• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Soup.  Oil, lightly crushed garlic cloves, chicken stock, water, Hon-Dashi flakes [Ajinomoto], fresh wood-ear fungus, fish balls [Venus], soft tofu chunks [House Foods], trimmed Thai basil at the end; served w/ chopped scallions scattered in.

DSCN3435a_800.jpg

ETA: I had a second bowl of it too.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So I was out at lunch today at Thai restaurant but did not have room for my salad so it came home with me and became my dinner. It is a Thai beef salad that is on the far side of what I can tolerate comfortably spice-wise!

What would your "spice level" be?  Does it refer to heat/Scoville units, or does it refer to savoriness as spices would normally deliver?  What does "spice-wise" refer to?  Scoville units? Savoriness? Complexity of flavors? Oher-than-Western-ess?

What would your "spice level" be?  Does it refer to heat/Scoville units, or does it refer to savoriness as spices would normally deliver?  What does "spice-wise" refer to?  Scoville units? Savoriness? Complexity of flavors? Oher-than-Western-ess?

Let's just say that my sinuses are so clear I may not need to worry about them for the next four years. I was incredibly glad that I was at home where a box of tissues was at hand and I could only embarrass myself.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna I think I knew what you meant!

Tonight I made stove-to-broiler pizza with red bell and hot coppa.

This is quickly becoming my favorite way to cook za but you can see this pie was a little too big for my broiler.

RBpcU9j.png

• Like 3

image.jpg

Chicken thighs, tiny button mushrooms, carrot ribbons and peas served over rice.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Wierd as it Be!!

This was a result of my wife hating Carbs!!

Osso bucco with Yam Noodles:

OssoBucco was S/P amd floured and browned -- Miropix leeks carrots celery ( garlic )/ parsley -- deglazed with a ribolla gallalera wine  ..and commercial cucina sauce added.

Cooked open top

Yam noodles and bok choy--boiled in a bit of  red sauce/salt and Hoisin

Osso Bucco.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

Finished wrapping most of the Christmas presents today.  Annnnnnddddd my washing machine broke a couple days ago.  I took it apart.  The pump has gone out, so I ordered a new one.  Spent most of the day (in-between wrapping) staring out the window for FedEx to bring me my new pump.  Never showed :(  I hope they come tomorrow.  I'm NEEDING my washer.

Anyway, I needed comfort food tonight.

Smoked boudin, eggs, toast, tomatoes and hash browns .  My husband and I were going to share eggs....scrambled and runny...somehow I missed out on the runny....

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 11

image.jpg

Grilled duck breast, grilled treviso and "loaded" orzo.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fritatta? Crustless quiche? No matter. I just called it dinner. Bottled artichoke hearts, tiny button mushrooms both sautéed in butter. Eggs lightly beaten with some cream. A sprinkling of Gruyere and a few judiciously placed taste bombs (Saint Agur).

Edited to call the cheese by its correct brand name.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Poor Mr. Kim – I have hardly cooked at all this past week.  Mostly just our standbys – breakfast for dinner, grilled cheese and TAKE OUT!

Some gougieres that I made for a Christmas party at church:

med_gallery_3331_114_12277.jpg

Lunch/dinner today:

med_gallery_3331_114_96989.jpg

A couple of cheeses from Southern Seasons and a friend’s cheese ball.  The cheese on the left is Berkswell from Neals Yard Dairy UK and the one on the right is Montgomery’s Cheddar from Manor Farm in Somerset, UK.  We loved the Cheddar, but found the Berkswell a bit too stinky for our tastes.

• Like 6

Shopping at Costco today we shared a late lunch of a bucket of poutine! We were full at dinner time still. Late evening snack was our dinner.

Rummaging through the fridge came up with appies of tricuits with chicken salad, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a spicy pickled bean:

1523129_10152460498422703_118802523860224979_o.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Chicken thighs called "cuisine approximate" by Nigel Slater. Is that not a brilliant term that you would like to commandeer? Hoisin sauce is mixed with garlic, ginger, sriracha, lime juice, light soy sauce and five spice powder, dumped onto the chicken thighs and baked for 30 minutes. Doesn't quite fit into any known cuisine but it's quite tasty, very tender and easy to do. I had a couple of Gem lettuces that had seen better days but dressed with walnut oil and lemon juice they made a nice counterpoint.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally got the right texture with homemade pasta tonight

I used my SV oxtail to make this dish. After cooling the oxtails I pulled as much meat as I could from the bones and tucked it away in the fridge. I sautéed onion,carrot,celery and garlic then added some stock and the shaggy tail bones to the pot and let it cook for a couple of hours. Removed the bones and narly bits and wizzed it smooth with the Bamix and let it reduce some more while I made the pasta. Added the meat to some sauce to warm while getting my pasta water hot

7012b712785b7a5cc155a5c364bf6d0d.jpgaee2f6248f990daa6fe75682141d8b62.jpg

• Like 7

Finally got the right texture with homemade pasta tonight

I used my SV oxtail to make this dish. After cooling the oxtails I pulled as much meat as I could from the bones and tucked it away in the fridge. I sautéed onion,carrot,celery and garlic then added some stock and the shaggy tail bones to the pot and let it cook for a couple of hours. Removed the bones and narly bits and wizzed it smooth with the Bamix and let it reduce some more while I made the pasta. Added the meat to some sauce to warm while getting my pasta water hot

7012b712785b7a5cc155a5c364bf6d0d.jpgaee2f6248f990daa6fe75682141d8b62.jpg

That oxtail ragu would be dynamite in a ravioli made with your homemade pasta.  It would be rich so you would want to make small ones but it would be really good.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Saturday was another lasagna to replace the one I dropped and had shards of glass in.  Same as before but with 93% beef instead of bison. 

Last night was coq au vin with homestyle egg noodles.  One of the best gravies I have done.  Leftovers for the next few days........

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites