• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Various recent meals and dishes, not necessarily in sequence.

Chicken curry, in a quasi-Southern Indian style.  Provided a couple of meals plus some snacks.

DSCN3474a_800.jpg

DSCN3485c_800.jpg

DSCN3495a_600.jpg

Accompaniments for the rice platters were blanched romaine in one case and valor beans in another.

DSCN3470b_800.jpg

DSCN3487b_800.jpg

Kangkong belacan w/ har mai.  White rice.  Pan-browned & lightly scrambled soft tofu w/ stuff.

DSCN3438b_800.jpg

Linguine [Ferrara] w/ tomato-butter-onion sauce, Pecorino Romano.  Blanched Brassica rapa var. parachinensis dressed w/ EV olive oil & sea salt & black pepper.

DSCN3448b_800.jpg

Pickled mustard soup w/ pork spare ribs & belly pork, & pickled plums & etc.  With soba noodles.

DSCN3451a_800.jpg

Soup.  Beef balls [Venus] w/ big-leaf tong ho, fresh wood-ear fungus, snow fungus, garlic, chicken stock.

DSCN3455b_800.jpg

Fried rice w/ scallions, eggs, Thai basil.  Pickled cucumbers, scallions, Korean radish, sesame seeds.

DSCN3457b_800.jpg

"Stirfried Kimchi Noodles" [Paldo] augmented w/ more baechu kimchi [commercial], soft tofu chunks, scallions, eggs poached in situ.

DSCN3465a_800.jpg

Corned beef, dolmades, marinated mushrooms, Kalamata olives [all commercial], chopped romaine heart leaves, country-style Dijon mustard.  Slice of an apple-type pie [Rene's Bakery].

DSCN3489a_800.jpg

DSCN3494a_600.jpg

• Like 8

Happy Boxing Day!  

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

I love the days after Christmas.......everything is done and I can take time and enjoy my Christmas lights :)

Christmas eve I decided on Christmas enchiladas .....well I called them Christmas enchiladas.

Seafood enchiladas (white), Chicken enchiladas with hatch chile sauce (red), Green rice and Rancho Gordo beans (the name of them escapes me right now)

photo 3.JPG

Christmas day we spent a couple hours at my in-laws house.  My sister-in-law made three pans of lasagna and salad.  Everything was very good.  I contributed bread.

photo 1.JPG

I didn't eat too much there, though, because I was saving room for the prime rib that was relaxing in my fridge :)  He's all seasoned up here and ready for his fridge time uncovered.

photo 2.JPG

I was nervous about cooking it, but, I gotta say, it was a Christmas miracle.  It turned out soooooooo good.  I put it in at 4:00 p.m. at 210 degrees F.  Recipe said 200 F, but my oven runs a bit cold.  I took it's temp at 6:30 and it was at 90 degrees F.  At 7:30 it was a perfect 120 degrees F so I took it out and let it rest for 30 mins.  In the meantime I heated the oven up to 500 degrees F.  After the rest I popped it back in for about 6 mins. so that the outside was nicely seared.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 17

that's a perfectly trimmed R.B. !

and perfectly cooked !

you and Ann_T and Paul Bacino

will have to battle it out for the TopSpot on Prime Rib.

It might come down to the sides, ie the Potatoes !

( PS  if Ive forgotten Your P.R. .... have you shown us your Work Lately ? )

as my friend sometime says :  There is Plenty of Room at the Top.

image.jpg

I am sure that all the lassies and laddies from Lancashire are rolling their eyes and that our Italian contingent are scratching their heads.

This is homemade piadina topped with sautéed green cabbage, reheated Lancashire hot pot and some dressed greens. The piadina was the most disappointing part of this meal. I followed a recipe from Academia Barilla but ended up with a tough and tasteless flatbread.

I had researched recipes for this Italian specialty and they ranged all over the map. Some called for baking powder, some baking soda, some for neither. The fat could be butter, lard or extra-virgin olive oil. The one I chose called for baking powder and extra-virgin olive oil.

The resulting dough resisted rolling out like no dough I have ever run into. No amount of resting helped.

