• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Pleased the the Hunter Kitty-ies have no Knead to go outside for the Hunt. Smart they are ...

M.R.  erases many things:  Not Green Bells nor Celery.   :raz:

the trick on the Bacon,  is :

1) fat melts

2) one might trim the Fat-ey ends and save them  :  Baking ?    :wub:

just saying

looks delicious, as El Gatos have already suggested ............

Meow, gobble gobble  

• Like 1

BTW: pls consider for the Future ML :

Venison is learn, Yes ?

consider grinding in some bacon, of Excellent Quality, as best you can find or buy

including the fatty ends.

not to much, finely chopped in the Next Venison ML

just saying   ...

you will not need a lot 

id like to very much hear what you think of that idea, and how it works out.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

since i don´t have a SV setup other than stovetop hack i tend to cook "steak" like cuts in the oven at around 60C.

smothered the meat in dijon mustard with salt pepper and fennel. brusselsprouts where in the oven when the meat rested, then dressed with a dijonnaise dressing. polenta is polenta.

i know i´ll have the rest of the meat in a sammich tomorrow. should go well with the stilton i have left.

Edited by Constantin Peters (log)
  • Like 1

Shelby, that is a fine looking meat loaf. I love venison in meatloaf, with some sausage, and particularly in spaghetti sauce and chili. Now I'm about in the notion for meat loaf. That may be Sunday's dinner for the kids. I like to pat the meat out into a big, thin square on foil, sprinkle cooked bacon and drizzle barbecue sauce, roll it up, then cover with bacon and more BQ sauce. Rotuts will be happy to know there are NO bell peppers anywhere in the vicinity of my meat loaf.

I also love venison summer sausage.

You going to the races this year? I miss Hot Springs this time of year....

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Shelby, that is a fine looking meat loaf. I love venison in meatloaf, with some sausage, and particularly in spaghetti sauce and chili. Now I'm about in the notion for meat loaf. That may be Sunday's dinner for the kids. I like to pat the meat out into a big, thin square on foil, sprinkle cooked bacon and drizzle barbecue sauce, roll it up, then cover with bacon and more BQ sauce. Rotuts will be happy to know there are NO bell peppers anywhere in the vicinity of my meat loaf.

I also love venison summer sausage.

You going to the races this year? I miss Hot Springs this time of year....

Between you and Rotuts you've made me quite curious about the bacon....I will have to try it.  I'm craving spaghetti and meat sauce.  I have hamburger buns rising, but I may have to put off the burgers until tomorrow....we'll see how I feel after a glass of wine :)

I always think of you this time of year.  I have been glued to TVG and Oaklawn.  I was glad we had no plans to go over for opening weekend!  I'd love to sneak over for the Rebel...we'll see.  

Between you and Rotuts you've made me quite curious about the bacon....I will have to try it.  I'm craving spaghetti and meat sauce.  I have hamburger buns rising, but I may have to put off the burgers until tomorrow....we'll see how I feel after a glass of wine :)

I always think of you this time of year.  I have been glued to TVG and Oaklawn.  I was glad we had no plans to go over for opening weekend!  I'd love to sneak over for the Rebel...we'll see.  

If you go, let me know. Will try to go over and meet you there.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

What I wanted for dinner tonight was a bowl of cold soba noodles. I made a miso dressing in preparation. But my pantry failed to produce the necessary noodles! So what I had was a mushroom, pea and orzo "risotto" and a notation on my shopping list to restock soba noodles.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I didn't follow a recipe but it is basically Cordon Bleu with laver added and then marinated in vinegar, garlic and oil before being browned in a skillet and finished in the oven.  We also had sweet potato yams baked with apples and asparagus dressed with melted butter, store bought Greek salad dressing and honey. Asparagus tasted good this time.  Last time it was funny tasting.

DSCN2244_zpsf3d5dfb9.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5

Ravioli mainly for the kids, I'm very glad they cleaned their plates. Husband and I ate more tapas style: frittata I really liked, sautéed shiitake, collards in wok, chorizo and guanciale, kimchi. A little cup of beef stock. I gave up wine this month, meat stock is better than water for me.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

rotuts – these are Jamaican patties: http://www.prestofreshgrocery.com/frozen/global-delights-jamaican-style-spicy-beef-turnover-5oz.html

I can only eat the mild ones and the only place that ever has them is 7-11 (already heated, next to the hot dogs) and this little overly expensive inner city grocery store near my daughter.  They are truly a guilty pleasure – utter crap, but somehow delicious.

Smithy – the food processor is easy to clean with thick, pasty things.  It has a blade that lifts out which you can scrape off with a silicone spoon and then you have this wonderful BIG area that you can scoop out.  I know that some vitamixes have removable blades, but if mine comes out, I can’t figure out how.  The little notches that you are supposed to put a wooden spoon into to maneuver it is covered with a plastic shield that is built into the body of the container.  So I spent forever scooping out the hummus a tablespoonful at a time.  Plus, when doing the actual blending of hummus, you need to test the consistency and add a little of this and a little of that and having to remove the lid and reach down with a spoon every time was awkward.  Plus, as scubadoo mentioned, it turned out a little too pasty.

