• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

No, it is intended to be worldwide. There are only 168 hosts right now so coverage is light right now, as is traffic. Camille is the founder and she only started last Spring. Take a look at the site and search for places you might go to. Many of them are in France since that is where she started.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Short ribs cooked at 58C for 48 hours. I finished them over coals after something prompted me to flip through Francis Mallman's book. I guess the Caprihinia is as close to culturally-appropriate as I could get without cracking open a bottle of Malbec.

DSC_0009_zps069f5c26.jpg

Preparing the sides: burnt tomatoes with fennel and burnt carrots with goat cheese and rocket.

c5b8a52e-c297-42eb-a032-296f1eb9fcad_zps

The carrots.

DSC_0033_zps71d871bc.jpg

• Like 13

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Kate – I adore cinnamon rolls, but only made them from scratch once.  They were very good but a LOT of trouble.  Also, the recipe I used makes a dozen HUGE rolls.  Now when I have a craving, I go buy ONE at a bakery!  Every single plate of your food is gorgeous and delicious looking, but I have to ask:  what are those flat crouton-y looking things on the pork belly and shrimp plate?  Are they part of the belly or some bread thing?  They look amazing.

Patrick – your hoppin’ john looks wonderful.  I didn’t see any bell peppers, the presence of which steers me away from many versions.  Like rotuts, we are Benton’s fans.  Mr. Kim has introduced it to his co-workers , so every couple of months we get a gloriously stinky package on our front porch.  I always wonder if the UPS man orders a BLT that day for lunch without really realizing why!  :laugh:

Yesterday’s football dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_38699.jpg

Leftover vegetable soup.

med_gallery_3331_114_14641.jpg

Pigs in a blanket and boxed mac n cheese. (PS - that isn't ketchup in the little bowl, it's HP, a sausage roll trick I learned from my dad, Ted Fairhead, who some of you might remember.  Today would have been his birthday, so I'll probably have another one today in his honor).

• Like 5

20150104_165816_zpsf2c3441a.jpg

Yay for making food look boring! I should win an award!

Anyway  that is fried chicken filet, not a whole one I have sliced in 5  "patties"  per filet, cooks quicker  and I only use 2 for  2 adults, 1 kid and a lunch box. Pomme duchesse, I made half of the  four serving recipe and we had left overs, I love it.  Soured mustard sauce , is one of my favorite things with chicken and  some trees since our  daughter is in her Beaver period,  yes she says  she is beaver and eats the blopli trees   and I dont argue with a 2½ year old who want to eat vegetable.

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Braised Pork Shoulder in Red Sauce

Red Wattle Pork.. braised in a red sauce of Nina fresh roma tomato/hunts paste/ butter garlic/ evoo/ local italian seasoning blend/ pecorino.. yes a bit of SUGAR    

IMG_7765.JPG

• Like 8

Its good to have Morels

After helping out for two days and nights with a 2.5 year old granddaughter-diva and her 3-week old sister while daddy's away on a course, I finally had time to cook and enjoy our first meal for 2015 at home.

Pan-seared a single rib Sterling Silver prime roast, served with green peppercorn gravy (McCormick International), carrots and rice.

PanSearedSingleRibSS1882.jpg

Pure bliss as I will also be getting more than 4 hours of sleep tonight! This was a great end to my Xmas holidays. Back to teaching tomorrow!

• Like 5

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ohhhhhhhh, it is the last day of the holidays (to me)  I still have all of my Christmas lights and decor up...I'm still enjoying it too much to take it down.

Tonight started off with some foie gras

photo 1.JPG

Then we had some oyster stew

photo 2.JPG

It's going to end with Mr. Shelby and I snuggled in bed....him watching a movie and me reading a book that I can't put down :)

• Like 9

20150105_180523_zps32f80a50.jpg

This was supposed to be our day when everything changed, everything would get better  and no. 

This is a bowl of spaghetti of disappointment  and   I had some ice cream of despair,  life isnt fair and why, see the link...http://www.thelocal.se/20150105/over-100-swedes-trickedin-hoax-job-offer

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Pan-fried Arctic char over some hearty greens that were sauteed with bacon.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

chefmd

Thank you. I'd like to think this is what the dinner topic is all about (and the lunch and breakfast topics). It's all about inspiring one another to make something wonderful or just something different. To encourage us to spread our wings occasionally with exotic ingredients and sometimes to tighten our purse strings and yet still make something appetizing to look at and to eat.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My interpretation of bangers and mash. Sausages, mashed potatoes and a homemade mushroom gravy.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog