• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York Times 20 Most Popular Recipes 2014

Shelby

Wow. Have not made any of them and is it just me or do they not seem kind of boring and tired?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made Craig Claiborne's Smothered  Chicken recipe about 30 years ago.  :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

More like, The Gray Lady's published recipes are not all that spectacular.  :)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

20 most popular?  Must have been a pretty small sample group.

Yes I wonder how they came up with these recipes as being at the most popular.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Usually its by page views or email frequency

If it's by page views then it is pointless. I might look at 100 or more recipes in a week of which one or perhaps two will be worthy of a second thought.

My 2004 eG Blog

My guess is, most favorable reviews.

Article Says those recipes most saved to recipe boxes.

Yes.  As opposed to what folks on eG or CH or wherever might prefer.  The article simply reported what the readership downloaded.

ETA:  Some of the recipes look quite nice, actually.  I might make some of them myself.  "Boring and Tired"?  Not really, IMO.  They seem to be quite serviceable recipes, things that folks in the general populace might like, not necessarily stuff that exalted personages might prefer.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Yes.  As opposed to what folks on eG or CH or wherever might prefer.  The article simply reported what the readership downloaded.

ETA:  Some of the recipes look quite nice, actually.  I might make some of them myself.  "Boring and Tired"?  Not really, IMO.  They seem to be quite serviceable recipes, things that folks in the general populace might like, not necessarily stuff that exalted personages might prefer.

Well, huiray, I don't consider myself an exalted personage but I do consider the New York Times to be an exalted and sophisticated newspaper. It devotes a fair amount of its budget to food journalism of one kind or another compared to most other newspapers and so I would've expected to see something a little more leading-edge. You are right there is nothing wrong with many of the recipes per se they are just oddly out of place to be the most popular that for the readership of the New York Times in my humble opinion.

My 2004 eG Blog

I like reading the NYTimes food sections.

but over time I realize its food editors choose to report on what the readership wants to see in its pages.

a long long time ago  'white' salmon was the rage, and in the very very high end NYC restaurants.  expensive it was.

I was looking forward to trying it some day.  I love fresh salmon  fresh is the key

in Menlo Park CA there is Cook's Seafood.  while visiting my father many many times  ( I grew up one 'town' down from MP )

i used to get there salmon all the time.  had no aroma what so ever, unless it was like the sea.

I asked abut white salmon.  they said I tasted the same are any other salmon, and indeed the fishermen threw it back as no one 

would buy it.  a genetic allele change or something.  they also said, people wanted deep colored salmon, hence the feed of

farmed reflected those pigments.

lo and be hold one trip there white salmon was on ice.  I was very excited.

to save us all a bit of time, tasted fine.  the exact same taste as fresh pigmented salmon.

pigment is not the same as lots of fat, BTW that can make a piece of S look a bit pale.

NYT was just reinforcing NYC Chic.

after all, its their job to sell papers.  now they sell clicks

this is not a criticism, just the market at work.

I also like looking at those dishes.  

must have missed the ref. in the paper.

PS  I havent thought about Bananas Foster is quite some time

Ill be making the B.F.Bread Pudding soon !

Edited by rotuts (log)

Yeah, it's not that they're bad recipes....I just don't see anything there that screams "try me!"

• Like 1

The recipes look fine to me--they are the kind of recipes that work their way into the regular repetoire of family meals. I say if this is what NYTimes readers are cooking and eating, that's great--and better than ordering Chinese in a regular basis.

Well, yeah, by definition, the most popular recipes are the ones with the most broad based appeal. I think people in the food world often forget that for every avid food enthusiast, there's 10 casual food enthusiasts and for every casual food enthusiasts, there's 10 complete beginners. So if you take a poll of the most popular anything, it's going to be aimed at a relatively unsophisticated audience.

• Like 2

PS: I am a guy.