• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Here was a three course meal I put together recently. The first was the caramelized carrot soup from The Modernist Cuisine, garnished with some hot coconut chutney foam. The foam was outstanding, essentially the recipe has you made a fluid gel (using low acyl gellan) with coconut milk, coconut cream, mint, cilantro, and a small amount of hot green pepper. Then you charge it with a whipping siphon and serve it hot.

tumblr_nhbmgjCH1r1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

I had a pork jowl dish at a local restaurant recently, which kind of inspired the next dish. I brined some chicken thighs (and added a good amount of liquid smoke), then cooked them sous vide for 4 hours at 150 F. I served the chicken with some Brussels sprouts kimchi, asian pear, whipped lemon creme fraiche, radish sprouts, and Togarashi.

tumblr_nhbmluFjwr1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Finally for dessert I made about half of the components for the "Mint & Chocolate" recipe from Eleven Madison Park. This included spearmint sorbet, chocolate mousse, chocolate cookie crumble, and whipped creme fraiche.

tumblr_nhbmp31kUN1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 13

Chocolate espresso torta from Hands of a Chef by Jody Adams. It's great straight up or dressed up a little.  It holds well and we have served it at four meals. Great dessert from a very fine cookbook.

attachicon.gifP1030332rs.jpg

Steve,

I rarely comment on dessert photos as I am not much of a fan of sweets but I keep coming back to yours over and over. I swear I can taste it just by looking at the photograph. I am going to go downstairs very shortly and get my copy of her book.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a beef stock with shank, so a we had a little bowl of the stock with broken up angel hair's, bone marrow with a runner & stone baguette, roasted and rubbed with garlic, salt. Some very good smoked guanciale. Cauliflower. Carrot and jicama that my kids like.

image.jpg

• Like 10

It must have been Franci's Brussles sprouts I saw.  I can think of no other explanation.  Not that I didn't spend hours looking for what I had in my mind.  I can only plead old age or extreme tiredness.  M.R. was not a factor.

Anyhow with great difficulty I pulled apart some Brussels sprouts.  (If I want them whole they fall apart into a pile of leaves.)  For lack of a better idea I sautéed the leaves in butter.  Then deglazed with Bombay (not Sapphire).  Nice flavor, but I think I should have left them crisper.

And the butter sauce was a little rich.

The main course was leftover turkey Tetrazzinni.  And did I mention the M.R?  I finished eating quarter till five but I'd only been up for thirteen hours.  Dessert may be cheese and fruit that's set out on the table.  But I'm running out of M.R.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Happy Boxing Day!  

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

I love the days after Christmas.......everything is done and I can take time and enjoy my Christmas lights :)

Christmas eve I decided on Christmas enchiladas .....well I called them Christmas enchiladas.

Seafood enchiladas (white), Chicken enchiladas with hatch chile sauce (red), Green rice and Rancho Gordo beans (the name of them escapes me right now)

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

Christmas day we spent a couple hours at my in-laws house.  My sister-in-law made three pans of lasagna and salad.  Everything was very good.  I contributed bread.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

I didn't eat too much there, though, because I was saving room for the prime rib that was relaxing in my fridge :)  He's all seasoned up here and ready for his fridge time uncovered.

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

I was nervous about cooking it, but, I gotta say, it was a Christmas miracle.  It turned out soooooooo good.  I put it in at 4:00 p.m. at 210 degrees F.  Recipe said 200 F, but my oven runs a bit cold.  I took it's temp at 6:30 and it was at 90 degrees F.  At 7:30 it was a perfect 120 degrees F so I took it out and let it rest for 30 mins.  In the meantime I heated the oven up to 500 degrees F.  After the rest I popped it back in for about 6 mins. so that the outside was nicely seared.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

Shelby

Try a la Ina Garten tying fresh tarragon leaves on the beef before roasting...really good.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Terribly ugly picture/really good sandwich

Thinly sliced leftover prime rib on a bun with swiss cheese and horseradish and some sautéed onions....oh and curly fries

photo.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6

Various meals.

Soup.  Short-cut pork spare ribs, some chicken stock (oil, garlic too), snow fungus, angled loofah, cellophane noodles.

DSCN3504a_800.jpg

Thinly-sliced beef sirloin roughly hand-shredded, pan-fried w/ shallots, standard mushrooms, hot long green chillies, a lot of coriander leaves, fresh lime juice, Bulldog sauce, plus a little of this and that.  Eaten w/ 1) wild rice [bineshii] and 2) angel hair pasta [De Cecco].

DSCN3510a_800.jpg

DSCN3515a_800.jpg

Turmeric chicken wings.  Steamed eggs.  Garlic stir-fried pull mustard. White rice.

DSCN3520a_800.jpg

DSCN3522a_800.jpg

Pork & shrimp wontons and wonton noodles (both commercial) in chicken broth w/ sliced negi.

