• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Phở đặc biệt chez huiray tonight.

Bánh phở, shaved ribeye (raw, semi-cooked by hot broth), oxtail meat, omasum tripe, sliced beef tendon, residual bone marrow plugs, chopped scallions, phở broth.

Rau húng quế ("Thai basil"), ngò gai (culantro), ngò (coriander leaves/cilantro), lime wedges (cut SE Asian style), mung bean sprouts.

DSCN3707a_800.jpg

In process:

Beef tendon, after cooking in the broth.
DSCN3693a_600.jpg

Finished broth, in the pot, before fishing out solids (tendons already removed) and filtering through cheesecloth.  (Beef bones w/ marrow, oxtail, both blanched before the stock proper ("fei sui"); charred shallots & ginger, star anise pods, cloves, stick cassia, black cardamom, coriander seeds, fish sauce, rock sugar.)
DSCN3696a_600.jpg

Omasum tripe, after cooking separately in salted water plus some of the broth plus a couple of the ginger pieces.
DSCN3699a_600.jpg

Oxtail meat, deboned, recovered from the finished broth.
DSCN3701a_600.jpg

DSCN3693a_600.jpg

DSCN3696a_600.jpg

DSCN3699a_600.jpg

DSCN3701a_600.jpg

DSCN3707a_800.jpg

• Like 9

Here are some dinners we have had recently.

20150118_171536_zps87fa91e0.jpg

Swedish meatloaf with lingon preserve, gravy, baked carrots, peas and potatoes.

20150118_172329_zpsd2530d5c.jpg

Swedish meatloaf doesnt contain ketchup or has a coating of ketchup or  BBQ sauce,  it either bacon or  soy sauce with butter brushed on it.

20150121_171214_zpsc9c6ef2b.jpg

Cottage pie from my Scottish cookbook, it has lots of   veggies.

• Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Happy Anniversary, PrawnCrackers!  I don't think I've ever had langoustines.  Looks right up my alley!

Huiray, I haven't had tripe in years and years.  I would like a big spoonful of yours.

Venison burgers on homemade buns

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

• Like 11

image.jpg

Blue plate special for my adult son. Mini meatloaf, baked potato, peas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I made beef stock with some beef shank and necks/knuckles I had in the freezer. Bone marrow was cut from the shin and left to soak in salted water and was simmered in some stock just to cook through. In the same stock I reheated the meat (that was my cup to drink). Some kale, broccoli, always present kimchi, some left overs in little bowls. For the kids, Italian version of congee. Beef stock, rice, pressured cooked 6 minutes, crumble shin in the bowl.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Life has been......full of stress to say the least, lately.  Of course, that affects our food choices.  

My WONDERFUL egg suppliers chickens finally decided to begin laying again so we got a dozen eggs.

Tonight we needed breakfast for dinner.

Boudin, fresh eggs and fried taters

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

• Like 13

How long does that meat cupcake take to cook? 30 min at 350?

Yup. Took it to 160 Fahrenheit.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

it has been about 3 weeks since I stopped by my fish guy.. I picked up some shrimp. made a garlic sauce.  tomato paste, wine, a half piece of bacon, bay, garlic made into a paste, salt, hot paprika, thyme,black pepper butter and olive oil. 

16343580231_e75aec4637_z.jpg

came out super rich

15725392273_89c4523e0f_z.jpg

added this pasta.. it was really good. cooked for three minutes. it was dried and shelf stable but, tasted very similar to fresh.  it was a sample but, i think it was like a 5 dollar retail.  

16159453857_72d94142c4_z.jpg

Added spinach with the par sautéed shrimp, moments before the cooked pasta.  A shot of olive oil and black pepper. it was really nice. 

16157735498_f989148133_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 15

Yesterday dinner was braised duck leg braised with pinot noir sauce and green salad with shallot vinaigrette. The duck recipe was from the NY Times, originally adapted from "Bay Wolf Restaurant Cookbook". It is a relatively simple recipe, easy to make and yet super tasty.

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

• Like 12

Another bowl of phở.  (See here** for the stock & etc)

Being assembled.  Raw shaved ribeye, cooked sliced tendon, cooked sliced tripe.

DSCN3714a_800.jpg

Assembled bowl.  I added beef balls w/ tendon (commercial) to the reheated stock/broth; and also just barely wilted the Thai basil in the hot broth immediately before transferring to the bowl.  Everything went into the bowl this time except the coriander leaves and the bean sprouts which were added as eating went along.

DSCN3719a_800.jpg

** Hmm, I notice now that the previous picture had a strong yellow cast.  My regrets.

• Like 6

Prawncrackers please stop! There are now tongue tracks on my iPad. Can you tell us more about the pork and the taro dish and particularly what makes it Hakka.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a classic Hakka dish "Woo Tau Kau Yuk" or taro with pork. Basically the pork belly is poached then fried then steamed to ensure perfect soft mouthfeel. The taro is also fried first before steaming with the pork. The flavouring is predominately red-fermented beancurd and Chinese miso (and other secret ingredients). It's a true soul food dish.

• Like 1

For one rendition of the preserved mustard greens version of the pork belly and taro dish see here (梅菜扣肉).  Linda Lau Anusasananan also has two detailed step-by-step renditions of the mustard greens version in her book given in the pale-orange pages (i.e. the "classic" dishes).

Edited by huiray (log)

Thank you Prawncrackers and huiray.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Can you tell us more about the pork and the taro dish and particularly what makes it Hakka.

Although it originated among the Hakka people, it is also popular here among the Zhuang people. Known as 扣肉 (kòu ròu) which literally means "bowl meat", it is served at pretty much every family festive meal. I'll be eatin git every day through the upcoming Spring Festival. The taro version is the preference here. 

It gets the name as the interlaced pork and taro slices are steamed in a bowl, which is then tipped for serving retaining it's bowl shape. Most people seem to buy them ready prepared. Even the local supermarkets offer it. 

Here is one I bought and ate recently:

kourou1.jpg

kourou2.jpg

kourou3.jpg

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Having a surfeit of ciabatta I cut half a loaf in half lengthwise and mounded it with provolone and salami, pouring on olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Accompanied by a recipe of grilled radicchio from Bitter.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou