• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

I am not  pleased with my  kitchen, the light is horrible in winter and as soon as  car goes over  the rail road crossing,  the cameras get  problems due to the head light and we get blinded unless we have the blind shut.   I need to turn the light on at 10 in the morning to see anything . MEH. Not pleased at all.

20150123_171517_zpsbe95dcec.jpg

My dinner plate yesterday,  greens, ham steak, cold sauce and  baked potatoes.  We really loved it

20150123_171042_zpsa60b10cb.jpg

My daughters plate, she added on everything she wanted to eat, it is mostly potatoes, vegetables and sauce with little meat.  I think my kid kills the myth that kids  dont eat vegetables. 

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

The camera has been drinking. Not me. Not me. Not me. Not me. Not me.

DSC_0017_zps8e01a76b.jpg

A fillet of 'duckfish', also known as boarfish, I bought from the farmer's market this morning (trying out a stall that billed itself as selling high quality frozen seafood 'straight from the boat'). I cooked the fillet sous vide (~20 minutes, 48C), chilled it and then gave it a brief sear with some butter. The salad is a modified version of Keith_W's popcorn salad. I subbed the pickled jalapenos for my own, milder pickled green chillies and cut the lime juice with some of my pepper vin. The potatoes were cooked with diced bacon.

The fishmonger mentioned duck/boarfish eats prawns and crabs and that the flesh took on their flavour. Sure enough, there was that fatty shellfish taste. As much as the article says the flavour is delicate, I found it to be very strong. I couldn't eat the full fillet (not pictured), even though it was quite small.

• Like 4

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Although it originated among the Hakka people, it is also popular here among the Zhuang people. Known as 扣肉 (kòu ròu) which literally means "bowl meat", it is served at pretty much every family festive meal. I'll be eatin git every day through the upcoming Spring Festival. The taro version is the preference here. 

It gets the name as the interlaced pork and taro slices are steamed in a bowl, which is then tipped for serving retaining it's bowl shape. Most people seem to buy them ready prepared. Even the local supermarkets offer it. 

Here is one I bought and ate recently:

We cook this dish so rarely nowadays in my family, takes so many processes. That combination of soft pork and taro is so good isn't it. What's the flavouring like in your region? I see chilli flakes in there, we would never add chilli to ours. Also do you think the supermarket offerings go through all the cooking processes? Looks drier than we would have it too.

I see chilli flakes in there, we would never add chilli to ours. Also do you think the supermarket offerings go through all the cooking processes? Looks drier than we would have it too.

Yes, well, they like chilli here (as do I) - although not all versions have it. 

It does tend to be drier here than what I see in your picture, although the one in my picture is perhaps drier than usual. But in any version here the moisture tends to be mainly fat. 

Next month I will be eating it a lot, as I said. I will post pictures later and torture my hosts for more details.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Vienna has a long tradition of cooking with beef. today I picked an old recipe which you can hardly find on menues in our restaurants these days. rumpsteak, lots of dijon mustard, fresh grated horseradish and then treated as a normal schnitzel.

IMG_0955.JPG

• Like 8

Beef short ribs braised w/ garlic & oil, shiro miso, bamboo shoots**, wood-ear fungus, simmer ~ 4-5 hrs; hon-mirin, sea salt, splash of double-fermented soy sauce; simmer a short while more.  White rice.

DSCN3731a_800.jpg

** Fresh winter bamboo shoots - new crop now turning up in stores; de-bract-ed, trimmed, sliced, etc -- like these in this post; plus packaged (water) more slender shoots.  Both simmered in salted water for about a half hour then drained & rinsed well w/ fresh water.

In process - after addition of the miso.

DSCN3727a_600.jpg

• Like 2

I know Dinner thread posts sans photos are boring. That's why, at least until I get some means of posting photos myself, I rarely participate in this thread.

I had to make an exception tonight because I made pizza with King Arthur Flour's beer crust. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/quick-beer-crust-pizza-recipeThe photo with this recipe belies the appeal of this crust.

I used all unbleached AP flour, because I don't have and wouldn't know where to get semolina locally. Also I didn't use KA pizza crust seasoning, and added a little water when the dough looked too dry and shaggy to me. I like an ample hydration for good oven spring, but have no idea what percent because I don't weigh anything and go by look and feel.

I also think they are crazy to call for two 10" or even 12" pizzas from this recipe. I split the dough in half after kneading vigorously for about 10 minutes and wrap and stick half in the freezer for later. I take the other half and let it go through the initial rise. Then I stretch and pat it into an 11" x 17" oiled non-stick cookie sheet. It doesn't "fight back" much after a two hour rise in the microwave, in which I have boiled a 2-cup Pyrex glass measuring cup of water, then put the covered bowl with the dough in and shut the door with the cup still in there. Then I let it rise in the pan. If you like a really thick crust, you may want to go with their instructions.

It's the best recipe for quick crust I know, and my usual go to now, even though I spent 40 years tweaking my own long ferment one.

The husband, who often discards the crusts, called out to me to bring his crust bits back to him when I took his plate to get him another slice. He said it was the best part.  :smile:

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Thanks for the support eG folks!

Oh how I wish I had a digital camera to show you some of my creations, though.

I'm the one who goes through all 1,362  pictures posted on yelp of Tony's Pizza Napoletana, living vicariously, yet I've no way to post hopefully interesting photos of my own creations.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tonys-pizza-napoletana-san-francisco

But you folks are GREAT for tolerating me anyway.  :wub:

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

A couple of meals I haven't posted on.

Spaghetti [Garofalo] and linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] w/ a tomato sauce in the style of Hazan.  Watercress wilted in chicken stock.

DSCN3692a_800.jpg

Stir-fry of rau húng quế, chicken, shallots, black bean garlic sauce, smashed garlic cloves.  White rice.
DSCN3735b_800.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the Crepes,  I use my mobilephone's camera, that is better then nothing.

Today I made a  dried chili curry for my husband, his lips went numb. So no complaints about meek curries any more.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Sous vide steak with spicy green beans.

image.jpg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

An easy and flavour packed meal: Red-legged partridges and parsnips. The creature is from Norfork, UK. Birds were marinated in tamari, merken, sherry, olive oil and seasoning etc. Tamari makes the crust look dark but it really is not burnt.

i5Y5baLCP8UDt.JPG

Just before going in the oven

ib2wh334Az0Txm.JPG

The marrow

iOJGRpyQdR69m.JPG

• Like 9

I have no idea how I should translate the name of this dish. in german it is a "gröstl" , fried potatoes with onions, lots of marjoram and black pudding. fresh grated horseradish on top and the cold outside is forgotten

IMG_0960.JPG

• Like 11

Didn't take any photos, but had friends over for dinner Friday night and made a paella with chorizo (cured, not fresh) and shrimp. Served it with a salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley and mint wtih olives, feta cheese, scallions and a lemon-garlic viniagrette, and sauteed green beans to which I added a spoonful of what was sold as piquillo pepper bruschetta topping. Added a sprinkle of smoked paprika to that. It was quite successful.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com