• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stinking gelatin ruining gummy candy

dgrogandesign

Hi all. I am trying to create some 'gummy' candy using a recipe from a book called 'Sugar confectionary and chocolate manufacture'. its calls for the use of a substantial amount of gelatin(180 bloom), 25 parts to be exact followed by 90 water, 80 sugar, 80 glucose syrup. so compared to other recipes that is a large proportion of gelatin. here's the problem....the stuff stinks. one probably wouldn't notice if using in small quantities but because so much is required the foul odour carries through to the final product. is my gelatin of poor quality? i am using gelatin derived from pigs. would it be better to use beef gelatin? or perhaps use a higher bloom gelatin with less quantity? any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Danny.

Also does anyone have any experience in using agar or something similar as a jelling agent for making sweets? the more i look into using gelatin as a gelling agent the more concerned i am becoming with its provenience the ethics of the issue. bypassing animals altogether might be the best option unless the texture and flavour release etc are completely compromised.

Agar is used completely differently, and gives a completely different result to gelatin.  Unfortunately for you, there are really no other gelling agents that give the flavour release and melt-in-the-mouth texture of gelatin.

If you're concerned about the ethics of it, I'd recommend abandoning gummy sweets and switching to chocolate.

• Like 1

The closest you can get is to make candies with the method that gumdrops are made. (agar doesn't work well in candies, I tried, and you'd see lots of them and they don't exist) Candies like Swedish Fish and Fuzzy Peaches are made like gumdrops, and, if the sugar is vegan they are vegan.

Halal gummy candies are made with Carrageenan.  If you click HERE and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, you will find the forumla for carrageenan jelly candy.

I have used guar gum to make lakhoum - which often uses gelatin or agar agar.  It gels well and holds well except in high humidity. 

There is some info at this site.

Vegetarian, halal and kosher.

I've also tried kuzu starch and it worked okay but I only tried it with high acid lemon drops.  I'm not sure how it would work with low-acid flavors.

I get the Bob's Red Mill guar gum

HPIM7183.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Halal gummy candies are made with Carrageenan.  If you click HERE and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, you will find the forumla for carrageenan jelly candy.

I have used guar gum to make lakhoum - which often uses gelatin or agar agar.  It gels well and holds well except in high humidity. 

There is some info at this site.

Vegetarian, halal and kosher.

I've also tried kuzu starch and it worked okay but I only tried it with high acid lemon drops.  I'm not sure how it would work with low-acid flavors.

I get the Bob's Red Mill guar gum

attachicon.gifHPIM7183.JPG

thanks. which made a better product if you dont mind me asking; the carageenan or the guar gum? thanks

thanks. which made a better product if you dont mind me asking; the carageenan or the guar gum? thanks

I never used the carrageenan myself.  I only saw it used by a friend who owns a bakery/cafe and who makes gel "fruits" to decorate cookies and cakes.

I had very good results with the guar gum - although I did not aim for a hard gel - lakhoum is supposed to be a bit softer so it is easy to bite.  For solid gel, like gummy candies, you use a bit more. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett