• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Something a little different for me:  reheated rib steak in butter.  Or perhaps more correctly "cooked" rib steak in butter as I'm not sure the meat quite reached that designation the first time around.  Broccolini and hollandaise.  Two sautéed eggs perfectly basted over English muffins (store bought).  Bottle of zinfandel (also store bought).

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Happy new year y'all! Been too busy cooking and eating to post but have been lurking with intent. Here's some fish sauce chicken wings which I did rather badly a couple of months ago but managed to nail it this time.

PC132395.jpg

I had a lot of crab roe and back fat leftover from a NYE meal I cooked. The white meat went to make croquettes so I was stuck with the rest. After some headscratching and several rounds of crab pate toast I decided to make dumplings out of them 蟹子餃子.

P1050009.jpgP1050022.jpg

Yesterday I bought a whole duck and felt inspired to invent a ducky dish so bought some duck eggs too. Made duck egg noodles, broke down the duck and pressure cooked a duck pho broth broth with the carcass to soak the noodles in. On top a tea-smoked duck breast and a soft boiled duck egg. I rendered the skin scraps down to make scratchings on the side. Shallots were browned in the rendered duck fat for extra flavouring! Shame there weren't any giblets with this duck.

Everything but the Quack:

P1060025.jpg

P1060032.jpg

Oh the link is broken in my last post, here's that duck noodle dish again. I had it the day after too and amped up the broth by adding some chilli bean paste to it. It was an improvement!

P1060030.jpg

P1070045.jpg

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)
  • Like 11

Shelby: My s-i-l would gobble up that "very very rare" venison you presented! He  makes a lot of jerky and cured sausages with the deer he hunts. THAT was what he brought out for treats for Xmas.

Our Xmas lights outside still come on at 6 pm. The tree will be up until Monday - after hubby's birthday. We'll have a tree-lite supper that evening as tradition dictates. :wink:

Prawncrackers: That meal is AMAZING!

Had a big package of chicken thighs but couldn't decide on which of two ways, so I did BOTH!

Stove-top Butter Chicken with Nana's bottled base - a brand available from Safeway, and baked ginger marmalade whole grain mustard chicken. They worked well together with Jasmine rice and steamed mixed vegetables. Wishing we had naan, but -40C is a tad too cold to be outside making naan in the Big Easy. Broke my pizza stone so that was not an option.

Chicken2Ways1894.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, YAY!  Another fellow Christmas decor leaver-upper :)  My husband's b-day is the 14th...maybe I should copy your wonderful tradition!

I'd love to hear more about your son in law's sausages.  Maybe he would share his recipe some day?

Breakfast for dinner last night.  I didn't make the smiley face on purpose lol.

Boudin, fried taters and eggs over toast

photo 1.JPG

• Like 8

Not a pretty picture, but very very tasty :

ShripmCurry1.jpg

this is Shrimp Curry on Basmati Rice and Peas.  it was very tasty and Easy Peasy :

Rice cooker basmati w fz thawed peas added after cycle ended.  a little butter and a little

Penzy's  Maharajah curry powder.  I like all of penzy's curry powders, but the Maha is in a league of its own.  the little butter added to the rice makes it richer, and I cook my rice on the firmer side, using less water.

Shrimp Curry : TJ's Fz shrimp, already cooked.  thawed.  Maya Kaimal Tikka Masala simmer sauce,

in this case 'shelf stable' version.  I simmer the sauce plain w no add-ins then add the add-ins that have

been previously cooked.  the add ins then don't toughen up. and serve over the rice when the add-ins

warm up.  Chopped red onion, and cilantro on top.

unfortunately no Naan in sight, nor a few cashews to sprinkle over the top.

:sad:

Im working my way through both the Maya and the Patak simmer sauces.

different they are, but all good. Maya richer, has more fat in it, probably butter.  Adding butter to Patak will get

you to a similar place.  Maya is richer, costs a bit more, and has a cinnamon initial point.  Patak is not as rich, 

and is tart to begin with.  when I remember i add a little butter to the patak.

Tonight will be a similar dish but using Patak's Tikka SS.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9

Oh the link is broken in my last post, here's that duck noodle dish again. I had it the day after too and amped up the broth by adding some chilli bean paste to it. It was an improvement!

Prawncrackers that is an amazing looking meal. Can you tell me something about the Banchan, please.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Prawncrackers that is an amazing looking meal. Can you tell me something about the Banchan, please.