DSCN3525a_800.jpg

• Like 7

Anyhow with great difficulty I pulled apart some Brussels sprouts.  (If I want them whole they fall apart into a pile of leaves.)  For lack of a better idea I sautéed the leaves in butter.  Then deglazed with Bombay (not Sapphire).  Nice flavor, but I think I should have left them crisper.

Try stir-frying them with a meat of your choice. (An example)  If you "do" Chinese-style cooking at all, that is.

image.jpg

Spicy chicken wings.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have become quite enamoured of the concept of the sheet pan supper. It is perfect for singletons who don't want a lot of washing up to do. Tonight it was chicken thighs, carrots and parsnips seasoned with Trader Joe's "seasoning salute".

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Cold hit NY today.. it was around 32 degrees after our mid afternoon walk.  I started a simple stock. i was just using up everything in the fridge.  a half a bottle of white wine that had no cork and was sitting in the fridge.  an onion, 6 cloves of garlic, a pepper, water,black pepper, spicy paprika, fennel pollen,  salt, bay leaves, three anchovies, some leftover pork liver pate, some dried mushrooms.. celery and some baby carrots chopped and little tomato paste..  This cooked for about an hour.  I tasted it before deciding I should add curry.. i had this bag of yellow curry i recently purchased an Kalustyans so, I added a bunch of the curry with the end of cilantro and some parsley stems.  that cooked for an hour.. Then, I added a head of cauliflower and a cup of green lentils, lowered the heat and let that cook for 40 minutes. 

16150633732_ca16c5bc91_z.jpg

Served with the very last of the sour cream and the middle pieces of a loaf of bread leftover from Xmas Eve.. also added the last cup of cream making it a Rhode Island style cauliflower chowda.  This was a score.. we are moving product and not waisting anything. squeezed a half a lime over top. 

15964082510_eed5618ed3_z.jpg

• Like 8

gfweb – that confit, risotto and sprouts meal is one of the most perfect meals that I can imagine!

Nina – the sauce on your short ribs looks incredible.  Thanks for the explanation!

Norm – what an absolutely beautiful Christmas Eve dinner.  I probably would have overserved myself on bread, shrimp and eggs and not had room for that gorgeous beef!

Shelby – oh, my DEAR – that beef.  I believe my chin just hit the keyboard.

Mmmpomps – love the pink KA!  I have a silver one and getting it professionally painted pink is on my wishlist!

My first holiday cooking was our annual Christmas Eve celebration.  I changed the menu again this year – same goodies and sweets, but the meal was different.  I did the CI Modern Beef Burgundy with egg noodles, salad, cheeses, fruits, crackers and bread. 

Beef Burgundy:

med_gallery_3331_338_118865.jpg

Through some experimentation I discovered that I could freeze the basic beef and sauce mixture and then do the mushroom and pearl onion mixture the day before serving.  I heated it all up together early in the day and adjusted the seasoning and put it in slow cookers.  The noodles were cooked the day before and plunged into boiling water and held in a slow cooker, too.  This worked amazingly well – everything tasted lovely and the meat was so tender. 

Green salad with bleu cheese dressing, my Dad's paprika dressing and pumpernickel croutons:

med_gallery_3331_338_72956.jpg

Cheeses:

med_gallery_3331_338_17497.jpg

Just Costco Gouda, Brie and Cheddar.

Grapes, clementines and Lady apples:

med_gallery_3331_338_127693.jpg

Some nice, crusty bread from Whole Foods:

med_gallery_3331_338_51724.jpg

I’ve put all the sweets in the Your Daily Sweets thread.

For my MIL’s Christmas celebration on the 26th, she requested Texas Caviar:

med_gallery_3331_338_19152.jpg

Served with pita chips.  Very good.  A couple of folks ate so much of this while the rest of the prep was going on that they hardly ate any dinner!

• Like 11

Used a pack of chicken thighs I cooked SV last week for dinner tonight. . Cooked in a 400 degree oven until the skin was crispy and served with a baked potato. The meat was melt in your mouth tender and juicy and the skin was crackling good.

93175f701d6440a11f757d3ab87d7071.jpg

• Like 6

I spent the day yesterday prepping for tonights NYE/anniversary meal, so since I was kinda busy, I decided to utilize the slow cooker and make goose and noodles for last nights dinner.

Mr. Shelby shot this goose last weekend and it's been brining ever since.  Dr. Lecter has a high interest in anything bird....especially geese.

photo 1.JPG

I roasted it  Monday on the rotiss.  Did I mention Dr. Lecter likes geese?   Or maybe he's just in to photoboming?

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Along with the meat I used carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes that I canned.  

Roasting the bird first gives it a great flavor.  Then when it's in the slow cooker for hours, it gets fall apart tender.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9