Shelby – your chicken soup looks very much like mine!  Do you use tomato paste when you cook your chicken carcass?

Still doing softer food for Mr. Kim.  He’s much, much better (and heard good news from the dentist – tumor was benign!!!), but still a little sore.  Chicken and dumplings and Southern green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_90835.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_121567.jpg

• Like 7

As a good American and as a lazy woman I tend to have my dinner all on one plate.  Tonight though I began with a salad of last night's blanched haricots verts on a bed of organic spring mix, with vinaigrette.  The colors were so beautiful.

Main course was chicken tetrazzini.

While dining I was reading Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck Cookbook.  I had to laugh when as an apprentice Blumenthal was presented with a mountain of green beans to trim.  I have come to appreciate my green beans untrimmed.  And not just because I am lazy.  When was the last time you saw a string bean with a string?

I also had to laugh at the dichotomy between science and cookery, when Blumenthal described using transglutaminase in the 1980's.  I was isolating and using transglutaminase in the 1960's.  I just never thought to apply transglutaminase to food.  (And in fact the idea I still hasn't crossed my mind.)  If I had I might have made my fortune early on.

I seldom eat dessert but tonight's was a slice of roulade from the freezer.  Not my own, but one from an ICC pastry instructor (or whatever FCI is called these days).  Not that I don't have my own perfectly good pastry in the freezer.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Simple dinner last night.. We had the baby out for his first round of doctors.  we left at 11 and arrived home at 4. a full annoying day..  

My mother in law had dropped off a tray of Cosco pork chops with the steaks, the other day..  They actually looked really nice.. they were thick and had good color and marbling.   My friend who does the purchasing for his restaurant was over.. He too was impressed the offering.  

I didn't have much in the house and we were not all the hungry.  Miss k had come home from school and i made her a grilled cheese with bacon.  So at, 730 dinner time, there was much indifference.  

I made a paste with garlic, cumin, thyme, salt and black pepper in the mortar.   Pounded out the pork chops and painted a layer of paste on each chop before stacking.  I eventually squeeze two sour oranges into the bag.  

I took it a step further and floured with my fried chicken flour and deep fried.

Served with an avocado and red onion salad.      that got people eating.. 

16332900805_e3c062be79_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 6

Norm--Your chicken has me drooling.  It looks very creamy and comforting.

Franci--Lovely pasta, as usual!

Kim--SO happy that your husband is ok.  I know that had to have been a trying, stressful wait for the results.  Your chicken and dumplings look like just the ticket.  I've never used tomato paste, but it's funny you mention it because I'm making pork broth as we speak and the recipe called for basting the bones in tom. paste.  Do you find it adds a lot?

BK--I'm sure that was an exhausting day.  Your pork chops maybe made it all better :)

Spaghetti night won out.  

photo 2.JPG

• Like 6

Shelby - I think that the tomato paste adds some depth of flavor that I don't get when I don't use it.  I roast my bones and vegetables before I simmer them (actually I stick them in a crock pot overnight rather than simmer on the stove) and the tomato paste gets made into a sort of slurry with a little olive oil.  Then I toss the bones and veg with the slurry.  It also makes the color of my stock as pretty as yours!  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Shelby - I think that the tomato paste adds some depth of flavor that I don't get when I don't use it.  I roast my bones and vegetables before I simmer them (actually I stick them in a crock pot overnight rather than simmer on the stove) and the tomato paste gets made into a sort of slurry with a little olive oil.  Then I toss the bones and veg with the slurry.  It also makes the color of my stock as pretty as yours!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Got my hands on some truly remarkable beef this week. Galician txuleta, retired diary cows around 12 years old. I last had this at Asador Etxebarri and to do the memory of that meal justice I cooked this over hardwood embers. Turned out wonderfully, served with romesco sauce and a tortilla de patatas.  

P1190328.jpg

P1190340.jpg

P1190352.jpg

P1190331.jpg

Another great ingredient, live langoustines. First time I've seen them in my town so you know I had to buy them! Salt and pepper langoustine, my luxury chicken rice and tong ho choi. A lovely anniversary meal.

P1210026.jpg

P1210061.jpg

• Like 19

Chicken wings. Half tossed with homemade chipotle ketchup and half with a bastardized version of Buffalo sauce. Given my druthers I would prefer them with nothing more than salt-and-pepper but I was trying to help someone out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Costco rack of Lamb

Slather in a Maite d butter with Rosemary/Apple mint Serrano jelly  ( Crosse and Blackwell jelly/cognac/ dried peppers )  and Yukon golden potaotes with sous vide trumpet mushroons  (4hrs/90C )

Base Butter was a combo of garlic/worchester/cognac/lemon juice/Sand P

Crappy shot but during the work week no time for to organize--the set up

15717251313_ce32bc4ffe_h.jpg

Cheers Doc

15717251313_ce32bc4ffe_h.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7

Its good to have Morels