• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

OH oh. You may have just opened

canofworms-1.jpg.

There are a few Texans who might think so, a lot of others everywhere else who don't. 

I know, Norm, hence the laughing face.  I was taught to make bowl of red back in (19)82 when Johnnybird and I spent our first year of marriage in East Texas...Hooks and Texarkana to be specific.  Miss Sandy was SHOCKED....nay, HORRIFIED... when I asked her about beans.  And let us not discuss what she had to say to me about ground beef.   Needless to say she took me in hand and schooled me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That oxtail ragu would be dynamite in a ravioli made with your homemade pasta. It would be rich so you would want to make small ones but it would be really good.

Thinking along the same lines. Thought about ravioli for the 2nd pack of oxtail meat. It was getting late last night

Leftover restaurant braised leg of large lamb flavored mammal.  Reheated five hours. I still couldn't finish it.  Even with the help of half a bottle of zinfandel.  Good though.  And dinner was over before the sun came up.  As a side dish I prepared a grilled radicchio recipe from Bitter.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

estimated time of arrival?

Edited to add.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Carrot mash topped with small sausages. I would like to describe it as a carrot purée that would be really stretching the truth! The whole thing is Nigel Slater inspired. The sausages are roasted with two mustards and some lemon juice and the carrots are simply prepared with butter and seasoning.

Someone did some grocery shopping for me and one of the items on the list was 2 pounds of carrots. I should have specified with their tops still attached and perhaps I would not have got a 5 pound bag of ginormous carrots almost completely devoid of taste. What they lack in taste they make up for in fiber and are impossible to cook to the level of doneness needed for puréeing!

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

SCOOBADOO  what time should I be there?  Father-in-law is in Palm Harbor; Johnnybird's music partner is in Siesta Key.

ANNA maybe a good roast would beat those woody carrots into submission....along with some parsnips and white turnips  :wub: . Save  those sausages for me!

It is that "use up what will go bad in the fridge before we go away" night.  I also have to take up food for our lunch and dinner tomorrow since the house is uninhabited.  I am making Portugese sweet bread, cooking egg noodles so they are easy to reheat, made coq au vin which goes with the noodles in the microwave.  I'm taking up some maultashen that I have in the freezer as well as some beef broth.  I'm thinking all I want is some soup, bread and iceberg wedge.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

its so easy:

for 2:  600 g short ribs, bone in

1 carrot,

2 stalks celeriac,

1 large onion

, 5 gloves of garlic,

half a leek,

5 sprigs thyme,

2 bayleaf

one bottle dry red wine.

salt and pepper the ribs, dust them with flour, fry them, take them out, fry the vegetables until browned, meat on top. pour wine, bring it to cook and put in the oven for 10h at 120°C. take meat out, cut fat away and trim into cubes. strain juice and reduce to 200 ml.  mix 1 tbsp butter with some flour, mix into the sauce, let it simmer until flour taste is gone, season with s+p. put meat in and reheat. it can be done in a slowcooker

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

I won't give this dish a name because if I did someone would point out that I got it all wrong. And I surely did. In garlic infused olive oil I slowly cooked some tiny sliced potatoes and added a paper-thin sliced onion. I let them seethe in the olive oil until the onion and potatoes practically melted.

I plated it up with a sprinkle of hot smoked paprika and some parsley. I then raised a glass to the Spaniards who do it right.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Cassie works all day tomorrow.  She works today too but should be home for dinner tonight, so yesterday I made some Challah for today.  The recipe said 400º for 40 to 60 minutes. I set the timer for 40 minutes and when the crust was set put in the probe thermometer set for 190.  After 25 or 30 minutes it didn't smell right so I checked. Probe thermometer said 140 but the crust was almost black.  The Thermapen said 210.  Another loaf is rising in the kitchen now, the birds get yesterdays bread and the trash can got the probe thermometer.

The bread should be done before the roast is due to go in the oven, thanks to rapid rise yeast.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

we here in Vienna celebrate christmas on the 24th in the evening. so I treated myself with the following:

salad of red beetes with pomegranate and pistaccios

deep fried fillet of carp with potato salad

ice cream from vanilla sugar cookies

wish you all a merry X-mas!

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

• Like 7

image.jpg

My Christmas Eve dinner. Pickled herring on pumpernickel bread with crispy fried onions and a glass of ice cold akvavit. The beer chaser tonight would have been overkill given the amount of alcohol I had already consumed!

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Our Christmas Eve Dinner

DSCN2078_zpsdde2f69d.jpg

Rib Roast with baked new potatoes and cream horseradish sauce

DSCN2072_zpsb48e0f31.jpg

Green Beans with bacon vinaigrette

DSCN2061_zpsde44a45f.jpg

Shrimp Cocktail

DSCN2059_zps0c14ecab.jpg

Challah bread. ( the first loaf burned so I gave some to the birds, cut off the crust of the rest and will make French toast and croutons with it.

DSCN2055_zps989a45e4.jpg

DSCN2049_zps9966e0fd.jpg

And deviled eggs and assorted raw veggies

DSCN2039_zpsd32f00e7.jpg

• Like 14

My wife and I were not planning on celebrating Xmas.  However, we were sort of volunteered to throw a gathering,   So, instead of meeting for Chinese, we had 8 people come over last minute..  I starting cooking at 3 and people arrived at 6.  

We had sausages and cheese and some bread when people arrived.. Main was steak, creamed spinach/arugula, potatoes and New Orleans BBQ Shrimp and mushrooms. We cracked a couple of really nice bottles of wine,, there was a 15 year Barolo, a 20 year Tuscan a couple of bottles of Dom P..  

15480122583_3258db0545_z.jpg

classic version 40 oz of spinach, 10 oz of arugula.. garlic, onion, roux, milk, mustard, nutmeg

16099787615_1f8de044d8_z.jpg

Steaks on the egg:

15914045237_b4df45ca11_z.jpg

shrimp

15914040927_d521de26cd_z.jpg

• Like 14

We had a big Christmas lunch, so dinner was just to feed the kids and cook some food that was prepared for yesterday night and we didn't manage to finish.

Yesterday plan was to have baccala' fritters 2 ways, something that is very Ligurian, and a Prawnscrackers' recipe, with olive oil roux, potatoes and baccala'. We could only finish one kind and only tried a couple for taste of Prawncrackers' beignets. I fried those tonight and also a tray of homemade potatoes coquettes. Plus some greens to help eating the fried food.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5