• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

A couple of dinners...my hard drive crashed so have been without our main computer for a few days:

Boned trout, stuffed with crab, a little panko, parsley, lemon, sliced mushrooms.  Cooked en papillote.  Nice and moist.  Sorry no finished dish picture.

DSC00727.JPG

Pan seared fillet steak with zucchini and D. Madison's Tunisan Pepper Stew.

DSC00726.JPG

David Thompson's Chili sauce to go with a roast chicken.  Lots of chili and garlic all pounded together then simmered in sugar and vinegar.  Really nice fresh taste with heat (I chickened out and took all the seeds out) :cool:

DSC00729.JPGDSC00731.JPG

• Like 9

I recently made some salmon crudo. I briefly (~4 minutes) brined the salmon in a salt-sugar water brine, and paired it with some cilantro oil, pickled shallots, sanbaizu (dashi + sugar + soy sauce + rice vinegar).

tumblr_nj2araJqpa1rvhqcjo2_1280.jpg

Also, I pretty much made this dessert recipe exactly as stated: Olive oil cake, dehydrated cake crumbs, eggless vanilla ice cream, orange fluid gel, orange foam, and confit citrus supremes.

For some reason the gel didn't set fully, so the foam wasn't as stable as I'd like it to have been. Other than that, it was damn good, and tasted more or less like an orange creamsicle. 

tumblr_nipf4tEeSy1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 16

nice

Okanagancook

but what's on the R of your first Pic ?

That is the other fish before I put the second fillet on top of the filling spread on the first fillet.  And before the mushrooms were placed on top.  This is a great way to cook fish, well, for me because I seem to always over cook fish.  Which probably explains where we don't eat much fish besides these farmed trout.  

ShortRibs02012015.jpg

Tonight's gratin dauphinois was a disappointment.  I over cooked it.  The thirty second haricots verts were as they always are:  they can neither be augmented nor diminished.

The pinnacle was the 72 hour short ribs.  I cannot imagine better beef.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Baselerd, Wow, that salmon is so colourful. Looks delicious.

Last night's dinner.

Strip%20Loin%20Roast%20January%2031st%2C

Small sterling silver strip loin. Presalted and roasted on high heat.

Strip%20Loin%20Roast%20January%2031st%2C

[Note: This topic continues here, Dinner 2015 (Part 1)]

Edited by Mjx
Note added (log)
  • Like 13