Yes, the top one I have to admit is a Korean store bought fiddlehead banchan (gosari namul i think). The middle one is duck scratchings and the bottom is homemade kimchi. 

Yes, the top one I have to admit is a Korean store bought fiddlehead banchan (gosari namul i think). The middle one is duck scratchings and the bottom is homemade kimchi.

Thank you. I aspire to one day make a meal that looks like that! The ingredients, the plating, the presentation all speak of someone who pays more than token attention to the phrase "we eat with our eyes first".

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci,

You must say more about the rutabaga rice!

image.jpg

Nigel Slater's Lamb Mince over fettuccine.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Wonderful meals everyone.

Shelby that boudin looks so appetizing. Homemade, or from that Louisiana source you posted about?

I made coq au vin… It's 16F (-9C) here in NYC, I realize that might not sound so cold to some of you, but we don't have cars! This was great for the weather. Sorry for the second photo, something was acting up.

coq_au_vin_a_cooka.jpg

coq_au_vin.jpg

• Like 11

Franci,

You must say more about the rutabaga rice!

I made rutabaga spaghetti using a spiralizer, then, on-line, you will find suggestions of pulsing the spaghetti in a mixer to create rice. I didn't, I used this Westmark grated, large shredding tool to make the rice grains out of the spaghetti and they came out all the same size, perfect for my liking. The rutabaga rice was a surprise, I like it better than cauliflower rice. It keeps a bite and can absorb well other flavors.

The Westmark grated can be bought much more cheaply from amazon.de. I love this little tool, so much easier to wash than my mixer.

• Like 3

I made rutabaga spaghetti using a spiralizer, then, on-line, you will find suggestions of pulsing the spaghetti in a mixer to create rice. I didn't, I used this Westmark grated, large shredding tool to make the rice grains out of the spaghetti and they came out all the same size, perfect for my liking. The rutabaga rice was a surprise, I like it better than cauliflower rice. It keeps a bite and can absorb well other flavors.

The Westmark grated can be bought much more cheaply from amazon.de. I love this little tool, so much easier to wash than my mixer.

Franci,

So let me make sure I understand this completely. You take raw rutabaga and spiralize it. Then you take this spiralized rutabaga and grate it with the Westmark grater? And then I assume you cook it? How? Steam? Sauté? I have spiralized zucchini but it is fairly soft. Rutabaga, on the other hand, is very, very hard.

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci,

So let me make sure I understand this completely. You take raw rutabaga and spiralize it. Then you take this spiralized rutabaga and grate it with the Westmark grater? And then I assume you cook it? How? Steam? Sauté? I have spiralized zucchini but it is fairly soft. Rutabaga, on the other hand, is very, very hard.

Ah, ah, sorry Anna, this morning I'm a little absentminded. You are correct: I spiralized the rutabaga, then grated the spaghetti. For cooking I just sauteed briefly the rice with a little garlic and ground  beef/bacon, not long, just to retain some crunch.

I really want to open a new thread on cooking spriralized vegetables and rices because I'm realizing it could be really fun and it could lead to lot of interesting possibilities.

• Like 1

Not the healthiest meal but I REALLY wanted this:

Fish and chips with 3 dipping sauces: curry mayo, malt vinegar, spicy ketsup. I didn't follow a specific recipe, just the ingredients that I thought would work: AP flour, rice flour, baking powder, carbonated water, salt. Turned out light and crispy for the cod AND onion rings. All fried in rendered beef fat!

JanFish&Chips1897.jpg

Really happy with double-fried chips...wishing I had mushy peas...

JanChips1899.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had  mini roasties  and chicken &bacon burgers today, my husband cooked them and they turned out lovely.  He made  the burgers from home made  chicken mince and flavoured to perfection  and guess who's  camera refused to work?  Yeah mine.

So sad because he had made a gorgeous meal and was so proud, I'm  not cooking due to feeling poorly.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

This is a steak from the same package that I posted about in the regrettable food topic. Unlike that steak this one was recognizably from beef cattle. The side is repurposed couscous served as a salad. .

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Temperature was in single digits for the last few days. Yesterday the cold water line in the kitchen froze up and the car wouldn't start.  Water line thawed OK. No damage.  Let it drip last night and it didn't freeze again. The pipes I have are designed to expand with frozen water.  Car started later too.  I made chili for dinner tonight.

DSCN2167_zps7bdf68eb.jpg

• Like 12