• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide a 4 bone Rib Roast?

Paul Bacino

I thinking of trying this?

I will be traveling to vegas to see my daughter, and I thought it might be interesting to show the relatives what sous vide is about!!  I will be traveling with a poly circulator ( first will that be a problem through security?)

i prefer to carry it on!!

I cant pre-sear it/ so i plan to finish it on the barbie

They said they will seal it for me--I asked for S and heavy pepper to be apply  by the Butcher shop( family owned ) - a day ahead

I told my daughter to have a cooler available>

Now--  Should I try this noting all the varibles I dont have control of.. ie type of plastic sealer/ seasoning/ travel security/ first time trying  ( i do a fare share of home SV )

Last--Time and temp if approved by all __ that being my wife too   :cool:  ( my thoughts is 6hrs @ 140F )  ?

Thoughts

Paul

Its good to have Morels

wow what a project

Baldwin suggest :

rare, unpasteurized  125  3 - 4

Mediumrare  130  8 - 12

personally if the meat is of you usual quality  id not go higher than 130

medium  140  8 - 12    is the suggestion for your temp.

best of luck.   hope to see some pics !

• Like 1

I would get your butcher to salt it three days ahead. It's a big joint. Personally I wouldn't use black pepper, especially if you're searing it.

As for finishing on bbq, clinch it, put it straight onto the red hot coals. That'll impress them!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)
  • Like 1

I would strongly advise against presalting, since the meat is in danger of curing on the surface with the long cooking times you're dealing with. You don't want to serve corned beef. There aren't any advantages to presalting a piece of long-cooked beef. You can do it before searing. 

But long cooking really isn't advisable for this cut in the first the place.

I would cut it into 1.5" thick rib steaks. A whole rib roast will take a very long time to cook to the center. These long cooking times are no friend to tender cuts of beef. Very likely the meat near the surface will get both mushy and dried out.

With moderately thick steaks, you can s.v. them at 55°C for just a couple of hours.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

I agree that SVing the whole roast is probably not a good idea. +1 for cutting into steaks if that's the end result you're looking for.... But, i will say that I think there is a big difference in flavor between a 4 bone rib roast properly roasted, and rib steaks. Totally different browned exterior to succulent interior ratio. Plus, the "deckle" (is taht what the outside flap is called?) comes out very differently as well.

Kenneth  --  "Plus, the "deckle" (is taht what the outside flap is called?) comes out very differently as well."

Yes  --if you get a chance and source the " Rib Cap "  which is rolled and tied.  All by it self , its awesome

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Hi everyone! First post here.... Not totally on the original topic, but this was the closest I could find. I just bought an Anova SV and have done pork chops, chicken, and green beans. My latest experiment is SV beef short ribs (Modernist Cuisine made easy recipe Basil Balsamic). After 24 hrs at 137F, the bag got some air in it and floated to the surface. I cut it open - slight funk but not bad. Resealed (FoodSaver) and returned to SV.

I didn't pre-sear, or blanch, so am wondering if I've encountered any bacteria issues that caused the gas to form. I had planned to sear the ribs after a 36 hr cook and am wondering if they're safe. Or if I should just toss them (or freeze them first and eat another time?) and start over.

Any advice that could be provided would be helpful! Thanks in advance!