So I ate the toppings and left the dough and my waistline thanked me.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

mm84321,

Can you speak a little more about the sauce comte. I gather it is a cheese sauce made with comte cheese and perhaps garnished with chives? And is that a spinach purée beneath the egg? It all looks very tasty.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sure. It is made by sweating shallots in butter, then adding white wine and reducing until almost dry. Then creme fraiche, reduced by a quarter, and finally the comté diced into a brunoise, simmered to infuse, then passed through a chinois and finished with black truffle. The egg sits on a puree of spinach seasoned with nutmeg, and is garnished with a circle of spinach leaf and a circle of comté, which is melted briefly under the broiler. Very nice dish. 

Sure. It is made by sweating shallots in butter, then adding white wine and reducing until almost dry. Then creme fraiche, reduced by a quarter, and finally the comté diced into a brunoise, simmered to infuse, then passed through a chinois and finished with black truffle. The egg sits on a puree of spinach seasoned with nutmeg, and is garnished with a circle of spinach leaf and a circle of comté, which is melted briefly under the broiler. Very nice dish.

Thank you. I would love every bite as long as we could drop the truffle! I love dishes that treat an egg as the amazing ingredient it is.

My 2004 eG Blog

This is homemade piadina topped with sautéed green cabbage, reheated Lancashire hot pot and some dressed greens. The piadina was the most disappointing part of this meal. I followed a recipe from Academia Barilla but ended up with a tough and tasteless flatbread.

I had researched recipes for this Italian specialty and they ranged all over the map. Some called for baking powder, some baking soda, some for neither. The fat could be butter, lard or extra-virgin olive oil. The one I chose called for baking powder and extra-virgin olive oil.

Anna, try this one. Scale it down if it's too much.

1 kg flour

150 g lard

30 g salt

15 g honey, not too aromatic

18 g baking powder

150 g milk

300 g water

Don't work it too much, like a shortbread. It should be soft but not sticky. Let it rest 1 hour. Make 150 g portions. Roll them out in 3-5 mm thickness and punch them with a fork.

A few courses from the past couple of days. Homemade cornetti has become our Christmas tradition with various treats from Teitel Brothers. 

P1030315rs.jpg

Bouillabaisse as a second course.

P1030317rs.jpg

Tonight was fresh pasta with a bouillabaisse influence.

P1030320rs.jpg

• Like 10

Anna, try this one. Scale it down if it's too much.

1 kg flour

150 g lard

30 g salt

15 g honey, not too aromatic

18 g baking powder

150 g milk

300 g water

Don't work it too much, like a shortbread. It should be soft but not sticky. Let it rest 1 hour. Make 150 g portions. Roll them out in 3-5 mm thickness and punch them with a fork.

Why thank you, Franci. If I still have lard and I think I do I will try this tomorrow.

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I was gifted with a Pink Kitchen Aid,its my first one so I'm going to have a blast with her. Homemade pasta tonite. Fettuccine Carbonara: (it would be prettier without all the ground black pepper but it wouldn't have been tastier!)

10885268_10152473999232703_131317386129990354_n.jpg10885595_10152473999242703_8607054218528381664_n.jpg

• Like 6

I'm in Brooklyn but, go to Kansas City a few times a year.   i have had this bottle in the fridge for the last few months and used that for a vinegar punch.  i was looking for pickled peppers but, couldn't find any. then thought, srirachi, and then noticed AB.  It goes very well with beef.. And, the leftover pieces of meat were the less desirable pieces, kind of like the burnt ends of the NY Strip, if you will.  So, it was a natural fit with the charred ends of the dry aged steak. 

Dinner here is still under consideration.  I came home tonight with Brussels sprouts (as well as a lot of limes).  I thought I had seen a recent picture in this thread where someone had cooked (probably sautéed) the individual leaves of Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Unfortunately I cannot find the post.  Can anyone help me out?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner here is still under consideration.  I came home tonight with Brussels sprouts (as well as a lot of limes).  I thought I had seen a recent picture in this thread where someone had cooked (probably sautéed) the individual leaves of Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Unfortunately I cannot find the post.  Can anyone help me out?

I'm pretty sure that post was by Franci.... 

Thanks.  Same idea I think, but not the picture I remembered.  This (I think) was a posting in the past few days...as in made me want to go out and buy Brussels sprouts.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou