPad in the kitchen.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 1

I had my PC upstairs at a desk for years, but now it's down here in the kitchen/dining room. Andiesenjie used the term "kitchen/family room", and although I never thought of it that way, it applies to my situation, because we have a wide screen TV and both our computers in here.

I just look up recipes on my computer, screen on the dining room table, and take about six steps from the stove or five from the sink when I need to refer to it.

I've learned over the years, though, that computers eventually die. I always copy cherished recipes into the real world so they don't perish with the machine.

Some may rely on thumb drives or some other backup. I spent years making my living by, among other things, backing up other people's data, and storing those backups at my home offsite. I'm kind of burnt out with that though. Today, some brand new thumb drives, and other media come preloaded with viruses so I leave them alone. They are the quickest way IMO to introduce malware.

> ^ . . ^ <

• 4 years later...

FWIW-Here's my kitchen PC set-up.
A 2008 HP xw4600 Workstation that I paid $100 for about 8 years ago. Easily running free Xubuntu 18.04 Linux. The monitor is a 27" Acer—portrait orientation.

One of the nice things about portrait orientation is that I can read an entire recipe from anywhere in the kitchen—zooming if necessary.

I keep almost all of my personal recipes organized in Google Drive.
I keep 4 copies of ALL my files on 4 separate drives.

One copy is at my brother's house—just in case...

Shown is a recipe from Escoffier's A Guide to Modern Cookery—1907

IMG_20200103_133439334.jpg

• Like 2