• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Here was a three course meal I put together recently. The first was the caramelized carrot soup from The Modernist Cuisine, garnished with some hot coconut chutney foam. The foam was outstanding, essentially the recipe has you made a fluid gel (using low acyl gellan) with coconut milk, coconut cream, mint, cilantro, and a small amount of hot green pepper. Then you charge it with a whipping siphon and serve it hot.

tumblr_nhbmgjCH1r1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

I had a pork jowl dish at a local restaurant recently, which kind of inspired the next dish. I brined some chicken thighs (and added a good amount of liquid smoke), then cooked them sous vide for 4 hours at 150 F. I served the chicken with some Brussels sprouts kimchi, asian pear, whipped lemon creme fraiche, radish sprouts, and Togarashi.

tumblr_nhbmluFjwr1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Finally for dessert I made about half of the components for the "Mint & Chocolate" recipe from Eleven Madison Park. This included spearmint sorbet, chocolate mousse, chocolate cookie crumble, and whipped creme fraiche.

tumblr_nhbmp31kUN1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Beautiful job. That's my kind of cooking! I use a chinoise to strain the soup which makes it very smooth. Great presentation also.

• Like 2

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

scamhi

my congratulations on the Chablis.

If I could only get one white wine

and could afford it

it would be Chablis.

the one Red which in times

past Ive had, having aged it myself

would be very old

Zinfandel.

Ridge for the Zin

only the best years

20 Y + is good.

sorry for the formating

have no Idea why this is happening.

• Like 3

Tonight we will celebrate our Christmas...John has been working on a craft to surprise me with.  Have I mentioned I hate surprises?

After getting home from a meeting last night made gravy for the requested lasagna.  About to assemble it in a bit.  Italian bread and garlic paste made...mixed green salad and a simple vinaigrette.

Going in with the lasagna are baked oatmeal made with plums and apricots to be reheated for breakfast tomorrow, thin chicken cutlets with olive oil and herbs to go on the leftover Italian bread for lunch while birding tomorrow and blueberry kuchen with toast dope.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Why'd you cut up the steak prior to cooking?

Apparently a New York steakhouse technique, perhaps originally Peter Luger. For whatever reason, we find that cutting it up and reassembling it gets us to perfection (and it really is). Also much easier to check doneness. There is a video online somewhere.

• Like 1

Turkey porchetta from a Kenji Alt recipe.

attachicon.gifIMG_20141231_162812_549.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20141231_163052_189.jpg

Me likes!!!  :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

That turkey porchetta looks amazing, gfweb. I recently did something similar to the Food Lab turkey recipe, but with chicken. And pork stuffing. And cooked it sous vide. So, OK, not that similar, but still:

Chicken breast, stuffed with pork and fennel sausage, cranberries and sage. Sous vided for awhile and topped with a stuffing-crumble mix of buttered, toasted bread, pistachios, more cranberries, thyme and crushed pork crackling:

10432148_10152966366279122_5681304339094661580_n.jpg

And crispy potato and thyme gratin:

10850166_10152966372799122_7559169651283500527_n.jpg

And grilled apricots brushed in pistachio oil with crushed pistachio amaretti biscuits, roast pistachios and pistachio gelato. And more thyme.

1484305_10152966366409122_1222508268272150525_n.jpg

• Like 12

This is one of the first times in the last 10 years I have either been out of NYC or cooking for an event on NYE.    We stopped at Murray's Cheese before heading home last night/. We put together  a really lovely cheese plate.  1)There was a Triple Cream : Cremeux de Bourgogne.  2)An aged Swiss- Challerhocker 3)A wonderful blue-Blu di Bufala. It was aged and had little crunchy bits of crystals. Fantastic   We were at a loss as to decide which we liked better between the Challer and the Blue but, even the Cremeux was really lovely for what it was.  Helped break up the intensity of the other two. Texturally, it was dreamy.   The whole spread was 40 bucks.  We ordered a quarter pound of everything.  And have leftover swiss and cremeux as well as bread and meat.  Murray's was jumping yesterday.  They must have had 12 people behind the counter.  In the 12 minutes or less it took the guy to slice my meat and cut the cheese, 30 people had been called.  pretty wild to see the amount of business.  

