• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky Pride 10 yr

mickblueeyes

The history of this distillery is interesting and can be found here http://www.ellenjaye.com/americanwhiskey/k...bourbondist.htm This is one of two bottles I managed to obtain, so let me advise you, if you love bourbon, to buy this if you ever find it. This bottle was distilled on 11-1-84 and bottled on 2-26-97 at 45% abv. Like all bourbons, it is charcoal filtered and sour mash, but the marketer has gone out of their way to put it on the label.

The color is old gold with copper glints. The legs form slowly for bourbon, an indication of age. The nose hints at a light orangey/peachy sweetness with a touch of ethanol and evolves into rich caramel. The forepalate exhibits sweet butterscotch and toffee which then evolve into slightly acidic flavors (oranges?) and it finishes with a rich, charcoaly, smoky finish--quite unique for a bourbon.

Overall, this is fantastic (especially at the 19.99 I picked it up for) and I highly recommend it.