• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai blue flower tea aka butterfly pea flowers

hummingbirdkiss

I was kindly given a bag and wow this makes brilliant blue color? But as far as drinking it as tea? Has anyone tried this and have recipes? If not it will be religated to the food coloring section of the pantry? Fascinating the color oozes a very deep unfoodlike blue into the water like you are pouring blue ink in. Straight from the bottle. But the flowers just look like little blue flowers, no evidence the color is anything but natural, it doesnt rub off, but when it hits water you have RIT DYE blue if you out lemon in it turns purple ..fun but I have no clue about these, did a search it does everything from cure diabetes to make blue food color ..i hate search engines

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Thank you Kenneth I am making sticky rice for sure how fun that looks! I wish it was fragrant. ...I can eat blue food but this color in a drink is rather hard for me.

It is almost too blue to drink.

Maybe because someone dear to me with dementia offered me a glass of windshield whiper fliud that was this exact color?

They have the flowers on amazon i just looked, i am going to try to grow them. The botanical name caught me off guard !

I will make the sticky rice first.

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I encountered butterfly pea flower at a snack stall in Thailand. I don't recall it tastes like much. It's just purty.

(Clockwise from left) White sticky rice with yam, sticky rice with butterfly pea flower, and black sticky rice with coconut.

gallery_50011_5244_206195.jpg

• Like 1