For meat we had a 30 month Prosciutto and this meat called 16th street Salami from a place out of Pittsburgh called, Crested Duck.  The salami was interesting.  It was slightly sour, very porky and tasted Chinese in some way I can't describe. My wife mentioned this to me before I would have brought it up as I thought that may have invited ridicule.  I went on their site last night and it appears they have an array of products that I would like to try.   

To drink a bottle of 1978 Lopez Heredia Rioja.  While it had no turned to vinegar, I think it had seen better days.  It was "passed it's prime" but, still enjoyable.  The bottle was from a good memory so, it was worthy of a celebration.   Very low key evening. We aren't too mobile these days. 

16138532696_2366f0ec88_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11

Fantastic meal RRO! I've missed seeing your food.

I've done that porchetta SV in the past and then finished it in a pan of hot oil to crisp up the skin. Its a little better that way, but I didn't have the three hours it takes to cook it SV so I did it old school in a low oven.

• Like 1

It's my final day here and I have been eating Swabian food (and drinking Swabian wines, too.). (Where is Swabia?)

Two recent meals made in my simple lodging's kitchen: Swabian filled parcels (eaten with fried onions and bread crumbs fried in Schmalz). Schupf noodles with Sauerkraut and Speck (smoked pork belly).

ibiHxEsXHQ1Ezq.JPG

idU7XLdS4nN68.JPG

ibd6Wz6xre2ZcC.JPG

ibtgqzOtPQtg1r.JPG

ibjI6ghRlPwsfM.JPG

ib0RpxCwXT6jim.JPG

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 12

BonVivant

Do you have a recipe for your maultashen?  They look quite different from mine and I would love to try them.....thanks.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

^^ Maybe you roll the Maultaschen differently?  There are lots of recipes on the web but I think the rolling technics are are sometimes hard to follow.

I have this book, bought it on another trip to other towns in this state.

imStW4regKJ7A.JPG

• Like 2

Shelby: I must show my s-i-l your roast goose and noodle soup next time he shows up with a wild goose. Usually he's in such a hurry to cook and eat it, that's about all he does with it!

New Years Eve: put together a paella for the two of us. No clams to be had so it was mussels, scallops, shrimp, baby octopus, chicken, and chorizo. Had a half bottle of Martini Asti - a walk down memory lane with this wine. I don't drink because any amount of alcohol makes me turn beet red and sleepy, but I really like this...?! :rolleyes:

Ate while watching Elvis on Tour and Hard Day's Night on the telly, followed by New Years Eve in New York and at Niagara Falls.

Dec31Paella1878.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!!!  I hope you all  had a safe and happy night :)  We had a great evening full of fun things to eat.

I've been eying this chashu pork recipe http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/chashu-pork-marinated-braised-pork-belly-for-tonkotsu-ramen-recipe.htmlso since I had a pork belly in the freezer, I decided to make this for NYE/anniversary dinner.

photo 1.jpg

You should have seen the struggle I had trying to tie this sucker up lol.

photo 2.JPG

You bring the soy sauce etc. to a boil, then place the rolled pork in, then stick in a 275 F oven for 3-4 hours.

photo 3.JPG

All done!

photo 4.JPG

After a nice long overnight nap in the fridge, you slice it thinly and heat it up in the sauce that you baked it in.  Or, the recipe says you can make ajitsuke tamago using the sauce.  I was going to do that, but I got lazy and only made the eggs.  I didn't marinate them.

photo 3.JPG

photo.JPG

We had a little shrimp cocktail to start off 

photo 1.JPG

Tuesday I made tons of pork spring rolls and crab rangoon (I rolled them up like the pork spring rolls) and froze most of them.  

photo 4.JPG

Goodies to put in our pho (it's probably not traditional pho, but it's what I call pho)

photo 2.JPG

I FINALLY got the eggs right.....set enough to peel, but a bit runny in the middle.  My bowl:

photo 5.JPG

I have my black eyed peas soaking....now I need to figure out what to have with them.  Mr. Shelby is going deer hunting in a bit, so I have some time to decide :)

• Like 12